Mystery Wire

I went to replace my starter and behold! A wire is just hanging out there. Where does it go? What is it's purpose? My truck runs fine with it dangling there. I have traced it to to the other group of wires for the starter, but then it takes it's own path and I wonder if it goes on that dealy in the 3rd picture that's located just below the starter????

wire1_zpsc8385c3e.jpg

wire2_zps8ce48f34.jpg

wire3_zps660d32c5.jpg

BTW Thanks to Nissan selling me a dead starter and then exchanging it, I feel like an expert starter installer now :lol:

Edited by Blackarachnia

Oil pressure switch wire, prolly knocked it off during one of your pulls.

Bench test even new parts if possible, especially if you don't like the chance of doing a job multipule times... Learned that one long ago and usually bites me in the azz when I get cocky and don't.

oil pressure sender, yellow wire with a red/orange boot on it, you can still see what's left of the boot on the wire, it's a standard female spade connector you can crimp a new one on to the wire.

Sender is left of the oil filter above the starter.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I found this with mine as well, every once in a while the wire will ground on the frame and my oil light will come on. Scared me the first time it happened right after I changed the starter.

Yep - pulled my starter the first time and also had a mystery wire - same one. The oil pressure wire is bundled with the starter wiring, so if you don't disconnect the oil sender before you pull the starter forward it'll rip the wire right out of the crimped on spade connector. Your spade is very likely still attached to the oil sending unit.

Sender is left of the oil filter above the starter.

Does this mean from being underneath the truck or leaning over "changing the oil filter" position to the left?

Are you all thinking I am going to have to replace the part so I can refeed this into that new part?

That is looking at the side of the engine as if you were changing the oil filter, and if you can get to the wire you should be able to strip the end and crimp a new terminal on, than you should be able to get it back on the sender.

:yeahthat: What he said.

I have seen many repaired with a generic flat blade female connector crimped on the end of the wire. It works. I think people must pull them out chaning the oil filters.

Thank you, I am going to attempt it either later, or tomoddo. I've "replaced" a lot of starters lately, but it was the last time that this mystery wire said "oy!"

Remember to disconnect the battery or you are in for a shock!

Literally.

Not that I would have any personal experience or know anything about that at all.....

:crossedwires:

Edited by Alkorahil

I did because you said so earlier, glad you did!

One of the times I was trading out the Nissan dead starter for the old starter, I found out the sparky way that I forgot to disconnect the battery.... I had pulled the original one, replaced the "new" one, it was dead. I pulled the "new" one out and reinstalled it, just in case, but really, not much to installing a starter. It was still dead. Put in the one from O'Reilly back in, it started back up. But in all of that, I lost count somewhere of when I did and didn't disconnect the battery. Oops.

Having grabbed both battery terminals (on multiple occasions) without even a tingle, I have to ask, how are you guys getting shocked off the starter wiring?

Maybe you are Super Human????

Thanks to all your information, I did discover where the wire goes, but the area is tight, like a typical rice burner, so I'll look into it again when I change the oil/ filter. Call me lazy :D