Headers & Exhaust for more power?

enkrypt3d

Looking for something that won't make the truck too much louder I just need to be able to squeeze more juice out of this motor. I took the truck off road and with a full load and a few people it has trouble climbing the hills on the freeway without turning off over drive... which I find frustrating when cars get behind me trying to pass and I can't keep up with traffic!

Do the doug forley and borla exhaust add enough power that's worth the money? Thanks guys!

Headers will get you more hp yes, and the noise level is dependent on your exhaust system. A good quality borla, is worth it if you're willing to pay for it. Magna flow is another good brand to look at.

Looking for something that won't make the truck too much louder I just need to be able to squeeze more juice out of this motor. I took the truck off road and with a full load and a few people it has trouble climbing the hills on the freeway without turning off over drive... which I find frustrating when cars get behind me trying to pass and I can't keep up with traffic!

Do the doug forley and borla exhaust add enough power that's worth the money? Thanks guys!

You are actually supposed to turn off overdrive when under load in hilly terain.

Define 'enough power' and 'worth the money' please, it is probably different for everyone.;)

If replacing the exhaust nets you 10 hp, it doesn't sound like much but it is a 7% gain, just different ways of looking at it...

My WD21 with a stock motor, Thorley headers and custom exhaust has a bit better throttle response and more power than before.

B

Well the cost isn't really a problem. The problem I'm having is I'm forced to turn off OD when going up hills even on the highway... When I was wheeling over the weekend, in 4h, I'd have to put it in first gear to climb some of the steep hills otherwise it would try to stay in 2nd or 3rd unless I floor it which I shouldn't do off road hah!

Sorry, I wasn't clear about it. Turn off OD off road and under 30-35 mph on road and when in hilly terrain (up hill at least) on the highway or freeway. OD just pretty much just for relatively flat cruising...

Yes, the tranny will tend to shift up, even at low speeds, that is why you have the option to select the top gearing for the situation. You are doing it right, other than reading too much into 'automatic transmission'; it simply can't automatically select the best gear/rpm for every situation, that is asking too much.

Try playing with the 'power' switch as well.

B

• Like 1

If you put it in power mode and leave it in "2", I find it will pick the right gear for the situation itself...With headers on mine, compared to my stock exhaust old pathy, I can hold speed in OD easier than before on the same hills. What kind of off roading are you doing? Why not just use 4-low?

Nothing too crazy... and yea I did use 4L when I was climbing and descending steep hills off road...

but when on the highway it seems like the trans always wants to use the highest gear it can unless I force it.

Edited by enkrypt3d

Most of the good places are. I'd like to find something like that, but it would automatically be a long drive as well.

South/Western US? I've seen a lot of land that looks like that...

B

They are 265/75/15 BFG KM2 on 15x8's... I was seeing this problem before I changed the tires so I think my o2 sensor is toast or maf... just gotta figure out how to replace it!

You could start by getting an O2 Sensor socket and some PB Blaster. I know, it sucks $20 bucks for two items, one of which you'll not use again for the next couple of years.

You know..my truck does a wierd thing when I'm offroad sometimes and I'd been spinning the tires in loose terrain, gravel or mud, it won't downshift out of 2nd gear back to first even though I'm stopped, try 1st gear, put in neutral, park whatever...it's in 2nd gear until I turn off the engine and ignition completely, then start back up again and voila 1st gear is back! You may be getting that one...and offroad from a dead stop 2nd gear feels real sluggish, it would make you say...hey, wth?

Edited by gv280z

If you're towing or have a FULL truck just turn OverDrive off, you won't notice much of a MPG hit.. I recently drove to Oregon to tow a Datsun 1200 back. On the way down I got 14mpg cruising at 60mph with me and two people. On the way back, with U-Haul trailer with said 1200 and the same two people, I turned OD off for the entirety of the trip and got 12.5mpg.

And anytime you're "off road" you should be in 4L. 4H is basically for snowy roadways.

If you're towing or have a FULL truck just turn OverDrive off, you won't notice much of a MPG hit.. I recently drove to Oregon to tow a Datsun 1200 back. On the way down I got 14mpg cruising at 60mph with me and two people. On the way back, with U-Haul trailer with said 1200 and the same two people, I turned OD off for the entirety of the trip and got 12.5mpg.

And anytime you're "off road" you should be in 4L. 4H is basically for snowy roadways.

"Off road" is open to interpretation.

If I used 4lo on a lot of the trails I like it would take me days....

Yea the roads where we were didn't need 4L unless I was on some of the less traveled roads or some of the very steep hills going up or down.

Anyone know where the plug is for the o2 sensor? letting the truck cool down and going to try and unplug it to see if thats my problem.

I did turn on "power mode" instead of full auto which helps some but the engine used to feel much stronger regardless of what gear it's in.

Maintenance done so far:

timing belt

water pump

all new belts

new starter

new intake manifold gaskets

new valve cover gaskets

new brakes

new shocks

new springs

new bushings

new tires & wheels

oil change / trans fluid change

new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor

new fuel filter and air filter

All of this was done in the past year or so... The only things remaining are:

Fuel pump

fuel injectors

oxygen sensors

MAF sensor

What else am I missing?

Unplug the o2 and see if it runs better. If it does, then you know.

That isn't really a definitive test...

Maybe on your local trails, but that statement just showed your limited experience. :shrug:

B