running new exhaust without cats

alex79

Then you should know that it against federal law to remove the cats from the exhaust system, not to mention socially irresponsible. Will it hurt the vehicle/motor, no. Will it speak negatively of you, yes.

B

• Like 1

As I agree with the above, I will state that you will also have a decrease in overall performance by deleting the cats. Without programming or a way to manipulate the air/fuel and o2 sensors, you will have less power, mileage and overall driveability. There are aftermarket options available(magnaflow) to help keep costs down over factory units.

• Like 1

supposedly clogged cats can be cleaned with mild dish soap and water....?? haven't tried it but unless they are rusted out it might work at least worth a try as compared with buying new ones.

Clogged cats cannot be washed out with dish soap and water - I used to fit exhaust systems back in the day and we would oxy cut open dead catalytic converters and inside them is a honey comb material which the exhaust gases have to pass through. Nothing you can do once it's clogged - you replace it.

do the cats that are not direct fit have to be welded to the header

Many after market cats are bolt on direct fit, and other are universal weld in. The weld ins are usually cheaper, but require more labor to install and are obviously harder to remove in the future.

Without knowing the exact specs of what you need (trim level may affect fitment and I'm guessing you only need 49 state compliance) here are some examples of that are available.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/nissan-pathfinder-catalytic-converter-2006.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/2006/Nissan/Pathfinder?ie=UTF8&partsNode=15726731

What was the reason the original cats failed? Make absolutely certain the cause is rectified before proceeding.

B

How can "all" the cats be bad? Are you just getting catalyst codes? Honestly I don't think cats can "clog" unless something physically enters the exhaust or the engine overheats so much that the honeycomb stuff melts and restricts. People just use it as an excuse to remove them. I am not an expert but have been almost screwed over by mechanics before telling me this fairy tale.

Edited by adamzan

Running too rich can load up/clog the honey comb with unburned hydrocarbons and I've heard that running too lean/hot can break down the honey comb base material (they aren't solid platinum, paladium, etc!) causing it to break, creating it's own debris to clog its self. Yeah, the cats can fail/be clogged. Others can work for 30 years... :shrug:

B

mine was clogged on my sentra, I know they say ( which of course makes sense) to fix what ever caused the cat to clog first or a new one will do the same thing, But my car is a 90, I can see it getting clogged over all those years, burning oil, additives, etc. the OP pathfinder is a 2006. I can't see them being clogged in 8 years especially as Adam said all of them.

The cat from my car, I don't think it was running rich, maybe burning a little oil as it gets up in age 259K miles original engine, so overtime they can clog but as I said it's 24 years old.

clogged cat inlet:

2mzhz53.jpg

outlet:

28mn2ap.jpg

I removed it for now, will get a universal one someday, I could tell from how the exhaust sounded that something was wrong, mpg came up by 3 too

Edited by ahardb0dy

if you hit the cats on stuff it can break the comb loose and turn and act as a clogged cat it happened on my camaro but thats cause the catonly sits 2" off the ground (the cat is visible from under the car when looking at the passenger side the actule body sits about 4-5 " off the ground so any speed bumps and im hitting the cat