New Plow Rig

Slartibartfast

What has four cylinders but a crank build for eight?

P1010019_zpsf671798f.jpg

And a hardtop that lifts off?

P1010007_zps8cf94294.jpg

And a factory-option snow plow lifted by the power steering pump?

P1010006_zpsc443c23b.jpg

And got its badges painted over when somebody camo'd it?

P1010015_zpsc18a21f7.jpg

It's an almost-running 4x4 1963 International Harvester Scout 80. My dad traded a barn-find Triumph Herald for it. We plan to plow snow with it primarily, but it's too cool to not drive around in the summer, once we get it patched up. The body has a few dents and some cancer in the usual places, but nothing we can't put right, and much less than other Scouts of its vintage. It even came with good 31" tires. The PO said it ran and drove until the fan tore the radiator a few new outlets. I pulled the rad out the other day, and I have to say, it's amazing how much room there is under the hood. This rig looks like it should be fun to work on.

Oddly enough, some of the later models were offered with a Nissan SD33 diesel!

• Like 1

Dude! Effing recovery rig! "Hey, uhh..Dad? Can you bring the Scout please? I'm stuck....yea, out in the back 40....uh huh..." That's cool man. I'd love to play around in an International Scout.

Oh man I am jealous!! I have always wanted a Scout! (Preferably with the sd33 so I could turbo it) but any scout would be awesome! And that one does look very clean. Awesome find man!

Thanks guys, and yes, we did get that great of a deal on it! Funny story, it was going to be a straight purchase until the guy and his friends showed up to deliver the truck and saw the Herald. We showed them what it needed, and the parts we had, and jokingly suggested a trade... next thing you know we're loading it up!

It will need a fair bit of work, so, hell, let's call this a build thread.

Here's what's left of the rad:

P1010025_zps858187df.jpg

New aluminum ones go for crazy money so we're going to try and find a used one, or if that fails, see if we can find a guy to re-core this one.

P1010021_zpsf8d00cfd.jpg

It'll need a few patch panels before we repaint it. I'm leaning towards matte orange, and my dad's leaning towards matte yellow, but either way the roof will stay black.

That exhaust is... interesting.

Here's a close up on the dealer sticker under the hood:

P1010005_zpsd075bfca.jpg

A previous owner sprayed the dash metallic green, which looks pretty good until you see the runs and the masking tape he never got around to removing. The floors are done in diamond plate over the original metal. I'm normally not a big fan of diamond plate, but on this rig, I think it fits.

P1010009_zps8f3530b4.jpg

I'll post updates we get something done!

IIRC the PO said it wouldn't go much over 50, so yeah, I wouldn't drive it in California!

I crawled around in it some more today and found a bag of shop receipts and titles that the previous owner once removed (the guy the PO bought it from) left under the seat. Turns out it got a front axle rebuild (bearings and seals) and a brake job in 2010. A month later, the same shop put aftermarket wiper motors, a blower motor, and spark plugs in it. The two receipts add to just over $2400. :blink: We're happy to see that it's been serviced recently, and happier still that we didn't have to pay for the work!

I'm not impressed with how the mechanic wired the wiper motors, but maybe, having seen the rest of the vehicle's wiring, he lowered his standards to match.

It's been converted to negative ground, cheaply, so the negative cable is red and the positive cable is black. It was also converted to a modern alternator, though they couldn't be bothered to find a reasonably thick charge wire or remove the factory voltage regulator. Whoever wired the headlights, taillights, and heater fan only had green and black wire at their disposal, and used them interchangeably. The starter wires are scabbed and partially exposed, which is disconcerting considering that they're downhill from the carburetor. (Did I mention that the carb leaks?) The blower motor and the aftermarket 12v outlet (stock one is dead) are the only things with fuses. :doh:

To my surprise, the off-road lights, tail lights, and one marker light still work, and turning them on did not start any fires! :aok:

I'm leaning towards tearing out what's left of the wiring and starting over. The headlights don't currently work and I'm having a hard time getting excited about troubleshooting the mass of green wires and crimp connectors under the dash. I'd also like to get a fuse block in there somewhere.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself here... the radiator will come first. We're hoping to get that in later this week. We need to make sure it runs before we start messing with it!

I think you'll find it doesn't hold 80mph and will get you killed. :tongue:

B

Classic cars are somewhat of an exception. A nice LS-X will fix that speed issue ;)

It has a master cylinder, it's just back behind the heater box in the picture. The clutch master, oddly enough, is a British Girling cylinder. The pedals feel alright, and the brakes were done in 2010, so hopefully they're still good. The plow hydro system looks decent overall, but the reservoir is almost empty, so that's probably leaking somewhere.

A nice LS-X will fix that speed issue wink.png

Until the Dana 27 scatters its guts!

It has a master cylinder, it's just back behind the heater box in the picture. The clutch master, oddly enough, is a British Girling cylinder. The pedals feel alright, and the brakes were done in 2010, so hopefully they're still good. The plow hydro system looks decent overall, but the reservoir is almost empty, so that's probably leaking somewhere.

Until the Dana 27 scatters its guts!

Sounds like a fascinating system to me. And yes but the Roadkill-esque factor would make up for it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Your Dad is cool man, I like him. Are you guys Dutch or Swedish? You seem to have a 1st or 2nd generation thing going on. I'm glad you guys are close..that's cool. Great video man.

I'm actually Dutch / Irish myself...but 100% Texan, By God. Heh, lol...that's funny.

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 1

LOL thanks. You're right on the first generation, at least on my dad's side, except that his dad was born in England.

We've done a little more to the Scout since we got her running. The Permatex we used on the carb didn't hold, so we cleaned it off and re-sealed it with some kind of reddish gunk (don't remember the label). Then the carb overflowed. We took it apart, put it back together, and it's worked fine since; I suspect some of the gunk stuck the float down, taking it apart freed it up, and the gas prevented it from sticking again. It made for some interesting swearing in the dark. We do have a rebuilt carb on its way, but at least for the moment, this one seems to be working.

The last time we ran it, the exhaust manifold got really hot, way hotter than it should, and what we read online suggested a timing issue. My dad advanced the timing (not sure of exact timing, we don't have a light) and the exhaust temps have come down a lot. He also cleaned up the valve cover and sealed it back up, so it isn't burning up oil on the manifold (or not as much, anyway).

The engine actually runs pretty well, but it's got a bit of a miss that we need to track down.

In the video your dad mentioned that he hadn't even pulled the plugs, that surprised me a bit. Check/replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor before anything else miss related.

With the carb, I was thinking that rather than bend that lip back any more and risk breaking it, you could just carefully file the top edge of the cover to match the curve of the sealing surface and then mount it with thick gasket material rather than goo. Always nice to have a backup, and that should be an easy way to save it...

B

Just pulled the plugs. All four were nuts on at .035" and all four were jet black. Think she's running a little rich! No sense tuning the mix until we've swapped the carb, though.

And yeah, I'll take a file to the old carb and see if I can get it flat enough to seal. It's sort of ridged along the mating surface, but that shouldn't be too hard to get around, and spares are good.

• 1 month later...