1995 pathfinder 4wd won't work, at all. HELP

Mrd1234

Just grabbed a 95 pathfinder today. Haven't had much time to go over it and look at it, but I went to take it for a drive through the mud when I got home and when I shifted into 4hi there was nothing, same for 4lo. The green light on the dash comes on for it and I tried reversing and driving forward slightly to see if these automatic hubs would lock and I don't think I heard anything. Any ideas?

You didn't hear anything, or it didn't engage?

Those are two different things. I can safely say I've never heard noise from the auto hubs, maybe it's just me.

But they have always engaged. If you have the space and tools, I always prefer to just jack all four wheels off the ground to check, but there are easier ways of course.

When I shift it the linkage makes a noise as it goes into place but there's no clunking no nothing. They say usually you can hear the hubs click when they engage but I couldn't hear anything. I drove around to see if it would work but nothing

Auto hubs are kind of a crapshoot, especially if they haven't been used in a while. I don't remember hearing anything from the hubs unless the rear is slipping when they lock (wham!) or the one time that one of them came half disengaged and chattered.

To check them I'd say try and put it in 4x (engage the transfer case and then drive it several feet forward), jack up the front end, spin a wheel and see if the CV shaft spins with the wheel. If the CV and wheel don't spin together, then that hub isn't locked in. The front diff on these is wide open so both hubs have to lock for the front wheels to do anything.

You can open them up and service them (just a grease job) and check the thickness of the bits inside (the service manual calls them brakes) against the specs in the manual. Mine are worn way past tolerance and their performance is spotty, though they do usually work. A word of warning, though, after I worked on mine, one of the clutch sections found a way to bind up and made the truck handle like the brake caliper on that side was dragging. (I may have simply put it back together wrong.) A good whack with a rubber mallet might unstick a hub without having to disassemble it, and if it doesn't, it might at least make you feel better.

Most people recommend manual hubs. I'm planning to install a set before next winter.

a way simpler method is to find a gravel lot. in 2wd drive in a tight circle....then try an drive the same circle in 4Hi... if you can't then the 4x4 system is working. in 4x4 it is much harder to turn a tight circle because of the differential effect.

I've never once "heard" my hubs engage. I trust the green light.

I have ready tried my 4wd and I know it is not working, like I said I pulled into some mud and immediately got stuck. Later this afternoon I'm

Gonna try giving the hubs a whack with a Malloy and of that doesn't work maybe take them

Off and check them out? Is there any other methods I can try? does anyone know of any common issues with these 4wd systems that haven't already been mentioned?

just because you have 4x4 doesn't mean you won't get stuck..... ;) were the front wheels not spinning? were you in 4x4 before you hit the mud or did you engage it after the rear was spinning? If you engaged 4x4 after it could be that there was not enough friction on the front wheels to get the hubs to engage, especially if the grease in hubs is a little thick.

the Nissan 4x4 system is a very robust system very few people have an issue with it.

Since the Pathy is new to you I bet the PO almost never engaged the 4x4 system (most people never do) so things just might be a little stiff. when I first got mine I had trouble with the hubs not dis-engaging, a few fun trips latter and everything works just fine.

If your up for it, I would replace the fluid in both the front diff and the transfer case. thats probably never been done either.

It probably is the hubs. Either sticking or the two brake plates are worn down. I had this problem on my old one. I threw on a set of good used pieces and never had an issue again. If it gets cold where you live, don't use a thick grease or they will not work properly. The grease nissan used was good, but I just used fluid film to lube my hubs.

a way simpler method is to find a gravel lot. in 2wd drive in a tight circle....then try an drive the same circle in 4Hi... if you can't then the 4x4 system is working. in 4x4 it is much harder to turn a tight circle because of the differential effect.

I've never once "heard" my hubs engage. I trust the green light.

That is because you don't have auto hubs, you have drive flanges that are permanently bolted to the CVs, spinning them all the time. That is why a manual hub upgrade is more important for an R50 than a WD21.

I have ready tried my 4wd and I know it is not working, like I said I pulled into some mud and immediately got stuck. Later this afternoon I'm

Gonna try giving the hubs a whack with a Malloy and of that doesn't work maybe take them

Off and check them out? Is there any other methods I can try? does anyone know of any common issues with these 4wd systems that haven't already been mentioned?

Did you read Slartibartfast's post?

First thing is to disassemble the hubs, clean them, make sure there are no damaged parts, reassemble them with a minimim of light grease and test them out, not whacking them with a 'Malloy', you caveman!

Go to the Garage section, download the Factory Service Manual, go to FA-19, read and study the exploded view, and then take a look...

B

Personally I think it's the hubs also, if you can't get them working as described above, then you would be miles ahead to get a set of mile marker or warn manual hubs. I know for me just the piece of mind, knowing that they are locked in forward and reverse (the automatic hubs don't always stay in reverse) 4x4parts sells them pretty cheap brand new. Very easy to install also. Just my thoughts.

I took the passenger side hub off earlier to take a look inside. Not exactly 100% sure what it was supposed to look like but from what you guys all have been describing it looked ok, seems like a thin but average amount of grease. Spring and what I'm guessing was the "brake" looked ok. Anyone have a link to what the inside of the hub is supposed to look like?

Either way I'm headed to a pick n pull location very quick here and I think I'm gonna grab two or three different sets of Hubs and try them all. Got lots of spare time anyways as it's break up season on the oil rigs XD.

I took the passenger side hub off earlier to take a look inside. Not exactly 100% sure what it was supposed to look like but from what you guys all have been describing it looked ok, seems like a thin but average amount of grease. Spring and what I'm guessing was the "brake" looked ok. Anyone have a link to what the inside of the hub is supposed to look like?

Did you read Slartibartfast's post?

Go to the Garage section, download the Factory Service Manual, go to FA-19, read and study the exploded view, and then take a look...

B

Do you actually read the responses that are posted?

B

• Like 1

Wanna thank everyone for your help! Grabbed some used hubs and it worked, slightly. 4wd takes a minute to kick in sometimes but I'm grabbing brand new warn manual locking hubs in a couple weeks. Already managed to sink it in the river and now it won't start XD

Hate to bring up a dead thread but I have a similar problem. I have a noise from front end that sounds like lose belts but I am 99% sure it is not lose belts. I believe I have no 4wd but just realized this morning the green light is not coming on with the 4wd lever. Also mine is too easy to get into 4wd. Any thoughts about why the green light is not coming on? I'll check the hubs when I get home as based on my read of this thread that is the most likely culprit. Just wanted to find out if the green light not coming on would add to the possible suspects. My truck is pretty low miles 129k original miles.

If the 4wd light (it looks like this, right -0-) isn't coming on, then I can only assume you haven't put it into 4wd mode correctly. With mine you have to be in N and then push down on the 4wd stick, then shift it into gear. You aren't just pushing it into gear and grinding it, are you? Also I would check the bulb for the 4wd light isn't blown and check the fluid level in the transfer.

That almost sounds like something to do with the linkage for your 4wd if the light isn't coming on and it's really easy to shift. You need to raise your truck and take a look