Glove box,,,,,

Whitebrick

Does anyone out there know a way with out breaking anything to get the freaking glove box open. it feels like the thing is locked but its really not. I never really used the lock for it. I dont ever slam it shut i always pull the handle when closing it. I really need to get it open so i can carry again.

ya i did. When you pull the latch its not touching anything. It feels like its locked. I have pulled, hit, everything but preyed on it do to making marks all over the thing. I didnt know if you could pull the screws off at the bottom and some how move it around to get the damn thing open.

the hinge screws are not accessible so the only way I can think is to get at the lock somehow. IF it's screwed up anyway, drill the damned thing out or rip it apart and get another form the junkyard.. If it were me, I would get in a pathy with the same glove box and fashion a tool or something that would reach in where I needed to pop the latch. hard to tell how to bend/cut/etc if you can't see the latch. Good luck.

I have had this happen to me. What I did was use a flathead screwdriver to jimmy the little plastic catch tab, just tick it in there and give it a tap and it'll open up. I did have to remove mine and figure out how to fix the latch, I've already passed this course I'll let you cheat off my paper if you need help :)

Your going to have to remove the latching mechanism completely from the glovebox, take it inside and sit down at your kitchen table to work on it. I know exactly what happened and basically how to fix it, I had to improvise as will you but it can be done.

I will for sure be taking it apart this weekend and seeing whats going on. i will just take my time this time.

k9sar if you find a gray one let me know i will for sure get it either way if i fix it or not. one of those better to have than not. just pm me on it if you come across one.

thanks again everyone.

if the release isn't working, it's because the catch in there broke. I was able to use a tiny little metal pin to push through the tab that moves up and down, all the way through the coils of the spring to where it catches and holds when you pull on it

I didnt have time this weekend to check it out....work got in the way.if thats all it is then i will have to do that and just find or make something to take the place of the gap that it now has. If its something as simple as that then i can find something at work for that.

• 4 weeks later...

similar thing happened to me when i got mine i didn't have any keys with a punched ignition and no title etc... i was cleaning it up one night and felt the need to get into the glove box as it may have held important docs (it didn't) but i used a flathead driver and just popped it open a little force but the damn thing was broken anyway. now i need a new glovebox because when i tried to fix the latch (the piece that holds it closed) i broke it even more and it went from being able to close and pop open with a driver to not closing at all.

in short just use a driver, scribe, or similar pick type tool and be careful about it.