Cold idle speed

aj503

Just curious about what the cold idle speed is supposed to be, i.e. right after startup until the fast idle cam is in position? Mine is steady at 2000 or so then dropping to about 900, which is close enough to the 800 that is should be for me when warm.

I was just going to post this as well, as my idle from a cold start is about 1750, which will go down to 1200 while in park after shes warmed up. I thought this was high :scratchhead: My truck takes forever to warm up though, even when its 80F outside. You guys in the cold must have one hell of a time getting your pathys warmed in the winter.

The second I throw it into drive, it will sit around 900-1100, cold or hot.

Behavior is very predictable and she drives like a dream.

It actually warms up quickly regardless of weather for me just a few minutes at idle or driving. Idle specs are different manual and autos as well.

I was just going to post this as well, as my idle from a cold start is about 1750, which will go down to 1200 while in park after shes warmed up. I thought this was high :scratchhead: My truck takes forever to warm up though, even when its 80F outside. You guys in the cold must have one hell of a time getting your pathys warmed in the winter.

The second I throw it into drive, it will sit around 900-1100, cold or hot.

Behavior is very predictable and she drives like a dream.

A little bit on the high side if it is that way consistantly regardless of temperature outside.

You might want to check your timing and see if it is correct as well as the vacuum hoses for any leaks or holes..

Edited by Alkorahil

A little bit on the high side if it is that way consistantly regardless of temperature outside.

You might want to check your timing and see if it is correct as well as the vacuum hoses for any leaks or holes..

I just got done fiddling with the timing, but I didnt play with the idle adjust screws. I inspected my vacuum lines and they appear fine, but theyre old and crumbly looking so I dont doubt there is a leak somewhere. Havent gotten around to that yet.

My timing is sitting at ~14 BTDC. Seems to run slightly smoother there than 12 or 15, but could just be in my head.

I just got done fiddling with the timing, but I didnt play with the idle adjust screws. I inspected my vacuum lines and they appear fine, but theyre old and crumbly looking so I dont doubt there is a leak somewhere. Havent gotten around to that yet.

My timing is sitting at ~14 BTDC. Seems to run slightly smoother there than 12 or 15, but could just be in my head.

14 is good.

Specs for the motor are 15 degrees +/- 2 degrees BTDC with vehicle transmission in neutral.