THE BIG MOVE PART II

SUPERPOLLO

Hello everyone, did you miss me? :)

Some time ago I started to tell you all the Big Move. I come from Barcelona (Europe), actually now, since february, living in Rio Rancho (New Mexico USA), I've got my residence here in the USA recently, to live with my husband and family.

Then I decided to move to the USA with my nissan, an old 2.7 turbodiesel form 1992. It does'nt matter how old, how many miles, how many everything... not without my nissan¡¡¡

Time ago, I started the moving in Barcelona, de-register the car, paperwork, shipping company...I arrived to the USA in february, had to take care about my residence, while my nissan was across the ocean from Barcelona to Houston.

The nissan just arrived at port in Houston yesterday, now it's in the warehouse waiting for me :lmao: to pick it up, and then drive home from Houston to Rio Rancho.

Who could tell me years ago, when I got my nissan...? who could tell me that our hardest trip was across the ocean???

But now,.. big move part II, couse it's not so easy, now another dificulties appear...

Thanks to everyone who follow me, helped me, and encouraged me with that moving (the big move 'topic' I started few months ago).

My husband, family in USA and in Barcelona, friends... everybody thinks I am crazy? such an old car¡ I thought here in this forum people would understand me.

Thanks everyone¡¡¡

Now I am waiting for the warehouse to send me a pic of tne nissan, to make sure is in good condition after the trip¡¡¡

Ok, but now, the difficulties part II: the car is in the warehouse, they give me time until next wednesday 4/23 to pick it up... looks like it's so easy? but not yet¡ of course I shall be in Houston, but.... the question is...

The warehouse will give me the car if I show them the registration, insurance,... ok, I understand, but the problem is.... i was yesterday in the MVD (motor vehicle division) in Rio Rancho, couse I am living in New Mexico, and I will register the care in New Mexico... but they told me that if the car is in Houston, I need to do it in Houston¡¡¡ :wtf:

Aaaarrrgghhh

The MVD needs the insurance, my driving license, the costumes clearance... and me in Houston. It's going to be hard, couse I have no flights from Albuquerque to Houston until tuesday or wednesday, I don't know if I will have time to do everything.

I am stresssssssssssssssseeedddddddddddddddddd :ar15:

ok. I call now to the MVD in Houston to ask if I can do it in the internet

Be back sooooon

Can you just have a shipping company pick up the car, put it on a trailer and bring it to you? That way it shouldn't need insurance, etc?

Also, out here in California there is a vehicle certification of non-operation, basically meaning that you won't be driving the vehicle at all until you register it.

There has to be a way to get it off the boat without registering and insuring it in Texas, and you should be able to just supply the proper paperwork without being there in person. Keep at it and don't give up, there has to be a way. :aok:

B

• Like 1

Thanks for your post¡¡¡

i thought about that way, but...

I already call Houston, and they told me is not possible to do it this way, I need to be there in Houston in person, at the MVD, and get a temporary permission and register. Even worse yet, because I have to go through two states. The manager of the warehouse told me also, to give me the car I need this permission.

But seriously, I think you are right, there has to be a way. We are going to insist a few more... I will call them back again and insist, there has to be a way.

aaahhhh The vehicle certification of non-operation is available in New Mexico, but not in Texas, so I need to registre the car in Texas to pick it up.

Thanks¡¡¡ I must go on...

You may want to see if this is an option in Texas: When I bought my rig in Arizona and drive it back here to Tennessee, I was able to get a "non-resident transfer tag." Basically I paid for a piece of paper to put in the window and sign a document saying I was leaving the state within 3 days.

Good luck - and I can't wait to see pics of your truck once you get it home.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody¡¡¡

Uauhhh many suggestions.... really good¡ But ... after calling all MVD, car dealer and many others I have exhausted all options here in New Mexico and Texas, I need to go Houston, get a temporary permission (30 days) and with this one I can drive until Albuquerque.

So I am getting a plan, next monday I will go Houston, flights are not available now, possibly I need to rent a car, hope someone come with me¡¡¡

I will give you news about the trip. Hope my nissan is in good condition after the trip.

See you sooooooooooooooonnnnnnn :lmao:

OK friends...

I've got the plan, thanks God my family... they will help me to bring the nissan home, from Houston to Rio Rancho.

Finally, I am sure there is no option in Texas to bring the car to my home using a tow truck, the MVD in Houston and here in Rio Rancho, the warehouse, many agencies... everyone told me that is not possible in Texas. I have to be there in person to register and move the car.

So, I only have time until next wednesday. I can not find a ticket to fly this weekend, all planes are plenty. My uncle, my politic father and my friend are going to drive me to Houston 900 miles with their own car, next monday, then, tuesday, do paperwork in the MVD. (they need lots of papers¡¡¡) then...

wednesday we will return back, me and my friend driving the nissan, and my uncle and my politic father with their own car will follow the nissan.

The car should be ok, I hope so long time in the vessel and in the storage have not damaged the battery¡¡¡

We'll take a battery charger just in case, water and the most important, diesel fuel¡¡¡ To ship the car in a vessel is essential to drain the fuel tank.

How many things I have in my mind¡¡¡

Hey that does sound like a good plan, I'm so happy for you ! I'm glad you've got some help coming with you. Are you bringing all the parts you need or are you going to aquire them locally? Battery, engine oil, diesel, power steering fluid brake fluid, coolant. I can help you locate a parts store close to the port if you want. I know you must be excited, starting your new life in the US with your old friend there with you.

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 1

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa thanks¡¡¡

My family will drive me, so in their car we will bring a charger, battery, there's a gas station beside the warehouse... the car is ok, Thanks gv280z I really apreciate it¡¡¡

You're right, I am so excited to start here a new life with my old friend¡¡¡ I could never let it down, in the same way it never left me down.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, try to get a permission to put the car on a tow truck, I tried so hard¡¡¡ But is not possible in Texas. If I know that before¡¡¡ was more easy then the itinerary from Barcelona to Los Angeles, becouse there in California is possible get permission, the shipping company can do paperwork and make a plan just tow the car to your house, no obligation for me to be there in Los Angeles and register the car and....

Ok, for the next time I now how to do it¡¡¡

hahahahhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

I have enjoyed reading this thread. It is so cool that you will have a diesel Terrano in the land of gasoline powered Pathfinders. :aok:

Good luck on your trip. Sounds like you have a great family.

• Like 1

Me again...

Now I am getting ready for my trip¡¡¡ tomorrow early we're going driving Houston for the Pathfinder Rescue¡¡¡ My father in law, my uncle and my husband. Hope tuesday I have time enough in Houston with all paperwork: MVD, insurance provisional, warehouse... I am going to be stresseeddddddd¡¡¡¡

My father in law got three months ago a new Subaru xv crosstrek, so he is happy to do the trip with me/us. When we come back Rio Rancho, they will follow me just in case (hahahahhhhh). He ignores how much I spent in the big move, can imagine a lot, but I can not tell him exactly, will think I am crazy (well, a few sure I am).

So I have the oportunitie to demonstrate them something's good with my 2.7 turbodiesel. Ok, it's a turtle, but it's strong and funny, and has good mileage. It's time ago I don't do a chek about the gas mileage, we shall see...

what do you bet? who is going to do the trip with less gas??? my Pathfinder? or the Subaru?????

Do you want to follw me?

• Like 1

Well..the new Subie has a 2.5L boxer 4cyl no turbo and I think gets in the high teens for city driving and probably low 20s hwy, your 2.7L I'd guess is getting 25 - 28mpg hwy, I think you'll come out on top.

Are you going to have to convert to left hand drive?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yep, I bet on the Pathy as well. 1/2 as fast but 150% the mileage...

RHD shouldn't be an issue unless you are passing, but what does a diesel Pathy pass that isn't parked? :tongue:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, try to get a permission to put the car on a tow truck, I tried so hard¡¡¡ But is not possible in Texas. If I know that before¡¡¡ was more easy then the itinerary from Barcelona to Los Angeles, becouse there in California is possible get permission, the shipping company can do paperwork and make a plan just tow the car to your house, no obligation for me to be there in Los Angeles and register the car and....

Ok, for the next time I now how to do it¡¡¡

hahahahhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but maybe it will help someone in the future. It seems crazy that Texas makes it so difficult, but maybe it is just a revenue generator. :shrug:

Don't worry too much, you are almost done with this. At this point, anything can be worked out.

You aren't crazy for doing this either. It makes sense that you want to bring something familiar and trusted to your new country; I give you credit for figuring it out and seeing it through. :aok:

Good luck, and share some pictures when you get her home.

B

Well granted ofcourse...I don't know..are regular people allowed to drive around in the US using right hand drive? I guess she could always contract out to the govt for carrying mail in extreme conditions..

Well granted ofcourse...I don't know..are regular people allowed to drive around in the US using right hand drive? I guess she could always contract out to the govt for carrying mail in extreme conditions..

Yes. I see LHD cars out in LA and at car shows.

Gov't doesn't care AFAIK (shockingly).