Nissan "Self-Cleaning" Paint!?!

xterra

I don't know if this is a good thing or not...

http://www.newsroom.nissan-europe.com/EU/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=117925

I'm a trail guy, but for all y'all who like mudding, this could be a challenge when telling your friends about the weekend.

You say: "Yah, mud was up to the wheel arch and I was flingin' it everywhere."

The truck says: "Mud? What mud? I was at Macy's..." because it looks like the right side in the pic below.

For me, there's something almost therapeutic about washing the truck. Maybe for sedans and mall runners...

nissan-note-1.jpg

I like to see such advances and usages from technology. That would be particularly useful on the windown/windshield, but then doesn't RainX basically do that already?

It would also be handy in the dry states where it would be good not to have to waste water to wash cars all the time, but then it just repells water and oil, not the bugs and dust that are the issue. :shrug:

B

That's a dream of mine, but I think that would be fantastic tech for my area, where dust is the biggest issue. I wonder too about how it reacts to scratching or hard water... Cool either way.

• Like 1

I wonder how they do it... part of the paint (unlikely given the part line in the picture) or if it's some kind of coating, like that NeverWet stuff. I would expect a coating to wear off, particularly on a car that gets brushed past and bumped into.

On the plus side, it would be pretty funny to watch someone try to wax one of these.

In the video on the Nissan Euro site, it showed them spraying a coating onto the already painted car. It wasn't clear to me if it's going to remain a coating after the fact, or if they plan to have it in the paint itself.

I'd forgotten about NeverWet - but that is what this seems like!

And to B's point, how's it going to deal with bugs? Guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

It looks like a good idea to me. It will surely cut down on water usage. It seems to me that the first step in regular car maintenance is the wash and wax, if that's done away with (for the most part) does that then mean that changing the oil and checking that all 4 tires are well inflated are next?

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder