Left exhaust manifold access?

djratlif

I'm currently in the process of gathering parts to do the exhaust from the front to the back of my truck since it has rotted away almost completely. It's a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder 3.0L 4wd. The right side manifold has plenty of access and room to work, should be a pinch I figure. After looking at the drivers side manifold however I can't see how to get enough room to get my tools in to remove it. It looks like pulling the a/c compressor and the intake collector off will free up some room but it seems excessive for just a manifold replacement. I am thinking maybe through the wheel well with the tires off I could gain slight access, but I don't know if it'll be enough to get to all the bolts needed. I've been soaking the bolts with penetrating oil and contemplating where to start. If anyone has any tips they would be appreciated as I can't have it down too awful long being my DD. Thanks ahead of time, Derek

yep... what he said. Steering shaft, air intake cover and hose, wheel and wheel liner (if you have one), Should be enough to get at most things easily and some things with a little creativity.

A 1992 is MPFI, just like yours.

Definitely remove the wheel and go in that way as well. It will allow some acccess and help you see. You'll probably wind up snaking your right hand in from the back as well. Just be patient...

B

Looks like the steering shaft will have to go then. Heading out to spray it down on lunch to hopefully free it up a bit. Going to get after it by the end of the week if all goes well. Thanks for the tips

• 4 months later...

I have finally gotten around to doing this after all summer of procrastinating. The drivers side head now has three studs snapped off in it, the passenger side is all clear. Now its going to be a pain trying to get the old ones out. I have three different extractor sets from the snap on truck, left hand drill bits, and determination. Still looks like with my luck I'll be pulling the head and sending it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dreading this too. Of course it had to be the driver side manifold gasket that disappeared . I'm planning an engine rebuild over thanksgiving anyway so I'll deal with the broken studs then. They aren't broke yet, but I know they will be.

The studs didn't come out like planned so I had to drill them out completely and heli-coil repair the threads. My tip for anyone going into this job is to make sure you have extensions for the drill bit/bits you are going to use. I had the manifolds tore off and didn't have any way to drill the studs until the right extension came in. I had to buy a Dewalt drill chuck adapter to couple with an Irwin 12" extension.

if you use a stick or something else rigid and flat and brace it against something on the far side of the drill, you can use leverage to apply firm pressure to the back of the right-angle adjustment.

I didn't think of that. Either way I got them out and replaced the whole system. Stock piping except the converter, I nixed that and replaced it with a flanged pipe I made. Runs a whole lot smoother than before and sounds pretty good too.