95 pathfinder tranny shifting funny need help

billpittman

ok folks i'm new here and could use some help . just bought this 95 pathfinder 4x4, trans will not engage when shifting from park to drive, however if you pull shift selector into 2 nd trans takes gear and will shift first to second at this time you can shift to drive position but you have to lift off the throttle and then wait for it to take drive if you don't lift from the throttle trans will slip severly. fluid is new and so is the filter. after trans finally takes drive it does fine doesn't slip at all , drive and overdrive work fine however when you come to a stop you must then again pull selector into 2nd for the trans to down shift and take off in 1st any ideas. any input will be greatly appreciated.

#1 DON'T DRIVE IT!

There could be a few things wrong with it, from mild to bad. The second thing I would do (first is DON'T DRIVE IT) would be to download the Factory Service Manual from the top of the Garage section and read up on the tranny diagnostics, then follow them. Sometimes the stock cooler clogs and it loses line pressure, but that usually affects reverse first. See what the diagnostics say, these are complicated trannys...

B

ok folks i finally got to check the pathy today and you guessed it no codes , so whats my next move? kind of stuck on this one ,any ideas? one thing i did notice is that after i move gear shifter from park to drive it will take gear after about 20 sec but you can tell its not engaging as it should.,any help on this would be a great help.

Edited by billpittman

Ok, I guess line pressure then.

Determine the out line (IIRC the drivers side, but please verify that) that leads to the cooler in the radiator. Remove the rubber hose from the out side connecting to the hard return line and put it in a bucket (something holding it in place). Fire it up for 5 seconds (no gas just idle) and shut it off. Measure/estimate the amount of fluid and return it to the tranny.

Remove the out line and put it in the bucket, run for 5 seconds, measure it and compare... This is a crude test to see of the radiator cooler is clogged, and it will be messy.

The other option is to just plug the out line into the in line and see if it goes away, but you risk flushing crap directly back into the tranny that way.

If the cooler is clogged, you can back flush it with a cleaner from Nissan or just bypass it into an aftermarket cooler like many of us do.

Just to cover all bases, the tranny is properly filled and with the correct type of fluid? Nissan D-matic (IIRC) or Dextron/Merkon3 ?

B

I'm moving this to the Garage section for better exposure...

Edited by Precise1

There's also the torque converter to think about, I haven't seen it on the pathfinder, but I have had a couple converters go bad, they acted like he described above. It gotta do with it not building up enough pressure in the blade area. While sitting still they'll loose pressure and then when you get it going it will slowly receive enough fluid and lock up properly. I'm not a mechanic by any means, just have experienced same thing in couple different Detroit trucks...good luck, precise1 won't steer you wrong, one of the guy's here that really knows his stuff.

will check the cooler today luckily i have a new trans cooler on the shelf at my shop , have read about this problem and was wondering about line pressure. thanks for the help, will keep you updated on what i find

The only other thing I cam think of, if it's not engaging D until after 20 seconds and you keep having to select '2' to start driving, then the bands inside possibly need adjusting, the gears aren't meshing properly and I empathise the word Possibly. I don't wish these type of repairs on any Pathy owner. It can cost anything from $1,000 up to $2,500 for a total trans rebuild.

the thing that puzzles me is why can i shft it manuelly and with a slight pause between 2nd and drive the trans appears to have no slippage. if i do this it when driving the trans takes drive and o/d great , will try new trans cooler today and see what happens , fluid is dex 3 and it looks good. previous owner stated that he had just had a trans service done 1 month ago . had it on the lift yesterday and checked for broken wiring to sensors , nothing obvious there , but will inspect more today and let you know. terra thanks for your help , i'm great with cars but this computer stuff , well lets just say i'm learning lol ,,