Weird A/T flashing sequence

My Terrano 1991 turbo diesel with auto has this trans switch on the lower left side of the dash display that has power mode/a/t/hold on it. I understand how this switch works. My question is, sometimes when I start up first thing in the morning, it flashes green on the power side, then flashes about 12 or 13 times on the 'hold' side. It happens every now and then, what does this flashing sequence mean? The transmission has clean fluid in it and the engine is regularly oil changed by myself.

that light flashing is akin to the CEL coming on. If you have the FSM for your Terrano you should be able to look up what the sequence means.

What Silverton said.

That is the transmission control module telling you that somethign is wrong.

Thanks guys, I went for a nice long drive today and everything is normal. It's shifting nicely as usual. I think the problem is that I'm not getting all the old fluid out via just the drain plug, I need to flush out whatever is left in the torque converter too.

Thanks guys, I went for a nice long drive today and everything is normal. It's shifting nicely as usual. I think the problem is that I'm not getting all the old fluid out via just the drain plug, I need to flush out whatever is left in the torque converter too.

I've done two transmission "flushes" this way. And it works really well and is very fast! You'd be surprised how much volume is being pumped at idle.

Pictures used to work, but the words should be explanation enough. If not, let me know I'll try to make a picture how-to.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8767

Update - I took the engine protect metal cover off underneath the front and found a loose transmission hose so I tightened it up. Must have been loosing vacuum pressure, hence the flashing sequence. I degreased everything too so I can check later for any leaks.

I checked this morning after driving to work and the hose connection is dry which is a good sign and no leaks, level is ok but I'll definitely flush the trans cooler to get all the old fluid out on the next service. Thanks for all your help Silverton!