Exhaust Help

Hey all. Looking at throwing on a different muffler for a better sound. I am ballin' on a budget but luckily I have a buddy who's been working on and welding exhaust components for years. I've searched and I haven't really found a solid/reliable answer on here. So I was just wondering what dimensions I'd be looking for. I know it's a dual in single out but not sure about the exact dimensions. I'd rather get a compatible muffler than have to deal with a y-pipe. All help is appreciated!

My brother had a mangaflow installed on his 99 QX4 some years back. He doesn't have it anymore, but here is what is sounded like right after having it installed..

It was never overly loud or annoying.

(Sorry, it's a old video. May have been shot with a potato)

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I have a Magnaflow 18" and LOVE the sound. Great tone at idle and cruising around town, helped mpg a little, and let's you know who's coming when my foot's in it. ;)

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 2

I have a Magnaflow 18" and LOVE the sound. Great tone at idle and cruising around town, helped mpg a little, and let's you know who's coming when my foot's in it. ;)

What are the inlet/outlet dimensions on it? I know you have an exhaust video you'd love to show me :laugh::laugh:

i went with a thrush turbo and i like the sound its not loud but has a good tone and no interior resonance im guessing you have the 3.5L motor so it might be a littler bit louder then mine since i have the 3.3L

Question here along the same lines. I have leaky exhaust - both "mid-vehicle" resonators have bad leaks, a couple welded butt-joints are leaking, and I have a pinhole leak in the muffler. I bought the cheapo $5 putty to give it a shot. Yes, I know that its not permanent and will fail again. But for $5, its worth a try. Can't knock me for that. If/when is leaks again (if the resonators) I'm going to straight pipe those and delete the resonators. I'm considering another muffler as a wishlist item. I want to keep flow velocities similar while reducing backpressure (a.k.a. similar pipe total area/less restrictive muffler). A 2.5" single pipe achieves this (4.82 sq.in. total area for stock dual inlet pipes, 4.91 sp.in. total area at the 2.5" single out), so I'll slow down in exhaust velocity but only slightly.

So, to my question: has anyone found a decently cheap dual 1.75" in Y-pipe to 2.5" single out? Or has everyone gone to a shop and gotten this stuff done?

don't feel bad about the putty. my muffler is held together with mechanics wire, beer cans, and muffler tape.

just waiting for the weather to warm up before tackling this job.

Whats warmer for you? 30 above? :lmao:

But i can sympathize with the janked exhaust, mine just seems to be set up to return to dust... My rear resonator fell of, and now one of my down pipe its attempting to follow suit...

-Kyle

Whats warmer for you? 30 above? :lmao:

-Kyle

there is still 3ft of snow on my front lawn and I woke up to -20C yesterday morning. I do most of my work on the front street so ya 30C would be fine with me...the way things are going though that might not happen till July.

I'm pretty sure they just used a dual in/single out muffler. They are fairly common. FWIW I used a Dynomax one on mine, can't even tell the difference from stock on the freeway but when you get on it you can hear it.

I've had a Dynomax catback before on a Cherokee. Wasn't bad. Cheap but not much low end grunt. What dual inlet diameter? 2"? Haven't seen many/any 1.75" dual inlets.

mine sounds about that but a little bit quieter

It typically quiets down once the engine's warmed up, but always has a nice, classic VQ hum at low rpms. Sounds very aggressive once I'm in the cams past 3k.

there is still 3ft of snow on my front lawn and I woke up to -20C yesterday morning. I do most of my work on the front street so ya 30C would be fine with me...the way things are going though that might not happen till July.

dang, how far north are you??? but i will be definitely waiting to see what new stuff you post...

Can anyone tell me what inlet dimensions we have? That'd be pretty helpful in my search hahaha

Its small, i'm thinking like 2" (maybe even 1.75" or for you Canadians 4.445 cm), i know my Xterra friend ran 2.5, from the CAT's back. Sounds REALLY good, nice and throaty, but this is also the same guy who put a stupid throttle body spacer, so he has his wins and misses, lol

-Kyle

Since it's a duel in single out I'm thinking of doing a true duel all the way back and just buying two catalytic converters some more piping and then two mufflers. Anyone ever done this or have any thoughts?

Since it's a duel in single out I'm thinking of doing a true duel all the way back and just buying two catalytic converters some more piping and then two mufflers. Anyone ever done this or have any thoughts?

Those that I have seen try it sometimes end up getting Check Engine Lights and trouble passing emmissions testing.

We'll I already have the first problem and my state doesn't have emissions testing but I guess that idea is a no go, oh well. I wonder what make the check engine light come on.... Reduced back pressure maybe?

dang, how far north are you??? but i will be definitely waiting to see what new stuff you post...

Its small, i'm thinking like 2" (maybe even 1.75" or for you Canadians 4.445 cm), i know my Xterra friend ran 2.5, from the CAT's back. Sounds REALLY good, nice and throaty, but this is also the same guy who put a stupid throttle body spacer, so he has his wins and misses, lol

-Kyle

We use inches for exhaust pipe up here too :rolleyes:

:tongue:

• Like 1

We'll I already have the first problem and my state doesn't have emissions testing but I guess that idea is a no go, oh well. I wonder what make the check engine light come on.... Reduced back pressure maybe?

Dilution of gasses the sensors are reading.

We'll I already have the first problem and my state doesn't have emissions testing but I guess that idea is a no go, oh well.

:lol: Ain't it great living in the "Dirty South"? My CEL has been on for over two years now. Mine is throwing the O2 and the emissions charcoal canister code. I wish I could give you some useful input on the dimensions of my aftermarket muffler but, I picked mine off of a '96 R50 at our local scrap yard for $40 (pipe and all)! It sounds pretty nice when I throttle it without the dreaded "drone" at cruising speeds.

• Like 1