Heat Shield Removal?

Hey guys, I've had a rattling noise at low RPMs (while driving) for a while and I'm 99% sure it's a heat shield causing it from other people's diagnosis and symptoms. I'm not quite sure what to be looking for, so any pictures, testimonies, or pieces of advice are welcome. Thanks!

I had a bad exhaust related buzz/vibration a while back. I ended up doing the entire exhaust but the noise was coming from inside the muffler. Best way to check is to crawl up under that mug and have a look while a friend you trust gives some revs..

• Like 1

... or wait for the pipes to cool and beat them with the side of your fist (watch out for falling debris!!). I just took a pair of channel locks and ripped/twisted my heat shields off years ago. I've yet to see any damage caused by their removal. I had the same rattle that you described.

• Like 2

I don't have pics but I ended up ripping off 2-3 of those things over the years .

They're easy enough to find if I found them.... :laugh:

The best one was the one that had rotted enough to fall 1/2 way off when I hit a bump doing about 60 mph , I thought I dropped the whole exhaust it made such a racket dragging on the pavement .

ETCG Has a video on this i just remembered watching.

I followed his investigation suggestions, but just removed mine all together, right after he said that the out shields only protected against debris catching on fire.

-Kyle

As others have said, drive the car up on some ramps, pull the hand brake and have someone rev the engine in park while you slide under and locate the source.

• Like 1

As others have said, drive the car up on some ramps, pull the hand brake and have someone rev the engine in park while you slide under and locate the source.

Agreed, try this. If you removed all the heat shields It may be a loose exhaust hanger somewhere underneath or as mentioned earlier a loose baffle inside the muffler.

• Like 1

That sounds more like a loose belt than a rattle to me, but yeah, having someone else rev it might help you track it down. Just make sure it's in park and well chocked!

I ended up "fixing" my heat shields like how ETCG did, except that I used baling wire instead of hose clamps. Even cheaper, and it's held up too.