Transmission swap

vanuatoo

From what I've read, it's the exact same transmission, so yes, it'll work. If you can find one, a trans from an 01+ Pathy or Xterra will be stronger than the one from the '99, but either should work fine.

Advise your friend to flush the old fluid and gunk out of the trans lines, and replace the transmission cooler (abandon the one in the rad and run the lines to a new cooler). The stock trans likely spat out a bunch of gunk as it died, and it's best if that doesn't get into the replacement trans.

• Like 2

They will fit. I just put a 2002 Xterra (vg33) auto trans into my 1994 wd21 (vg30). Used the transfer case and everything. Bolted right up.

What about gear ratios and electronics? Do they match as well?

• Like 1

The harness plugged right in, and the gear ratios are so close that I don't even notice a difference...

Hello,

I have few questions please answer me

1. Рow long have you changed A/T from xterra 2002?

2. Did you change transfer box with A/T? from Xterra 2002?

3. Did you change control unit of A/T from Xterra 2002?

Xterra an Pathfinder has same A/T model RE4R01A

but transmission model code number is different XTERRA - Automatic transmission model RE4R01A

Transmission model code number 4EX01, 4FX06 or 4EX68, 4FX07 (4WD)
Pathfinder
Automatic transmission model RE4R01A
Transmission model code number 45X72 (4WD)
also difference is in gear ratio
Pathfinder -
1st - 3.027
2nd - 1.619
Xterra
1st - 2.785
2nd - 1.545
TOP and OD and Reverse is same!

difference of first gear is big i think the A/T control unit will shift to second gear quickly (IMHO)

if i need change only A/T without any electronic unit and any external units, wiring, plugs and transfer box (as i know box is same) - i will be very happy :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by NDREW

1. I did it near the end of december. It took me almost 3 weeks to do it because I have never done something like that before. It has been working since January with no problems.

2. I used the xterra transfer box, I changed the whole thing all in one piece...

3. I didn't use the xterra control unit. All I did was unplug the sub harness from my old transmission, and plug it into the new one, and then plug it into the main wiring harness. You will also need new rubber hose for the vent lines.

You must also use the Xterra torque converter.

The place that I got my transmission from ripped a couple of the plugs off of the harness which kind of pissed me off but you probably won't have that issue.

I knew the gear ratio were slightly different but honestly I don't notice it...It shifts very nicely and is better than fixing the old (wd21) transmission that reverse stopped working on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Adam would this work? And how much of a PITA is it to just swap out the trans (for a shop to do it) I certainly couldn't do it on my own without a lift haha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-02-Frontier-4WD-Automatic-Transmission-85k-OEM-LKQ-/310913405650?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXterra&hash=item4863e212d2&vxp=mtr

I have no idea how hard it is to just do the trans. I imagine any shop with half a brain could figure it out. I might do a half assed write up about my experience. The one in your link should work. Not sure if the frontier ones are hd but I imagine they are.

Edited by adamzan

• 1 year later...

I've got a chance to buy transmissions from 3.5 Pathfinders, I've found from 2002, 2003 and 2004. They're all RE4R01A, but the 03 & 04 code is 4EX75, and the 02 is different.

I am tempted to get the one from the 2004, but I'm still in doubt.

If the trans has more than 75k on it and no history of fluid change its not a bad idea to drop the valve body to clean it and service it (seals, HD Spring kit optional) BEFORE you install it.

Neglected transmissions can have a tendency of depositing all the leftover gunk in the wrong place (valve body) after new fluid is put in because the detergent in the new fluid sweeps it out of all the other areas until it finds a choke point (valve body). A flush will not clear this because the valve body not being actuated during the flush.

In factory manuals model is the same but they have different codes. That is my concern.

Yes the later one is an HD model externally its the same but internally has an upgraded valve body and beefed up clutches.
It is posted here (search) the exact upgrades nissan made to create the HD model

Does it have to be from a 01+ VQ35, 01+ VG33, or any of them?

MUST BE A RWD VG3X transmission!

Edited by MY1PATH

MUST BE A RWD VG3X transmission!

Oh

Those I've seen are from VQ35 Pathfinders. But all of them are RE4R01A too, 4x4.

I thought that we had 01+ Pathys with either VG33 or VQ35 in Brazil, but after doing some search, it looks like they're all VQ35.

Don't the 01+ Pathys are all VQ35 in USA also?

Oh

Those I've seen are from VQ35 Pathfinders. But all of them are RE4R01A too, 4x4.

I thought that we had 01+ Pathys with either VG33 or VQ35 in Brazil, but after doing some search, it looks like they're all VQ35.

Don't the 01+ Pathys are all VQ35 in USA also?

Just because it has the same transmission part code does not mean it has the same bell housing bolt pattern. And that is why I said it must come from a VG series motor.

If you want to try and bell swap one you can but there is no guarantee that will work either...

Edited by MY1PATH

Nope. No tries :-)

A tranny shop will do the work, I don't havê the equipamentos nor the knowledge for it. Since around here all VG33 Pathys are pre-01, and all XTerras are MT with a diesel 2.8 engine, I guess the best option for me is to keep my original transmission and bet in a careful rebuild.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just blow the seals in my trans to the point that it just drips out:( I know this is on the 90s pathy form but this is what I need. I have a vg30i engine and a 4n71b transmission. Can I put a 01/04 xterra transmission on it and make it a 4 speed not the 3 speed that I have. Or just rebuild the 3 speed and re install it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

Hello this is Nissan guy 44 new to this form still trying to figure out how to use it I have a question I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with a dead tranny there's one on eBay says it is a 2001 there above four wheel drive will this one work in my 95

Hello I know this is not a post but I am having the same issue I need to know if the transfer case off of another compatible transmission will bolt up cuz all I need is the transmission could anybody help

On 2/18/2014 at 3:23 PM, adamzan said:

The harness plugged right in, and the gear ratios are so close that I don't even notice a difference...

So I've read the whole tread and was wondering if anyone knows about parts(compatibility or swap) to turn a  non 4wd into stock format 4wd...sounds like I should be able to use any 4wd trans out of any pathfinder or xterra but besides that anyone know module swaps or other hiccups? Thanks in advanced 

• 1 year later...