problemo

Der_Vier

Alright folks. Been a while since I have shown my ugly head around hurrr. Pathfinder has been dead in the water for almost 3 weeks. It all started back in the beginning of January or so. Came home from church on sunday at about 130. Went out at about 630 or so that evening (maytbe 5) to go back. Turned truck on, went inside to get somethign and came back out. Truck no longer on. Go to start it again...cranks cranks cranks starts...idles..i rev it...it shudders and cuts off. Repeat process. I give up and get in land cruiser.
Did this for days after. So prolly 2 weeks later I get a fuel pump and stick it in (managed to spray some gasoline in the back too!) truck started after that, drove it around prolly 30 miles total. In this period I had shut it off about 2 or 3 times, and each time I went to start it it took longer and longer..I figured cos battery was maybe getting old or something.
2 days later, go out to run by hte dealer to snag a part (fitting isnt it?) and same thing...crank crank catch idle idle...die. Repeat process.
So, the fuel pump and filter has been replaced. I swapped the fuel pump relay with the one next to it as they are the same it appears and I get the same result. Am I corrrect in assuming that I am getting spark because it catches and starts, it just doesnt stay on?
Would liek to get this addressed soonish. Feedback is appriciated because I am over trhrowing money at it...

Does it run normaly when it does start? Sounds like you've taken care of the normal fuel stuff. So maybe something with the wiring or distributor?

It does sound like a fuel issue to me, but you have changed the fuel pump and filter, so maybe the pressure regulator is failing? You probably don't have the right gauges but it is a fairly simple thing for a mechanic to check...

B

When it starts...for the few seconds it is on it runs as if it were normal.
I contemplated the distributor and wires as they have I think about 30k on them or something. But when they needed replacement before it was a gradual thing, it didn't crap out all at once. Granted im a novice mostly so I may be wrong in thinking that it couldnt be it.
@ B im wondering if it is fuel pressure..thing is it is dead in the driveway and i really dont want to pay a shop to look at it, or use a tow from AAA if i dont have to. I like to save those for when im on the road. Just went out and tried to find the EGR valve thinking that may be it but hte chilton manual doesnt even have hte correct picture of my engine :doh:

The only time mine didn't start turned out to be a fuse for the fuel pump. It hadn't blown but one tab had rotted off and just tapping it would make the pump cut out. I'm not saying that's your problem but that with electrical stuff one small thing can shut you down. Checking through all your conections may turn up something. Good luck.

When my old Xterra Dist went it was the same symptoms all of a sudden, no warning. Would startup when cold (sometimes) run fine until I shutdown then would not start for again until it sat for a could of hours. Other times it would run for a few minutes then start to get rough and quit.

• 2 weeks later...

@ B im wondering if it is fuel pressure..thing is it is dead in the driveway and i really dont want to pay a shop to look at it, or use a tow from AAA if i dont have to. I like to save those for when im on the road. Just went out and tried to find the EGR valve thinking that may be it but hte chilton manual doesnt even have hte correct picture of my engine :doh:

You have to start diagnosing somewhere, just to rule things out. I always look for the cause before I buy parts... :shrug:

Have you checked the OBD2 for stored codes? If there is nothing there, I would get one of these and test the fuel pump/regulator pressures.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html#.UxYPYYVuEpc

Do you have a copy of the FSM? You can download it for free from the pinned thread in the Garage section. It has all the values, proceedures and an in depth diagnostic section in EC IIRC.

hmmm. Dist was done 30k ago. It doesnt even start now most the time, and when it does itll shut off after 2 or 3 seconds or when I give it gas. Literally ahve no idea.

A dizzy should last a lot longer than 30k. I've never replaced one in a Pathfinder and that is in vehicles with 106k, 137k, and 175k.

B

• 4 years later...

Thankfully no, it only took about a month.  Where I was living at the time the driveway was on a slight incline and I had the truck backed in, so it wasn't giving enough gas to start and run.  I put probably another 10-13k miles on it before trading it in.  I think it was traded in with just under 200k, so I had put roughly 70k miles on it in the 4.5 years I owned it and probably spend what seemed like $5,968,867.96 on gas. Those 4.5 years included the last year and a half of college, life after college driving to work, and delivering pizzas and then lots of weekend road trips.  Many many many memories in that vehicle which is probably why, 4 years later I still feel bad for letting it go, almost like a part of me is gone.  Sad to login to this forum and see so many who I vividly remember being active during my time in college when I got the pathfinder haven't logged in in years.

In hindsight, should've kept it and put on better tires and kept the engine maintained so as to avoid a blown HG and just drive drive drive, and buy stock in major oil corporations. 

Literally could've used the truck in the past year and a half as the transmission on one of our cars went out may of 2017 and we were one car'ing it for about three months, and we (me, wife and 2 young kids) now are down to one car and i've been driving my parents mini van as they have 3 vehicles. 
It's been great....not.  Could be worse though, my parents could not have an extra car for me to drive.  Always gotta find the silver lining, although I wouldn't mind finding a couple grand to pick up another vehicle. 

And that's all for the Friday morning philosophical wallowing.

Edited by Der_Vier
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

First login in a while.  
Still miss the days of my pathfinder, however a few months ago I picked up a 100 series land cruiser, as it has been my dream truck for a decade, even while I had the pathfinder. 
I also have a 2nd gen 4Runner waiting for an engine swap.  My son loves the toyotas so it is time for the new memories to be made.

Life goes on, and you cannot transpose the present into the past.