Exhaust Leaks and Broken Studs

I think I have found the source of most of these problems with the broken exhaust manifold studs and corresponding leaks.

The exhaust hangers on the transmission and frame have failed.

These hangers have simple bonded rubber to metal insulators that break loose on all the Pathfinders I have seen.

When these hangers fail there is extreme pressure on the exhaust manifold studs and they eventually break.

Engine flexing and vibration cause this stress on the studs.

The fix is to fix or replace both hangers. The factory hangers will probably fail again.

I have successfully repaired mine by removing them, clamping and drilling thru the metal hangers and insulator and then putting a carriage bolt thru and backing it with a spring. The sprinng keeps the rubber insulator under pressure and still allows some flex.

This fix has worked on my 1992 for many years and I have had NO problems.

I hope this help more folks avoid these problems.

I would recommend all owners check these hangers.

Sparky

Interesting!! Any chance of a pic or two of the "fix"?

How you did it etc. Step by step would help allot of folks on here

Good job my friend :aok::clap:

The one on my transfer case has been missing for years. I don't even know how I would mount it to the new pipe I have, as it didn't come with a place for it.

The problem with the 8mm studs is that they are too weak to handle the contractions from hot to cold expansion. Your theory is correct on the Titans and Armadas cracking the rear of the manifolds because of a relief cut in the rear bank flange.