Temp Gauge only goes 1/8 over C, RPM Gauge also still stuck

PitBullGirl23

So I just replaced the coolant sensor in my 1995 SE-V6 Pathfinder in hopes it would fix my temp gauge. My RPM gauge also sticks at around 3000 as soon as the vehicle is on. The new sensor is in, and it seems like it registers it being as when I disconnect it it says check engine. I am not sure if I have to clear codes or disconnect the battery before I install it, but any ideas would be helpful. I'm also replacing the thermostat. Could it be I need a new cluster? All my little fuses are good.

There is a temp sensor and a temp sensor. The sensor will not affect the guage if I recall correctly. Where was the one you replaced? Front of the block on the driver side behind the timing cover?

On the 95 there are two sensors in the upper coolant hose neck of the intake manifold, one is for the ECU it has a yellow connector and there is the one for the gauge which has a 1 pin spade style connector.

Your temp gauge only going up 1/8 of the way is more likely a thermostat issue.

It was the one in the front, right on top. Had a yellow connector. I'm going to try to replace the therm tomorrow. How hard can it be? O.o

This is what the coolant sensor looked like that I replaced, but it's grey.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/29305/01392.oap?year=1995&make=Nissan&model=Pathfinder&vi=1212006&ck=Search_coolant+temperature+sensor%21s%21sender_1212006_-1&keyword=coolant+temperature+sensor%21s%21sender

That sensor is for the ECU, won't affect the gauge at all. Are you sure there is even anything wrong, does it put out good heat? If it does I wouldn't worry about it. The gauge sensors almost never fail, at least I've never seen a report on here of one breaking. These gauges do tend to read low anyway.

It's like barely above the line though. It's way low. It does put out good heat, but the idle sounds high, and it never sounds like it's warmed up.

I had the exact problem, where the temp gauge reads low and higher than norm idle when cold. At first, replaced the temp sensor with no success. Replaced the thermostat seem to resolved the problem.

• Like 1

Replace the factory 170 degree (way too cold) thermostat with a 180 degree. I had the same problem, gunked up 170 was staying open just a crack with grit. Flushed the system and put in a 180 and haven't had a problem since and now my gauge reads 1/3 or just a little over. Much better heat and the truck idles nice and low. I think I got a slight mpg increase as well.

• Like 1

I also had low reading on my temp guage.

Tried to change the thermostate.

Then i discovered that the mechanical cooling fan thermo clutch was not working properly.

Since a new one cost a fortune over here, i converted to an electric fan.

Now the temp gets to normal when driving slow or idling.

But in winter and when in highway speed it still does not reach normal working temp.

The '94 and up gauge clusters suck. I remember back on the AC forum that others had problems with the speedo and tach. My tach (I have a '95 Hardbody) went out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So all of a sudden my RPMs work again, so new cluster it is. Now I just have a problem with the idle running rough in Park. Well, and it hogging gas more than normal. Any recommended cluster I should get? Maybe an older model Pathy? Like a 91 or so?

Edited by PitBullGirl23

Nope, you have to get one from a 94-95 with a rounded dash. You can always search for a speedo repair shop in your area. Though, they are a few and far between.

Sounds like you may have a air low meter acting up. There is a how to in the garage section on how to clean it. It's helped many members.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, you have to get one from a 94-95 with a rounded dash. You can always search for a speedo repair shop in your area. Though, they are a few and far between.

Sounds like you may have a air low meter acting up. There is a how to in the garage section on how to clean it. It's helped many members.

Air low meter? What is that?

Air Flow meter, also known as the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor). It is the aluminum gizmo mounted on the output side of the air box with the flex hose that goes to the engine. Sometimes the wiring connector.wires get funky, some times it needs a ground spliced in. Try just wiggling the connector when it is idling rough. If it clears up or changes, you know that is the culprit.

You can also check the ECU (engine control unit or Brain) for stored fault codes, sometimes it will tell you what is malfuctioning. There are proceedures for all of this in the Garage/How To section.

B

• Like 1