Rotors for 1996

theexbrit

I used the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors from Rockauto , I bought the kit that came with ceramic pads .

Not sure how they'd be with different pads , but my truck stops on a dime now , better than it ever did in stock form .

I did also put on new Cardone calipers at the same time , so I imagine that gave things a bit of extra "oomph" .

• Like 1

Let me know what you find, scary thing trying to slam the brakes on with steel wheels and 33's..... takes too long to stop!

I have Rock Crawlers with 32" STT's on mine and it stops great , I've put about 2,500 miles on them so far and it was money well spent .

Great pedal feel , doesn't take much to haul her down now .

Anti-lock still works fine , I tested it a few times on snowy roads .

I don't think my rear brakes have ever been touched , 150,000 give or take on them .

Edited by Beatup96
  • Like 1

You won't be disappointed with the Hawk pads. I've used them on my 89 the last 2 pad changes. My 3800 lb. Pathfinder stops nearly as good as a sports car. I'd go the extra step and have the rotors cryo treated. That will help insure the rotors will probably be the last set you install.

I've had the same set of cryo rotors on my truck for the last 6 years and it's a daily driver. Wear thickness isn't even close to being close to the wear tolerances suggested by the factory for replacement.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Did those new Powerstop rotors & Hawk pads make a difference or what!!!

An amazing difference in braking feel & power.

I found that water had got into one of the caliper carrier brackets & the piston thingy that moves in & out was seized. I'm just going to throw new rotors on it & do the wheel bearings at the same time.