Squealing balljoint more dangerous than loose balljoint?

maikan

I have a very loud squealing coming from my front left balljoint.

The mechanic said that i shouldn't drive with it until it is replaced.

Is it true that it is more dangerous, because it can seize and snap off, than a loose balljoint.

And before I search the forum for info about balljoint, can I do that in my driveway, or do I need to to pay a mechanic 300$ to take care of it.

You can do it in your driveway with hand tools. I have done them on an r50 before and it is actually fairly simple. You could probably still drive it just be careful...Do it yourself and save 300. If it were me I would do both sides at the same time, they usually fail around the same time.

That's where I would start. Ball joints can be greased as long as there is a grease zerk on top of the ball joint or in the center. If you decide to replace the ball joints, it's worthwhile to install these grease zerks before installation and for future lubrication maintenance.

Like I indicated, having the entire front end greased or having a 'chassis lube' performed would be where I'd start. Then you'll have a base line for maintenance records and future reference.