Transmission Drain Plug, Need uggestions....

ferrariowner123

Hello all

So after changing my transfer case fluid today, and recently changing both of my diff fluids not too long ago, i'm down the last thing left to change in terms of drive line, my transmission.

But i cannot for the life of me, get that plug to budge, even after buying the HF adapter kit that fit the drain plug PERFECTLY, it still wont move.

So i'm asking all of you, can i take either, a torch the transmission in hopes of getting the sucker lose or take my impact wrench to it?

Because right now, I've got a 1/2 inch extension sitting next to me and all i need is a welder to weld that extension to the drain plug and go at it.

So i'm open to suggestions, because my prying and yelling haven't worked, :laugh:

Thanks

-Kyle

The aluminum will NOT melt with a mapp(mps) gas torch. You are fine hitting it with a torch. Concentrate the tip of the flame in the center of the drain plug, just make sure you replace the fluid after and you will be fine. Done it at least 10 times on stubborn drain plugs.

X2 on heat, then impact gun.

I was able to get mine with a 1/2" breaker bar, but I literally had to lock my legs around a tire to get the leverage or I would just drag myself around on the garage floor.

Always remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, and when you reinstall the plugs , give them a couple of wraps of teflon tape. It will reduce the chance of a leak, you won't have to tighten it quite as much and you should have less trouble with it next time. ;)

B

Oh, sometimes bracing yourself and getting a foot on the handle of a breaker bar and pushing with your leg works as well.

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

I was able to get mine with a 1/2" breaker bar, but I literally had to lock my legs around a tire to get the leverage or I would just drag myself around on the garage floor.

Always remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, and when you reinstall the plugs , give them a couple of wraps of teflon tape. It will reduce the chance of a leak, you won't have to tighten it quite as much and you should have less trouble with it next time. ;)

B

Oh, sometimes bracing yourself and getting a foot on the handle of a breaker bar and pushing with your leg works as well.

I've had to do this with my transfer case drain on several occasions, even after reinstalling it myself and not getting crazy with it.

B

This is the path I would take first.

A long breaker bar with a long throw on it and some leg power.

Might want to get a new plug while you are at it.