Spare Tire Rack Lube

N2mesnob

Wussup my ppl I'm wanting to kno if anyone kno how to lube the spare tire carrier on my WD21. I saw a thread bout it some years ago but am having trouble finding it now. Also if you kno of what I speak also any up to date info would be good too as the last time I think the post said something bout only being able to to get the tool from Harbor Freight.

I am not sure what other way there is but I took some Tri Flow with a straw attached a d sprayed it in the little hole in the side of the housing. I let it soak for a day or so, did it again a d now it works like a million bucks. Would like to here other experiences and ideas....

When you swing the carrier wide open you will see the holes on the inside of the carrier at the hinge point, one top one bottom. I know they say it's not really a good lubricant but I sprayed in the holes on my old 94 with WD40 and the thing still swings open with no effort at all.

I did that to my rear tyre carrier last week. I put some ATF in an old medicine bottle it is one of those ones with a squeeze bulb on it with a plastic tube dropper. Squeezed some ATF into the holes to give it's medicine lol. Been opening it with just 2 fingers now.

I took mine off the truck, got a guy at work to drill and tap it for a zerk/ grease nipple and I just give it a shot of grease every so often. There isnt a grease chanel as such but I seem to be able to get it in there and now have grease all around the shafts.

Works pretty well but he did say it was a bugger to drill out due to the angle of it on the drill press

That was after I painted it, right after I bought the PF, flat black. see my pics in my build thread if you want to see good with wax ! LOL

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36309-ahardb0dys-94-pathfinder-se/page-2

tire carrier before and after page 1, nicely waxed with the Mothers 3 stage system page 2

I've used many things to lube the carrier hinges, and yes, even WD40 will work ok for a while (and is the easiest) but what worked amazingly well for me was applying a little bit of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the top and bottom of the hinges with an acid brush (dab it in the hole as well), let it sit for a day to creep, then open and closed it a few times to distribute it and wipe away any residue off. The LOS is like honey in consistancy, and the tire carrier opens so easily now that I have to be careful that it doesn't swing all the way open and hit hard on the stops. Probably the next best thing to zerks and grease.

B

• Like 1

I've used many things to lube the carrier hinges, and yes, even WD40 will work ok for a while (and is the easiest) but what worked amazingly well for me was applying a little bit of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the top and bottom of the hinges with an acid brush (dab it in the hole as well), let it sit for a day to creep, then open and closed it a few times to distribute it and wipe away any residue off. The LOS is like honey in consistancy, and the tire carrier opens so easily now that I have to be careful that it doesn't swing all the way open and hit hard on the stops. Probably the next best thing to zerks and grease.

B

+1 for LOS - that stuff is liquid gold. Added a 1/2 bottle of the HD when I was topping up the (manual) tranny fluid as well.

Edited by madhakish

Come for the LOLs, stay for the veal...

Yes I know but who ever uses that lol. I remember the first time I saw that little do hicky I was like why is that there...oh to hold the frame open, doh!

Not once in 10 years, but then it hasn't attacked me in 10 years either... ;)

B

I've used the metal retainer like two times since 2005. Since I discovered how to properly lubricate the hinges, I think I might be using the metal retainer more often. My tyre carrier is freed right up. ATF seems to not only lubricate but it works as a cleaning agent too it seems

I ended up cutting the pin off of mine (the clips broke, so it banged into stuff). Somehow I always end up parking it with the passenger's side higher by enough to make the carrier want to shut on me. So I jam a screwdriver or a stick or something in there to hold it open.