Water pump noise

93pathyfiend

I rebuilt the motor in my 93 ex and after finishing the exhaust (was open headers) realized that there is a ticking/scraping at the crank pulley and it could be the water pump... I'm just wondering are you supposed to fill the coolant a special way to ensure your water pump works properly? I just got this truck together again and need to make sure it is sound. Is it possible for the thin metal plates behind the lower timing cover to be making noise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try confirming it's not actually the A/C tensioner pulley first. I had "weird pulley" noises coming from the front of the engine as well that slowly got worse, and the sound was transmitted throughout the brackets and engine so location was hard to pin down by ear. Was relieved to find out it was just the tensioner pulley.

My a/c is currently not installed( no belt or tensioner) I'm thinking it's either the lower timing gear, or the oil pump. I am going to pull the timing cover and check the belt, it sounds like it may be coming into contact with something... Also there are two ground straps( one on each side of the motor) that were originally attached to the exhaust manifolds but now that I have headers are just sitting there. Could this be causing an arc somewhere. It's not quite the same sound but similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk