Doorless Jeeps

mikestewart395

I opened my door to talk to the wife one time, I was in the mud and she was asking about a tree or something. My foot slipped off the clutch. 5 pounds of mud dripping down the panel lol. Not sure I would ever take a door off.

Hah! That's funny, you're right..I guess it looks cool but my son and I learned the hard way about having the windows open while mudding and getting stuck, and then unstuck..when you get lots of wheel spin while in reverse, everything come right in through the windows. We were covered in mud, there was mud all over the arm rest and door liner..from that point on we always have the windows up and the roof closed.

Glad it wasn't 5 pounds of mud on the wife! I just got a '96 Hardbody for around the farm and will probably take the doors off for the summer. I won't be in mud and it'll be better for quicker in's and out's plus easier vision of where the tires are.

Edited by kdj
  • Like 1

I never go mudding, and I rarely put my doors on. I do it for looks, the open air feeling, and visibility.

If I don't take them off, I can't see my rocker panels. I made the mistake of going with doors in Johnson Valley, and ended up beating my rocket panel on the driver side to a pulp.

Loved cruising in my 69 CJ5 doors off top off and windshield strapped down to the hood.

Back in the 60s when you passed another fourwheeler you'd give each other the high sign, then in the 70s it was just with your own brand, times change.

I drove mine around the yard once or twice with the door off (while doing the hinge pins), and I can see the appeal. Kind of an open-air thing. I don't think I'd be comfortable with it at 60 though!

That's when it's the best! I used to cruise on the freeway topless and doorless.

But I did drop a coke on the freeway when I tried to rest my arm on the non existent door once...

:shrug:

Loved cruising in my 69 CJ5 doors off top off and windshield strapped down to the hood.

Back in the 60s when you passed another fourwheeler you'd give each other the high sign, then in the 70s it was just with your own brand, times change.

Now the Jeep guy's give me dirty looks and the finger...

I purchased a 77' CJ5 from a friend last summer. I have spent a lot of time on it getting it ready for the wheeling/camping season this year. I can not get over how easy and cheap it is to find parts for this thing. It amazes me how addicting owning a Jeep can be. However, I do feel like I have the "Honda" of the off-road.

I always thought it was so you can be thrown clear when you roll it. :shrug:

JK

B

There are only two types of Jeep owners.

Those that have rolled their Jeep, and those that will.

Love the no doors on my step dad's CJ5.... when the weather is nice. Yes, it sucks major ass on the highway in the winter time. :lol:

Easy to jump in and out especially when there's no room to open a door!

Now the Jeep guy's give me dirty looks and the finger...

That's just because you aren't stopping to pull them out... :tongue:

I purchased a 77' CJ5 from a friend last summer. I have spent a lot of time on it getting it ready for the wheeling/camping season this year. I can not get over how easy and cheap it is to find parts for this thing. It amazes me how addicting owning a Jeep can be. However, I do feel like I have the "Honda" of the off-road.

Jeeps are great like that, automotive legos. A well set up Jeep is an impressive off road vehicle (I will not agree with on road for most of them), but the mistake with the 'Jeep Only' mentality is that they aren't the only capable option out there, and that in stock form most of them are nothing special at all.

Picture is too small, I can't tell what it is other than a fat bloke next to a Heep.

Guy Fieri. I believe the implication is that you'll never roll a Jeep that you just pose in front of, but I can say I have seen it on the road, driven by Guy's stund double. :shrug:

B

Picture is too small, I can't tell what it is other than a fat bloke next to a Heep.

As B said, the food network tool posing next to one. And he explained the point :lol:

(Just snagged the pic real quick with my phone so I couldn't tell the size, sorry)

Yep, If I was going to do it over again for 4x4 purposes then a Jeep would more likely be my choice just cause parts are so much cheaper and easier to come by. However, does seem they break more often. Not sure if that is driver related or just quality. Probably a bit of both.