Factory service manual info offer - 87-89 Pathy

Hi,

I am trying to locate the 'correct' ignition timing spec's for an 89 Pathy. VG-30/V6. I have a Haynes manual and it refers you to the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood. This would be fine, if my trucks hood wasn't off of a 4 cyl. truck ! I've checked the posts on hear, Nissan dealers ( Only can go back to 1994) on their computers!, auto parts stores ( Auto Zone, NAPA and O'Reilly's etc... No one seems to know how many degree's or the normal procedure.

Also I would appreciate it any one has a 'preferred' setting in degrees. My engine was replaced a year ago, it pings under load, and when I put a timing light on it, it was 2" off the crank markings, and the distributor hold down bolt was loose, leaving the dist. free to move. I rotated the dist, back as far as I could go, and brought the timing mark on the crank pulley just into range of the index pointer above the pulley. I have now idea if the marks are in 5 or 10 degree increments or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

krmiller07

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

YEE HAW!!!!!!! I got it, it was the wire from the ECU to injector A. It wasn't broke but there was enough resistance to give it trouble and not fire all the time which put it in "safe mode" and wouldn't let it go over 3 grand. So I just ran a jumper wire since the break is in between the firewall and dash. Runs great, thanx for the help.

Tim

PS - When I pulled the carpet up on the passanger side to get at the wire's I noticed that a mouse must have been in it a one time and chewed on a few wires, so I'm thinking that he might have gotten up into the dash somewhere's and got at that wire, Man I tell ya, what a pain in the nut sack. Hope no one has to go threw that.

Tim i am having the same issue with my 87 it wont go past three grand so i just need to use a multimeter and check for resistance on the injector clip. i have been messing with this for the last month.

I have FSM's for the following if anyone needs anything, I have them in PDF files so I can also e-mail copies, I also have the Nissan FAST program, (the same program the dealer uses in the parts dept to look up parts, also good for decoding VIN numbers and finding out which options came on a certain car or truck, just in case anyone doesn't know what FAST is),

Infiniti:

1994 G20

1994 Q45 (paper & Pdf)

1995 Q45

2002 G20

2003 G35

2004 G35

Nissan:

1987 pickup/pathfinder (paper copy from my old hardbody)

1994 Altima

1994 Pathfinder

1994 Sentra

1995 Maxima

1995 Pathfinder

1995 Truck and Pathfinder supplement

1996 Altima

1996 D21 truck

1997 Altima

1997 Maxima

1998 Sentra

2000 Quest

2003 Sentra

2003 Xterra

2004 Sentra

2005 Altima

2005 Frontier

2005 Titan

other makes:

1985 Toyota truck

1988 Toyota pickup V6 book (paper copy from wife's old truck)

1996 Toyota Tacoma

2000 Jeep Cherokee

2001 Dodge Ram ( want to talk about a big manual!!! 2889 pages!!!)

also for any not listed if you go to www.autozone.com and register (free) they have pretty much every manual other than real new cars & trucks), the diagrams that come up look like factory service manual diagrams.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Nissan FSM for 1987-1989 Pathfinders and Hardbody pickups that I can offer some factory information from if anyone has a specific question or need. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you. I just wanted to make it known and let everyone know that the offer stands open for anyone.

Also, PLEASE, no requests for mundane things like "what spark plugs should I use" or "what size windshield wiper do I need", those things should be easily found by either searching these forums, my forums at http://wd21forums.damagedreality.com or asking/calling a local parts store. Off-topic requests will be deleted at will. Thank you.

I have an 89 Pathfinder SE-6 cyl. Manual Trans. that when cold, starts and immediatly goes into fast idle ( about 1300 rpm ) however it starts running so rich, that it runs like a carbed vehicle with a stuck choke. It idles rough, and shakes until the tempature comes up to the bottom of the gauge. Then as the temp continues to rise, idle settles down to normal and runs just fine. My questions are this. Has anyone experinced this ? And what could be the possible causes? I've done a thourough tune up. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Replaced all the vacum lines, checked for vacum leaks ( because that what it acts like ).However about 4 monthes ago, I replaced the O2 sensor and unhooked the battery while doing so. When I re-connected the battery and started the engine, this symptom starts. A few people have replyed in regards to resetting the ECU, and some have said that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will reset the ECU. And others have said that cycling the starter or starting the engine at least 50 times, will do the same thing?

This rough idle and rich condition have been driving me nuts and I'm unable to read the codes from the ECU since I don't have access to a FSM.

Any ideas !?

Thanks,

krmiller07

krmiller70@hotmail.com

km@frozenrotors.com

I have a Nissan FSM for 1987-1989 Pathfinders and Hardbody pickups that I can offer some factory information from if anyone has a specific question or need. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you. I just wanted to make it known and let everyone know that the offer stands open for anyone.

Also, PLEASE, no requests for mundane things like "what spark plugs should I use" or "what size windshield wiper do I need", those things should be easily found by either searching these forums, my forums at http://wd21forums.damagedreality.com or asking/calling a local parts store. Off-topic requests will be deleted at will. Thank you.

I have an 89 Pathfinder SE-6 cyl. Manual Trans. that when cold, starts and immediatly goes into fast idle ( about 1300 rpm ) however it starts running so rich, that it runs like a carbed vehicle with a stuck choke. It idles rough, and shakes until the tempature comes up to the bottom of the gauge. Then as the temp continues to rise, idle settles down to normal and runs just fine. My questions are this. Has anyone experinced this ? And what could be the possible causes? I've done a thourough tune up. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Replaced all the vacum lines, checked for vacum leaks ( because that what it acts like ).However about 4 monthes ago, I replaced the O2 sensor and unhooked the battery while doing so. When I re-connected the battery and started the engine, this symptom starts. A few people have replyed in regards to resetting the ECU, and some have said that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will reset the ECU. And others have said that cycling the starter or starting the engine at least 50 times, will do the same thing?

This rough idle and rich condition have been driving me nuts and I'm unable to read the codes from the ECU since I don't have access to a FSM.

Any ideas !?

Thanks,

krmiller07

krmiller70@hotmail.com

km@frozenrotors.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Would it be possible to get any information pertaining to the Tach, wiring diagram, or perhaps where everything is located so I can check it physically. My tach doesnt work, but the previous owner said it did before the new engine was installed.. but Im not sure if he was just full of it.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would post this up for anyone interested. As most of you know, Nissan digitized all manuals starting in 94. While that is nice for anyone with a truck after that year, the rest of us with trucks in the 87-93 range are pretty much screwed unless you find a printed manual for sale (which are very rare, and the ones that do come up, people ask big $$$) or have someone nice enough to look up something in their manual for you.

Well I found a place with them online. The factory service manuals for 1989 and 1990 trucks. They are good for the 1987-88 trucks as well (as the manuals cover the earlier vg30i engines). I have been looking for a while for the technical manuals due to my vg30i engine.

Technically they are for the Hardbody trucks, but they also cover info for the pathy. It includes pictures and technical info on the WD21 beside those of the D21. The only real difference between the pathy and HB manuals seems to be if they wrote "WD21 Series" or "D21 Series" on the cover.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/hardbody/

While I did not put them together, I was pretty happy when I found them. Hope that helps everyone else who always wanted them.

• 2 months later...

To download a full copy of the FSM, go here http://bebrs.pie-dabas.net/Webs/Terrano/R20/ and right click -> save as on each PDF and save it in a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

There are also other versions of FSMs in that folder's parent directory: http://bebrs.pie-dabas.net/Webs/Terrano/

The R50_2001 is the 2001.5 FSM, not the 2001.0 MY FWIW.

I have the paper version of the 87 Hardbody FSM and will scan sections if needed. Don't ask to get the whole manual or 20 pages because I'm not scanning that much.

boo... your supposed to have no life and scan it cover to cover, explain each image in it, plus make paper copies for everyone. Poor team player... :lol:

This may have been posted elsewhere, or even in this thread for that matter as I've not read the whole thing in ages. Anyway, you can download the '89 & '90 D21 FSMs in .pdf here: D21 FSMs It's basically the same manual as the WD21, I've been using it and it has notes on things that are different between 'truck' and 'wagon'. There are tons of Nissan FSMs on the download page at nicoclub, this is the main FSM index: nicoclub FSM index

• 1 month later...

I have an 88 pathfinder. Would like to get all specs on rear axel. Is it a Dana 40? What gears? Thanks

From my 1988 FSM, if you have a z24 powered truck (I4 2.4L) you have a R180A up front and a C200 in the back/ VG30i (v6 3.0L) you have a R200A up front and a H233B in the back, transmission options do not affect this (page GI-13) As for gear ratio, there is a tag under the hood on the inside of the right fender near the firewall, the bottom right number on this tag will be either HG43 or HG46 IIRC. HG43=4.3 gears/HG46=4.6 gears. If you have a LSD diff in the rear, there should be an orange tag on the axle itself (they are strong little buggeres so it may be under layers of grease and paint).

Hey i have a 89 Terrano with a VG30S engine (Carburetted). The Carburettor has no identification details apart from saying Hitachi there are no model numbers whatsoever. I want to rebuild the carburettor but i cant find any information online on this carburettor. Any information is helpful thanks.