UCA lubrication

hagge

Hi!

I Installed new UCA's from AC about a year ago, now there is a anoing squiking noice from one bushing on the left side.

I think i didn't use enough grease when installing the bushings.

Is it possible to get grease in the joint now, or do i have to dissasemble, press out the bushing and do it all over again?

I wonder if it's possible to fit a grease point/ zerk? (not sure about the correct english word for it)

/Hägge

So you used the factory style press in bushings, not aftermarket polyurethane slip fit bushings? If factory, yes, you would have to press them out, but you can try soaking them with a liquid lubricant. It won't last for ever, but it would be the easiest way.

Yes, zerk fitting is the common US term for a grease nipple, and yes, they can be installed; I have done it myself. It would be hard to do on the vehicle and might damage the bushing and pack metal shavings into itif it wasn't done disassembled.

B

The only grease zerk I found on mine is at the idler arm. It appears the universal joints still have the original grease screws still installed. I hope these a just a matter of unscrew and screw in grease fittings.

Ok, thanks!

Yes, i tried to soak but no result.

I used the polyurethane bushings that came with the UCAs from AC...

They will come out easy and can be used again?

I remember i struggled hard to get the stock ones out.

Then i think i will take it apart and maybe install grease nipples at the same time.

Thanks!

The polyurethane bushings (a diameter with a flange on one end) should be easily removable and should be reusable as long as they aren't significantly compressed or worn, the stock ones are difficult to remove and probably aren't reusable after any length of time. People have experimented with different greases to stop the squeaks and IIRC there were two good solutions; one was a grease from Energy Suspension (who might have made the bushings you have) and the other was to use waterproof boat trailer wheel bearing grease. If you have the arms off, might as well install zerk fittings, it isn't hard and should do the trick. When I installed mone, I also grooved the OD of the bushing with grease channels and cross drilled through the center in the channels so the grease should be able to migrate to the ID of the bushing as well. Probably overkill, but this is what happens when a machinist over thinks something and is bored at work one day. :D

The only grease zerk I found on mine is at the idler arm. It appears the universal joints still have the original grease screws still installed. I hope these a just a matter of unscrew and screw in grease fittings.

No the UCAs do not come ready for zerk fittings, they have to be drilled and tapped.

B