Going on a little trip

albino

I am getting ready for an 8000+ mile trip around the US with my pathy and I have a month to get her ready to go. Im thinking I will do a tune up with all fluids, new cap and rotor, new plugs, repack front wheel bearings, and replace the front stabilizer links and the lower ball joints cuz they are on their last leg. Is there anything else I should be looking into? I am trying to do this on a tight budget as I just graduated college and money is a little scarce.

I know that my fast idle cam thermo element is shot and so is one of the knock sensors but these don't have much effect on performance as far as I know so I am planning on leaving them alone for the time being. I usually get about 19 mpg on the highway but the last few months I have been down to 15 for some reason. I am wondering if it is the front O2 sensors but I don't have any codes and they are pretty expensive so I would rather not spend the money unless I know they are the problem. It is looking like this tank of gas is going to be closer to my normal mpg so I am wondering if the cold was somehow killing my gas mileage. I'll find out in a few days what the current mpg is but I gotta figure out how to get her back to 19 mpg before I leave for this trip or else gas is going to eat my money.

Nice!

Grease the U joints, make sure you have 25%+ brake pads left, replace the air and fuel filter, and check the spare tire for inflation/condition.

Are you car camping it? You traveling alone or with someone? Depending on what you are planning, keeping the back seats folded down and removing the bottoms will give you a little more room. If you make it out to Northern California, drop by and say hi. ;)

B

I will be travelling with my girlfriend and we will be doing some sleeping in the back. I was thinking about taking out the seat bottoms like you said and trying to get a little more storage down there. Good call on the u-joints, I hadn't thought about that. I should be cruising through northern California if all goes well so maybe we can do some wheeling on the way through if your truck is up and running.

I took the seat bottoms out of mine and with the front seats moved forward I can fit a full length air mattress in there without being cramped. Do you have locking hubs? You should start looking into finding members along your route, meet some new people and maybe get some free camping spots. Sounds like a great trip, make sure you get lots of pictures to share with us when you return.

• Like 1

If nothing else what is a forum for but to meet people who are into the same things you are. I agree with KDJ, plan your route so you can meet forum members. if nothing else you'll put a face to a name. hopefully you'll make a friend and pull this world a little closer together.( holy crap I sound like a hippy!)

gotta say though, last fall on my cross 1/2 Canada trip I met up with Steve from 4x4Designs and now I can vouch for the quality of his work and testing it goes through. Top notch guy though and through.

any member of this forum who wants to travel through my part of Canada is welcome to stop by. I might not be able to put you up for the night but I'll find a place you can crash and enjoy a pint or two with you.

• Like 1

Yeah as soon as I get my route planned I will post it up and try and meet up with a few of you guys. I will be doing backpacking for the majority of my trip but I am trying to hit a few moderate trails along the way. Something to play around on but nothing that will require repair work.... I want to say that I heard about an r50 or two that made it through the Rubicon. Anyone know? That would be a pretty sweet trail to stop by but I don't think I can make it on 31's and open diffs. Right now I am just planning on doing a few trails at some of the national parks that are more for getting to backpacking spots than actual 4x4 trails.

I want to say that I heard about an r50 or two that made it through the Rubicon. Anyone know? That would be a pretty sweet trail to stop by but I don't think I can make it on 31's and open diffs.

I've not done the trail, but from what I have heard that set up wouldn't be a good idea, especially without a winch. You'd spend most of your time taking bypasses or getting dragged up sections.

B

...t and so is one of the knock sensors but these don't have much effect on performance as far as I know so I am planning on leaving them alone for the time being. I usually get about 19 mpg on the highway but the last few months I have been down to 15 for some reason. I am wondering if it is the front O2 sensors but I don't have any codes and they are pretty expensive so I would rather not spend the money unless I know they are the problem. It is looking like this tank of gas is going to be closer to my normal mpg so I am wondering if the cold was somehow killing my gas mileage. I'll find out in a few days what the current mpg is but I gotta figure out how to get her back to 19 mpg before I leave for this trip or else gas is going to eat my money.

there is an easy and cheap mod for the knock sensor, I've done it on mine. Here's a link: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34574-knock-sensor-relocation/?hl=%2Bknock+%2Bsensor+%2Brelocation

I'm in SE Texas near the Louisiana state line, holler if you're coming this far south.

Having done this kind of trip myself in my pathy, I'll tell you your gonna have a great time. Before I left I put new brake pads and rotors, and changed all the fluids as they needed it anyway. Most importantly make sure your cooling system is in good shape. Clean your radiator out, mine had mud in it and she would get a little warm with the ac on. Like B said change the fuel filter and air filters. I did 15k km round trip, which meant three oil changes in a very short period of time.

If you relocate the speakers in the back you'll have a bit more sleeping area too. I ripped out my old original speaker housings and installed Sony home theater speakers on the sides. Heaps more room in the back and you can use them as a handy cup holder too since they have these sw holes in them that fits a cup, as long as you are careful not to spill anything inside them! I would also recommend taking along a 'quick fix' tool kit, just standard tools you normally need for fixing any issues you might encounter. I would take (minimum) screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, socket set, rachet and breaker bar, electrical tape, spare oil, trans fluid and coolant, 2 gallons of fresh water. I say take lots of water because I remember late last year, it was the middle of summer and my wife and I were driving home to the city from Kalgoorlie and this guy was stuck with a blown tyre in the middle of nowhere on this hot dusty track. Lucky we had lots of water onboard because this guy didn't have any water and he drank like 2 litres of ours which at a time like that in an emergency I wasn't bothered by. The guy might have passed out from heat exhaustion because he forgot water.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got all of the maintenance done, fluids changed, intake and filter cleaned, MAF cleaned, rebuilt hubs, repacked bearings and replaced front seals, replaced ball joints and sway bar end links, greased everything and got it aligned. I also dropped about 200 lbs of weight by taking off my roof rack and taking out my hi-lift jack and tow chain. I'm hoping my gas mileage should be pretty awesome now but I won't have a chance to drive it on the highway until my trip so it will be a surprise ha. I am glad I changed my diff fluid cuz my rear looked like a chocolate milkshake after my last adventure in the mud hole. My trip plan has changed a bit and I don't think I will be doing any wheeling along the way anymore :(. I just don't have enough time to do everything I want to do! I guess I will just have to do it again sometime for just wheeling ha.

Good job! Don't worry about the wheeling, you'll have plenty of fun regardless. Make sure you have a few memory sticks for your camera and take lots of pictures. A trick I learned on a 6000 mile motorcycle trip was to go into a photo shop when your memory cards are full and have them burn the pictures on CDs for you, then mail the CD's to your home. ;)

When are you leaving and where are you going?

B

• Like 1

Don't forget a few rolls of duct tape, I watched Mythbuster's Duct Tape special and you can do alot with the stuff. They built a raft with it to get off an island and another episode they built a walking bridge and lifted up a car with a crane...Check your tire pressure before you leave. Good Luck and have FUN!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Im heading out tomorrow morning and heading to New Orleans, Austin, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Escalante, Yosemite, Point Reyes Seashore, Boardman St Pk Beach, Columbia River George, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Glacier Nat Pk, Yellowstone, Tetons, and Rocky Mountains. Should be a pretty awesome time with some really cool sights. Round trip it is gonna be over 8000 miles so the pathy is going to be getting its cardio in this summer.

Thanks for the advice, Im heading out tomorrow morning and heading to New Orleans, Austin, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Escalante, Yosemite, Point Reyes Seashore, Boardman St Pk Beach, Columbia River George, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Glacier Nat Pk, Yellowstone, Tetons, and Rocky Mountains. Should be a pretty awesome time with some really cool sights. Round trip it is gonna be over 8000 miles so the pathy is going to be getting its cardio in this summer.

Have a safe and fun trip Bud!

That is a lot to see... Grand Canyon was a drive through for me, Zion I stayed for a few days, Decent camping at Bryce Canyon (make sure to catch the sunset at the overlook at the front end of the park, that is where most of the famous pictures are taken), Yosemite is awesome but if you don't have reservations, you won't be camping there, and let me know when you are nearing Point Reyes. I live about 30-40 miles north, and you are welcome to stop by if you wish. A meal, a bed, tools/oil change, camping on the lawn, whatever.

Skipping National Arches/Moab?

B

Have a safe and fun trip. PM me (and I'll give you my moble #) if you want to talk about what trails to run in the Rocky Mtns. Some are truly fun and beautiful, and not necessarily difficult. Just let me know.

Hey guys I could really use some advice, I'm on the road and out of the blue I have started misfiring. Code 300 pending and a downstream 02 sensor complaining. I just did the cap and rotor a few weeks ago and the still look good. I'm in the middle of no where a few hours from new orleans and I can't do much but keep driving. Any thoughts? ... rough start to the trip

Quick update... made it off the road for the day after a few hours of misfiring on the highway. Definitely not what I wanted to do but it was pouring all afternoon/evening so I couldn't do any work on it. It is misfiring pretty consistently every 5-10 seconds now and is worse under load. Originally it was just misfiring once every now and then but the frequency increased as I continued to drive. I took the distributor cap off during a break in the rain and it looked fine as did the wire connections and the rotor. The 300 code also went away which is odd since it is getting worse. I am thinking it has to be the ignition system based on the symptoms. It is supposed to still be raining here in the morning so I think I will be forced to take it to a shop to have it looked at. I'm hoping its just a fowled spark plug and wish the rain would stop so I could take a look.

Anyways to reply to a few previous posts... I am skipping Arches/Moab reluctantly. I was on the list of things to do but when the trip got shortened a month ago they got cut off. I really wanted to go wheeling at Moab but was worried about damaging something and not having the tools to fix it so that got scrapped. I also left most of my wheeling stuff at home to try and save weight so I don't have my hi-lift jack or tow chains with me... just a single tow strap and an ammo crate of tools to get me out of trouble. Arches and Canyonland got dropped in favor of Coyote Gulch which has the same type of scenery as those places but is more remote and easier to get a permit for. It is actually one of the stops I am looking forward to most.

I have no idea where I am going to sleep while in Zion and Yosemite. Both places campgrounds book up half a year in advance and the first come first serve sites fill by noon which is a problem since I will be arriving at most places late. I might end up sleeping in the car for Zion but hopefully for Yosemite my backpacking itinerary will be approved so I will be able to camp in the backcountry. I'll try and meet with some of you as I pass through your area and if I have some spare time there. I'll let you know as I move along. First thing is first... get this engine back to life.

Crap, I'm sorry I didn't see this yesterday!

The FSM on code 300 (random cylinder misfire) check items:

Improper spark plug

insufficient compression

incorrect fuel pressure

egr valve

injector circuit is open or shorted

injectors

intake air leak

ignition secondary circuit is open or shorted

lack of fuel

drive plate/fly wheel

front heated O2 sensor

I'd listen to the injectors if possible (long rod or screw driver on it cupped to your ear) to make sure they are firing, check for intake leak, check egr valve, try unplugging test driving and reconnecting the heated O2, check the cap and rotor for anything abnormal/cracks (someone recently had a rotor come loose), maybe pull an easy plug and examine/test for spark.

These are all things you can do on the side of the road... Do you have a multimeter with you? Do you have a copy of the FSM or can you download/access with you device (pinned thread in the Garage section)

It looks like there is a 10 amp fuse for the front O2 sensors, make sure that isn't corroded or compromised.

EC-362 is start of EGR testing, too much to type easily.

Check fuel pump relay for connection/corrosion and 15amp fuse in the fuse block. EC-440, too much to type easily.

I'll relay anything I can to help though, just let me know. Hopefully you can trouble shoot it without going to a shop, Yes, a bad start, but don't let it get you down; you'll work through it.

You might have to get wet though.

I'll watch this thread closely for your replies.

B

Thanks for the response and all the information, it was raining this morning again and i couldnt find anything obviously wrong. I had just done a really good inspection of everything a week or two ago so I knew the intake egr plugs cap and injectors were probably fine. I gave in and took it to a shop that had some decent knowledge about pathys. Ended up that the distributor had bit the dust but I'm back on the road near Austin now. No missing now and it is driving well, ses just came on so I'll have to check that out when I stop for the night, I think my rear 02 sensor is playing hooky again.

Ok, no problem Bud, any time. I'm glad you got it taken care of and hopefully you didn't pay too much and kept the old unit.

The downstream O2 sensor doesn't do anything other than measure the exhaust gasses so even if it is failing, it shouldn't affect anything.

Happy trails and good luck!

B

Anyways to reply to a few previous posts... I am skipping Arches/Moab reluctantly. I was on the list of things to do but when the trip got shortened a month ago they got cut off. I really wanted to go wheeling at Moab but was worried about damaging something and not having the tools to fix it so that got scrapped. I also left most of my wheeling stuff at home to try and save weight so I don't have my hi-lift jack or tow chains with me... just a single tow strap and an ammo crate of tools to get me out of trouble. Arches and Canyonland got dropped in favor of Coyote Gulch which has the same type of scenery as those places but is more remote and easier to get a permit for. It is actually one of the stops I am looking forward to most.

I have no idea where I am going to sleep while in Zion and Yosemite. Both places campgrounds book up half a year in advance and the first come first serve sites fill by noon which is a problem since I will be arriving at most places late. I might end up sleeping in the car for Zion but hopefully for Yosemite my backpacking itinerary will be approved so I will be able to camp in the backcountry. I'll try and meet with some of you as I pass through your area and if I have some spare time there. I'll let you know as I move along. First thing is first... get this engine back to life.

It'll be there in the future, and no, I wouldn't go wheeling at Moab unless it was a dedicated trip and I had some sort of support/caravan/trailer option.

I've never been to Coyote Gulch, but I'lll check it out for the future.

I had no problem camping in Zion, there was plenty of room at this same time of year, but Yosemite will be hit and miss. You might want to time it to come in the morning, but then like you said, you have backpacking ambitions.

We have camping reservations for october with some friends, that were made 2 months ago...

Yeah, let's meet and say Hi if we can/you want, but if not, I get it. I can show you some great breweries though! It's all good...

• 2 weeks later...

How are things on the trip? I'm looking forward to the day I get my pathy ready for an adventure of this caliber.

Edited by Sparrow

Things are going good, we just got to San Francisco yesterday. Yosemite was pretty amazing and we saw some really cool things. Ten Lakes up in the high sierras was definitely the most beautiful place we saw in the park and I would recommend it to anyone going. Coyote Gulch out in Utah was really cool although it was like 80 at night which made it really hard to sleep. Also the hike out was a 150 ft class 5 free climb with full packs and then 3 miles unmarked through the desert which was an adventure. I would recommend it to anyone who knows how to use a map and compass and likes to be far out there.

Precise I tried to pm you but I think your inbox is full. I'm sticking to the coastal side of California on the way North, where are you?