Suspension difference of the models

txpath4x4

Hey all you Pathy lovin' fools out there,

Me and Greg were talking one day about factory suspensions. Biggest question was there a difference between the models that came with 31's and the smaller tires as far as the suspensions went. Cause when I put the 31's on my XE they rubbed everywhere and I had to crank my tbars up and get the JGC springs... ( also waiting for a certain coil spring spacer to become available). Even after I did all that they still rub when I flex and I had to take my factory mudflaps off...

Correct. It isn't just the tire size, it is the rim width and backspacing that is just as important of a factor. Some people run 33" tires on the stock aluminum rims and only need to do a little trimming or lifting, and the even mostly tuck into the rear wheel wells. Personally I like the wider rims with less backspacing for the wider stance (better lateral stability and can keep you off of obstacles) bit then I only run 31" tires with a 2+2 lift, so no chance of rubbing at all.

The suspension is the same on all the models other than the adjustable shocks on the SEs, and there are only two types of rims, 6" steel chromies and 7" aluminum legos.

Well, I can't recall if the LE has different rims. :shrug:

B

Ah ok yeah my rims are 15x12 the back spacing is perfect I guess just the outer is what is causing it to rub, guess once I lift the rear a little bit more I won't have that issue, also regarding Ball joint spacers, 1/2" would be fine for a poor mans lift right? Or should I go bigger, I know there is a thread on here all about spacers but I couldn't find it

as far as suspension differences, I have noted different rear shock mounting locations on different years....the top mount sometimes is at a very different angle to mine (looking at R50s only as there are very few wd21s around here)

The suspension differences are by model, so year only matters when it crosses that boundary. The one exception that I know of is 2001, when the R50 got the VQ35; there were a few suspension/drive train changes then.

Ah ok yeah my rims are 15x12 the back spacing is perfect I guess just the outer is what is causing it to rub, guess once I lift the rear a little bit more I won't have that issue, also regarding Ball joint spacers, 1/2" would be fine for a poor mans lift right? Or should I go bigger, I know there is a thread on here all about spacers but I couldn't find it

Holy crap, 12" wide rims? What do you have mounted? :blink:

I have 15x8" rims with 4" back spacing and 10.5x31" tires on it. The tires just barely protrude from the wheel wells, yours must stick out quite a bit...

Contest.jpg

B

Keep in mind the 29" tire models have the shorter steering stops which allow a sharper turning circle and more maximum steering angle. The 31" tire equipped model has longer steering stops which restrict maximum steering angle. If you use short steering stops and 31" tires with factory offset, there is a good chance that you will rub. Running 31" tires on stock chrome rims with short steering stops has an even greater chance of rubbing due to the higher offset versus the alloy Legos. Wheel spacers or slightly lower offset wheels will cure this issue while still allowing maximum steering angle of the short steering stops.

I have 31x10.5r 15... And they don't stick out really, the rims were the right price $free90free. And the only rubbing they do is on the rear when I go at an angle, but I also don't have bump stops. I'll make a video this weekend and let me know what y'all think, as for the ball joint spacer question, any remarks?

You have 10.5" tires on 12" rims? :blink:

Better not ever plan to air down! I like the rims, and yeah, free helps, but AFAIK you have the ratio backwards, the rim should be more narrow than the tires.

They do stick out a bit, but not obnoxiously so. I question how much rim lip protection you have though.

In the first picture it looks like the front is to low, was that pre-lift?

I can't really comment on the BJ spacers as I haven't used them. I tend to avoid all spacers (BJ, wheel, etc), but what I have read is an equal mix if 'works great' and 'didn't help/had problems'.

Generally speaking, the true Poor Mans Lift is just springs in the back and T-bar raising in the front, that generally seems to be enough...

B

I know what you mean by the rub...I have the 3inch lift from 4x4parts. I have 32in tall tires on 16 inch rims with stock backspace. I don't have any rubbing until I back up and wheels cranked hard. I have a 95 xe built for the trail and have no other rib issues. Used heavy duty torsion bars and 3 inch coils. I replaced all the bushings and steering components, also new shocks. I did replace the steering stops with a longer version to prevent inner fender rubbing. You might need to find them at jy? You can see the truck in members rides under my 95 Nissan xe build if you want an idea of what I did to keep rubbing to a minimum. Hope this helps you out...:)

In our area we really don't air down, crawling/ mountain trails don't exist lol. we have Gumbo for mud... Which for people who don't live here means ancient seabed.

yes the Pictures were pre-torsion bar tightening. i had to re index 3 notches and tighten the heck out of the bolts to get what i have now. the PO drove this thing to the ground... every steering part has been replaced except the IA. the only thing i haven't touched on the Chassis/suspension as far as replacement is the TA's and the strut rod bushings, and CA bushings... those are next once Summer Cruise is over. (The boss lady said if it drives leave it alone till afterwards)...

i would like to be as economic as possible on my lift. I would ideally like Aftermarket CA's, but considering i need a new clutch, and UJ's plus i want headers, exhaust, filter relocation. etc... Ball joint spacers seemed the next thing in line

on that note, you guys n' gals have some serious rigs on here, and i love seeing them... and it seems there are a lot more available donors out there in yall's area. here in Texas unless i feel like driving for 8 hours 1 way i cant even find one that would be donor applicable. (meaning cheap)

:search:

Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in here and say Hi! I'm Greg! Lol, my SE did come stock with the 31s mounted on the Legos which of course I'm still running. One thing I've noticed when I've been offroading and get all packed in with mud is there's very little clearance left for all that mud and debris between the tires and the mud flaps...infact, I think I'd rather not have the mudflaps and flares because of all the extra weight riding around carrying all that mud causes, only then to have to spray it off in the car wash for half an hour.

I love the way it looks though..I don't know if I can actually remove them. Jason's a good guy, he was able to come by my shop one day and meet Danger but we haven't been able to go wheeling yet..maybe this weekend. Oh yeah, Jason I've got some parts I've eyed on a couple pathfinders in a junkyard if you're game we can hit it tomorrow.

Hi Greg! WAVEY

I was wondering who the hell he was talking about! AFAIK, on the 1994 and 1995, you can just unbolt the mud flaps from the fender flares, but you might need to scrape some mud to find them.

1995 XE sans mudflaps

020_zps47574a70.jpg

B

so which one is Old Greg?

you sure those are 12" wide? they don't look any more bulgy than my 10s with 31x10.5s on them (which reminds me, I need to get those back...)

7c45c4a3.jpg

edit: and the steering stops can be adjusted, where they were set from the factory is dependent on which wheel/tire combo you had originally but they can me set where you want after the fact (if they ain't completely gaulded into place by now)

• Like 1

Dudes nice friggin rides man! Nunya, why you holding back, that rig is sharp man. Hey GREG! I really like your truck, I think that's the perfect amount of lift and tire / rim, very nice. It breaks my heart that you guys that live up there in the SeaTac area, (I call it the ice box, between the Olympic mnts / Sound and the Cascades, its a nice little insulator, in like 98 or 99 when TX had 110 degrees for like two weeks straight, I was loving life there at Ft. Lewis! Oh how I miss the House of Teriyaki in Tillicum!) which is my adult home town is suddenly on pathfinder theft watch. Time to buy stock in GPS theft prevention tech!

yeah it is a shame there isn't that many of us in Texas hell i think we are the only 2 that are active on the coast... Yep unless its a big truck on 44's or a jeep lifted to the sky...no Love for the Pathy

Thanks for the compliment, I was just trying to show the flexibility from both sides, with the lift and tires, there is about 5 inches of total lift over stock . I know what you mean about the NW we are blessed with some of the best way to go out 4wheel driving. I can drive on the longest beach in the world (longbeach) and an anything in between the Nachees trail. A Rubicon style trail in the cascades.

Was thinking the same thing that those rims don't look like they are 12" wide, and you beat me to it on the steering stops being adjusted for the different size tires the truck came with.