Broken Lug Bolts

mikestewart395

you need the studs right? Either the studs or the lugs you can get from any auto parts store, the thread is 12mm x 1.25

Advance auto parts:

Front - 98320.1

Rear - 98355.1

lug nut acorn style black - 99009.1

lug nut acorn style chrome - 98961.1

Edited by ahardb0dy

just tell where ever you go what they are for so they can double check the part numbers, they had other part numbers listed, think some come bagged and others are loose so different part numbers. Make sure the lugs your wheels use are the same as what you get

I have to ask, how did one wheel only have 1/2 of it's lug nuts? Did someone other than you work on it? Do you torque your lug nuts or just tighten the crap out of them?

I'm asking because you really don't want this to happen again. Losing a wheel while driving can be really bad news, for you and others!

B

• Like 1

i personally do not use a torque wrench to tighten my lug nuts, and I never heard of anyone who actually does. I tighten them "snug" like I have for the past 25 years of driving and tooling with cars. The last person to handle my front wheels was a tire shop a few months ago. I do not think that was it. One of the lugs were finger loose, 2 were broke, which makes me think someone was fooling with it in the middle of the night. I had an old Lincoln that had brittle lug bolts due to age, wear and tear. My Pathy is 26 years old and 300k miles, I'm wondering if it isn't getting to that point as well, I don't know.

I always use a torque wrench. My JEEP's steel wheels are very sensitive to over tightening. The first set of wheels got wallowed out by a tire shop over tightening them.

But then in 20 years on my last Pathfinder, I don't think any used a torque wrench on the lego wheels.

In the end I vote torque wrench.

I usually just tighten my lugs with a 1/2" ratchet, every time I have the tires rotated and the shop uses the torque wrench for the final tightening the next time I have to take the wheel off for what ever reason, it always seems like the lugs aren't that tight, even though they were torqued to spec. I don't "gorilla" the lugs real tight, just seems like the correct torque isn't that tight.

Agreed, if you have a good feel for it and always use the same tool, torqueing is not absolutely necessary. I used to do it with the factory lug nut wrench and my foot decades ago, but then I noticed a few things: I lost a tire on the freeway (the drum stripped out), newer wheels seem to be more sensitive to overtorquing and I once broke a lug nut star at the side of the road trying to remove lug nuts that a shop installed with an air gun. These days I just go get the Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench and put them all at 90ft/lbs, rechecking them after the next drive. No problems since... :shrug:

B

Way back when I worked in the 4x4 shop doing tires, I had a guy with a F250 (or F350 can't recall, had 8 lug wheels) show him that he could remove the lug nuts by hand after I had installed them using the impact gun because he was so worried that he wouldn't be able to if he had a flat or what ever, so after I finished installing and tightening all his wheels I had to take them off by hand just so he could see it wasn't impossible to do ! PITA !!

If you have a gun set at or with a maximum torque of the desired lug nut range, or use those torque limiting deals, yeah, that isn't an issue. You also know that some yahoos just throw an impact socket on their 500ft/lb air gun, hammer the crap out of it and say "there, that won't be coming off any time soon!".

The lug star I broke was a welded one, but it broke when I had one hand and one foot on it and still didn't loosen the lug nut. That is just too damn tight...

B

I used to just use the factory wrench and jump on it once or twice (I'm only about 140lbs). I checked this against a torque wrench set to 80 lb/ft and it wasn't quite right, but it wasn't off by much. I use the torque wrench when possible. I've never had one loosen up either way.

It is surprising how hard shops will rattle-gun the lugs on... I've found lugs on friends' rigs that I simply couldn't get off with hand tools. Weirder though was when the tire shop torqued the piss out of the lugs on my spare rack. Where did they think it was gonna go? :doh:

We used to keep the guns set on "3", most of the guys in the shop ( including myself) all used the Ingersoll Rand IR231 impact guns, of course not all impact guns are the same some brands and models being weaker others stronger. One of our guys even had his modified to make it stronger for special occasions.

Those torque limiting socket things were just coming out about the time I was working in the shop.

Only time I don't use a torque wrench on a wheel is if it's on the back of my flatbed (read: no tires touching ground) on its way to the crusher. I've seen enough "I know it's tight" types lose wheels over not taking 2 minutes of patience.

In a line of thought noone touched on, there is such a thing as over-torqued. Over time over-torque causes thread damage to studs, stripped lugs, and in worst case studs can break off while driving. This is aside from possible rim damage (that's a new one on me, I'd suspect uneven tighening more than over-torque)

Personally i don't think i have ever actually used a torque wrench on lugs. I have always used impact set on max. Start all lugs by hand, use impact to spin them down and let impact hit 1-2 times (star pattern) then go back over them second pass and it hit 3-4 times NO MORE.

I prefer impact because I tend to over-torque using tire tool just doesn't "feel" tight enough.

Used to do road calls, I've twisted more than a few studs off by hand with OEM tire tools. Almost always because of lazy tire guy sticking lug in impact to zip them on instead of starting by hand so gets them cross threaded.

Edited for typo

Edited by PeteyPathy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Because all vehicles have different torque specs for lug nuts (and some even have multiple options depending which wheels you have) installing lug nuts without using a torque wrench is playing your own personal game of roulette.