swing out spare carrier

green180

yes, I think theexbrit did this, and someone else I can not recall. I think it might be better just to have a bumper built that has an integral carrier, but some people like the factory look.

B

• Like 1

Yea I like the factory look, I message theexbrit, I don't think he's been online, I have the factory setup ready to go on, just wanted to see what people have done

I'm the one that sent exbrit his swing away, and others have asked about installing the factory swing away but unless you have the mounting points already installed, it's genuinely more practical to buy a 1996 and swap all yours over. Because the amount of fab work involved would be insane.

I'm not quite what your saying is you have the factory mounting hardware and you just need a swing away?

-Kyle

^^^ What he said. If you don't have the factory bracing from originally having a OEM one. Way to much work. You have to fab in the correct braces and such that tie into the structural part of the body. With no actual room constitutes cutting of the body to make a hole..yadda yadda. Better and cheaper to fab a rear bumper with a swing out.

Ok, I have the swing away carrier, mine didn't come equipped with the mounting holes, I'm guessing thexbrit had mounting holes on his r50

Yeah, he and I made the guess that at some point in his cars life, that the owner got sick of the rear tire carrier (which from having it, is completely understandable) and removed the swing away and installed the undercarriage style. So literally all he needed was the swing away and the covers.

-Kyle

• Like 1

I don't doubt that many got removed over time when they had trouble with the latches and the pull wire .

Mine stopped working about 3 years back , a 15 year lifespan ain't too bad though .

For less than $100.00 I got all the parts needed to make it basically brand new .

One thing with them though , is they're susceptible to practical jokers .

A few months back I and a buddy drove over to the local Cabelas , walking through the lot I spied a baby's pacifier on the ground and said to him "dude , you dropped your binky" .

I got the typical CT response of "Ah GFY" and we both chuckled .

Getting back in the truck , he stops at the rear and starts tinkering with something .

He's a real tin knocker so I never thought anything , he tells me that the rod that holds the swing away open was dangling and he put it back in and we drive away .

Weeks go by and we're talking on the phone , Mr. Tin Knocker laughs and says "did you ever see what I did to your truck ?" .

I go out and start looking , can't see anything after three/four roundyrounds , so I start brushing snow off the swing away and there it was....

He'd picked up that binky on the way out and slipped the rod through the handle , SOB had me driving around with a pacifier strapped to the back for 3 weeks ! :lmao:

Moral of the story , if you have a swing away , beware of binky's and practical jokers !

I have yet to get even but I will , revenge is sweet..... :ph33r:

Edited by Beatup96
  • Like 1

Yeah, i get guys sitting on mine all the time, bugs me but I've sat on the swing away fully open (Im 230lbs plus my 15" steele and 31" duratrac) Had NO problems, no creaks, no problems closing it. NOTHING. So i have no issue with them sitting on it.

Which makes me happy to know that Nissan over engineered the snot out of the swing away, but also make its impossible to retro fit.

-Kyle

I wasn't online for a while so I only got back to green180 a short while ago. You guys pretty much said what I would say. I did tell him that mine came with the swing out originally so it was easy for me, in this case though I would go with the bumper/tire carrier. Way easier.

• Like 1

Canada seems to got the swing out longer, i think there is a member on here who has a swing away that came from the factory with his updated model pathfinder, from what i can tell its a different carrier all together. For whatever reason, the US got the swing away's only in 1996, 1997 and i think 1998 was the last year it was available, but its primarily seen on 96's, at least from my experience.

But to answer the OP's original question of what is all needed, there really are not any diagrams from Nissan showing what parts are different, someone with FAST can probably get the screen shot of the diagram it has (need to get my copy working!!!)

All that i could find that shows much of the tire carrier is this diagram...

r50_570-1.gif

Not much help...

-Kyle

Ive seen two facelift R50 here in Miami with the swing outs.

But I think they are at the most 1999.5-2000.5 as they had the early side steps and no 3.5 badge. If there is no 3.5 badge for a 2001.5+ then it has the updated side steps and roof rails. That's what I have noticed so far.

Sent from my Moto X

I'm not sure yet if my sisters is an early or late '99 but it is on foreign (Canadian) soil. I just got a quick look at it at Christmas but it even had a rear cargo cover in it. 1st time I've seen one. I've always wondered what one looked like.

• Like 1

I was at the pull a part last week and compared R50's with and without tire carriers. It would be a very big and complex job to retrofit one. I like the idea but its not practical. Im going to try to fab up a rear tire holder and higher clearance hitch sometime. Slee used to make a product like this for 80 series land cruisers.

A factory spare carrier would be excellent for my application, but I guess they were removed as they make accessing the cargo in a busy supermarket parking lot rather cumbersome. :laugh: At least I can fit an upsized tire in the spot for my spare, and can put gas cans on the roof. :shrug: