Ah Crap! look what I found.

bushnut

the dreaded strut tower rust fail!

P1070027_zps113df967.jpg

P1070026_zps872bac5d.jpg

I'm gonna contact the local dealer on Monday and see where I go from here.

from what I've read in the recall advisory it should be fixable but I'm gonna prepare my self for the worst.

I plan on going in with all the documentation (printed service/recall bulletins) I can find on what is fixable so they don't try and pull a fast one on me.

What a sad state of affairs that I can't trust my local dealer to give me a straight answer, I've read so many horror stories about this problem and how badly people have been treated that I'm downright nervous to go and have this fixed.

not only that but used car prices are so inflated here that compared to what they might offer me I probably won't be able to buy another vehicle for some time.

and I'll never get credit for the upgrades I've put into it, nor will I be able to take them out should it be considered irreparable.

wish me luck.

bushnut (aka jon)

• Like 2

the dreaded strut tower rust fail!

P1070027_zps113df967.jpg

P1070026_zps872bac5d.jpg

I'm gonna contact the local dealer on Monday and see where I go from here.

from what I've read in the recall advisory it should be fixable but I'm gonna prepare my self for the worst.

I plan on going in with all the documentation (printed service/recall bulletins) I can find on what is fixable so they don't try and pull a fast one on me.

What a sad state of affairs that I can't trust my local dealer to give me a straight answer, I've read so many horror stories about this problem and how badly people have been treated that I'm downright nervous to go and have this fixed.

not only that but used car prices are so inflated here that compared to what they might offer me I probably won't be able to buy another vehicle for some time.

and I'll never get credit for the upgrades I've put into it, nor will I be able to take them out should it be considered irreparable.

wish me luck.

bushnut (aka jon)

If it is 'irreparable' (almost nothing is :rolleyes: ) then have it towed home, dismantle it and sell it for parts and have the carcass hauled off for scrap. You aren't driving it, your are recycling it.

No way I let someone say 'sorry, not safe, everything is ours now'. That is called thievery!

I hope it doesn't come to that, but don't just roll over for it either...

B

I just had mine repaired last fall after the whole drivers tower ripped lose. I called the dearer, they sent out a flatbed and took it away. Got it back a few days later all fixed up. The worse shape your truck is in the more apt they are to fix it. Why buy back something at any price when they can fix it up for a few hundred. I was under mine yesterday and my rear mount for the lower control arm ( 4" from their repair) is now rotted out. I guess they figure it's OK that the control arm falls off but not the strut. They only have to fix it well enough to out last they rest of the rust. So I'm starting the dreaded search for a new ride.

Thanks for the support guys.

talked to the dealer today (why do I always feel dirty when I say that?) they told me to contact Nissan Canada to find out if I'm eligible for the recall.

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time on the phone tomorrow.

as far as suspension upgrades, or whatever I can't see how that affects a rust issue. though I do know that big corporations don't make money by doing things for free.

I'll keep you folks posted..

talk about stress...

ya I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst. but It's my truck damit! Its the first vehicle I've owned in 7 years. Its paid for and it has never let me down. 30,000 km in two years it has never failed to start nor gone where I've pointed it.

The reality is that with the over inflated used car prices up here no matter how much they might give me for it, I won't be able to afford a new(er) vehicle for sometime.

If possible I'd like to be able to strip the upgrades I've done and yes I would buy another Pathfinder. Its just the right size. though I might look at a newer one. the next on the list would be an Xterra only because it's a similar and a body on frame design. a WD would be fantastic but they have all turned to dust up here. there is a RHD Terrano for sale here for 2000 but it'll probably be gone when I have money to look at it.

the short list would be 1.another R50 ('01-04) so I could transfer my suspension upgrades and be less rusty and a bigger engine. 2. Similar years Xterra 3.Isuzu Trouper 2nd gen 4. Mitsubishi Montero sport. 5. 4runner.

If I could find a Patrol at a reasonable price that would be the bomb. Its an outside chance.

And I'm sure there will be persons on a certain forum who will be interested in anything that may not fit on your next ride....

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

This guy is one, but I'd rather see it stay on the road. Keep us posted man.

-Kyle

I heard from someone who worked at a dealer that they changed the details of the recall so that almost all of them are fixable now. My dads was like yours and they gave him 5500 for his 2000 with 300k on it...But then recently I saw a guy locally who showed me one that was actually separated, and they fixed it.... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

My drivers side housing collapsed last fall. They have a patch that covers the recall area. Nothing more. In Ontario they will patch both sides for about $600 (free to you). They will not buy your truck unless you want that price. Would you sell for $600? Other wise they fix it. If you have modified the suspension they are not liable for a strut housing failure. The recall only covers that area. Mine had 12'" rip off the frame and push into the steering...I think all that was holding it was the brake line. They didn't offer a penny, they patched the recall area for $600 to them. That's all they have to do. I wouldn't worry about about them taking your truck. I'd worry about the rest of the rust. I had mine repaired last fall and now I have holes though the frame inches from their "patches". The new holes are not in the recall area. Good luck, I don't know why they want you to wait, my dealer wanted to pick mine up the day I called to ask about the recall. They got it on Tues. I picked up Thurs. evening, all patched up. Now the rest of the front "frame" is fubared.

Nope, most people who buy vehicles here think that running it through the cheapest touchless car wash and changing the oil constitutes good maintenance. My friend is of the "hey its raining, free car wash" mentality and he wonders why his 2010 sentra is already rusting.

• Like 1

I'm so glad they don't salt the roads here in Australia. We don't have any snow in Western Australia it's a very Mediterranean climate so we don't have the problem with rust although perhaps people who live near the coast can have problems with rust due to the salty sea air.

In regards to the rust repair if it's irreparable then I wouldn't drive it, I'd scrap it for parts. Think on the good side, you'll get some cash to buy another one and saved yourself from ending up plowing off the road having an accident. Basically you'll be saving yours and others lives, which is always a good thing!

Every time I've been up to my nuts in ice for 5 or 6 months I think "maybe some undercoating will help". Over 30 miles round trip to a car wash around here.

A good buddy of mine moved up to PA a few years ago. Sold his "southern" two wheel drive Toyota truck for a PROFIT because of the lack of rust. Maybe I should start buying used 4x4's locally on the cheap and selling them up there .. :scratchhead: