Dead Starter....again

PamPoovey

I installed a remanufacutred one over a year ago from Checkers/ O'Reilys & about a month & a hald later, the starter had a 50/50% chance of working. I finally installed a Nissan reman almost 2 weeks ago & it didn't work. I've had the Nissan replacement not even 2 weeks installed & today it won't start. I'm sitting in a super market car park in a town where I don't know anyone, no AAA, no hills to pop the clutch on -hoping it will at least act like the Checker's one, and suddenly work.

Any ideas? Did the starter fail? Does my truck hate starters with a passion? Is it time to win the lottery so I can afford AAA?

Kindly ask some people for a push and get it home. Check the usual for a no crank situation. There are a lot of threads in the garage section regarding it.

My truck did do what the last one did, eventually started after a long time out period (no key in the ignition), just letting it sit. I do work out several times a week, but I know that I can't push my truck, plus, I wasn't wearing a top like in my signature to get any guy's sympathy :lol:

Is there a thread on the ignition or what steps can I take to trouble shoot that? Or is it as simpe as replacing it? http://beergarage.com/PathIgnition.aspx

It is the original ignition.

Edited by Blackarachnia

Ive had issues with the starter not being properly ground, with that being said I would clean the mounting surface of the starter and check all the wires. This could be an ignition issue so check your relays and wiring.

This was a brand "new" Nissan reman starter, so nothing to clean.

Not sure what to check for when it comes to wiring, there is so many in the steering column plus I don't have rodents chewing at them :}~

Just baffles me how it works flawlessly for 2 weeks and then plays dead. And it has worked flawlessly since. But of course, it's just waiting for the right time to iritate me! LoL If it was a short, shouldn't it be misbehaving a lot more? I drive my truck like a truck, and not some wussy afraid to go over a rough road or weirdly angled driveway.

• 1 month later...

HUGE turn-on! Females knowing their way around vehicles. Doubt you would've had to have a shirt like that on to get some help;-)

Did you ever figure out the issue? If not, let me talk to a buddy of mine that owns a shop & has been a mechanic for many years.