Weak Brakes

FindMe

Bleeding doing two man crew. One pumps and one bleeds.. we know how to bleed brakes. I'm at my wits end here.. another thing. My parking brake doesn't work. Was reading that parking brake adjusts drum brakes.

Seriously try a gravity bleed.

And probably 98% of Pathfinders don't have a working hand brake.

That must be why the local dealerships want 120 for each the left and right rear cables (drum version) and 205 for the lever (which is the only way to get the front cable) =) IM KIDDING!

How are you bleeding? I recommend a gravity bleed as the brake pumping on/off thing has given me mixed results across several vehicles. Gravity bleed has never failed me and usually gives you a firmer pedal, only downside is that it takes much longer.

Am I to assume that gravity bleeding just means to have all bleeder valves open and keep filling the master cylinder with fluid until it flows from all of the valves? Do you close each valve as it starts to flow? I suspect this cannot be done on the Pathfinder ABS unit?

Edited by MrEviLDeD

You do them one at a time just like a regular bleed, and it works on all five of the bleeders.

Set it up like you're about to bleed them normally, but instead of pumping the pedal, leave the bleeder open until the bubbles stop. Once you don't see bubbles, close the valve and move to the next in line.

• Like 1

^This. Worked for me a few times and is cheap/easy to try.

Bleeding doing two man crew. One pumps and one bleeds.. we know how to bleed brakes. I'm at my wits end here.. another thing. My parking brake doesn't work. Was reading that parking brake adjusts drum brakes.

I know a mechanic who says to just push on the brakes, do not pump because it can mix in bubbles.

Seriously try a gravity bleed.

And probably 98% of Pathfinders don't have a working hand brake.

You must have a very limited view of field!

B

Agreed on trying a gravity bleed. I had an issue after replacing a caliper where my brake and ABS lights were on, and I had NO pedal pressure. No amount of "standard" bleeding seemed to help. I ended up gravity bleeding in order, and the issue sorted itself out.

Mine almost holds it on a slope since I adjusted the cable. (Dunno if it just needs more adjustment or if 19 years of people driving off with it set have knackered the pads.) My brakes have been a little spongy since swapping the MC... I might give this gravity bleed thing a go.

Also, Kingman, you drove over a fence?

Gravity bleeding is extremely easy just be sure to watch the level of your master cylinder that it doesnt drop too low or the weight of the brake fluid will suck air into the lines.Also drain the fluid until it comes out clear. That dirty fluid has moisture and petrified rubber in it you can feel the grit.

Does gravity bleeding work for new wheel cylinders? I noticed that there was some dot-3 trickling out however it was pretty impossible to tell if there were or were not bubbles. I had an accomplice lightly press in the brake pedal until I saw no more bubbles, then let it leak out for a few moments. If I had no of pressured the brakes I would have never noticed it the air was gone or more. so I guess I did half-and-half :)

I've done a gravity bleed on empty calipers. It takes a whole lot longer for it to seem like it's doing something but, as long as you notice the level of fluid in the master cylinder is dropping, it is working.

OK got a chance to gravity bleed .. still no difference.. afterwards I bypassed proportioning valve and still no luck.. but not it seem I have bigger problems.. now for some strange reason I can't keep it running will only stay running sometimes when feathering throttle. From what I've been reading I could have a bad maf ground.. any suggestion would be appreciated