help building rock sliders

so the other weekend I went for a trail ride and one of the trails has a ditch that last year I cleared no problem but from the rain and snow melt it has washed out and I came close to hitting my rockers on the ground I think my frame might have touched but just slightly. so I want some rock sliders but since there are no options for premade bolt ons I need some help with materials and stuff like that

1. round or square tubing for actual slider part?

2. what diameter round/ size square tube should I get?

3. how think should it be?

4. is there holes that can be used to bolt them on?

5,should I use flat or round or square for the part that is between the frame and the slider?

6. should I use flat or angle for the part that mounts to the frame?

also I have a dent in one of my trailing arms should I replace it with a stock jy one when I replace my rear bushings or should I try and find a aftermarket pair and replace both?

ok im defiantly going to save up for those as that's a lot simpler than building them ok so now for my other ? on the trailing arms so from jc whitney (only place I found them) they have these ( http://www.jcwhitney.com/dorman-oe-replacement-trailing-arm/p3051378.jcwx?filterid=d1685y1997g23j1 ) so im going to buy both new lower arms at this point as they come with the bushings but for the upper arms it only has one side listed are they inter changeable or do I have to find the passenger side specific one? im going off this right now as I don't have time to go out and look to see if there is a passenger side one ( http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ypat4_1.jpg )

Fleury's at 4x4 designs used to make some but I think he stopped production because of a lack of work shop.....I'd go to a Pick a Part and find a used one until Steve has his shop up and running again.

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on building my own rocksliders. I really hope I can build it for less the $350, I would imagine it would be no more than $150 homemade, and its got so much more character!

If all else fails I bought some 4 runner sliders from Steevo awhile ago and they fit perfectly. Only about ~180

If all else fails I bought some 4 runner sliders from Steevo awhile ago and they fit perfectly. Only about ~180

Did you have to mods the mounting at all?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

You have to weld them together yourself, the slider part is already built but where you want the standoffs to be is all up to you. All I did was flatten the pinch seam in a few areas and welded them up. They have saved my bacon numerous times and have a nasty dent on the bottom side, however they have not moved.