VG34 build need a torque converter

alco3

Hello everyone. My VG34 build is just about ready for assembly with CP 9.75:1 pistons, Wolf S2 Cams & ECU, DPR heads/intake (stock valves), and Thorley headers. Its going into a street 1994 D21 4x4 with near stock height tires and HG46 axles. I've got an '01 xterra RE4R01A trans to go in it but no torque converter yet ... I'm wondering if a high stall converter is made by anyone for this application or if I even need anything other than OEM? What do you guys think? I'm not trying to go cheap here as I've decided to keep this truck a long time but I don't want to go buying a convertor than finding out I need something different. As always, your advice is appreciated.

Hello again ... I'm good with the stock converter ... just a bit concerned about it's stall speed ... the VG34 is expected to have a bit of a lumpy high idle but maybe that's just fine with a stock converter? Also, I gather from other trans swap posts I need the converter that matches the transmission - in this case a 2001 Xterra. How about the flex plate? From what I've been able to determine it looks like the stock D21 VG30 flex plate should be used ... at least there isn't a flex plate mentioned in the various transmission swap posts I've found ... just the converter. I see the 2001 Xterra does use a different flex plate so I'm at a loss. Would some oldtimer/guru set me straight please?

The xterra trans and torque converter will bolt to the stock d21 flexplate. Unless it is from a supercharged xterra, then you need that flexplate.

Also, you have the xterra torque converter right? The d21 one won't fit in the xterra trans.

Hello and thanks for the quick advice. I don't have a converter yet and plan to buy new ... and pretty darned soon as that engine trans combo is about readty to be installed ... my main concern is I know next to nothing about xterra torque converters ... do you know the factory stall speed? Do you think I have to worry about the engine being built with a lumpy idle and say 800-900 rpm idle? Finally what convertor do you think best and where do I get one? I've got a good source for OEM parts but a cursory search for aftermarket converters wasn't too enlightening in that all I found were for full-on race trucks.Thanks again for your help.