93 tail light problems need help

mxrob

So I have a 93 se that I have had for about 6 mths . Recantly I was driving down the road and my dash lights flickerd and went out on me also I noticed that my tail lights are rather dim. What I have found is that there has been a problem with the tail lights before because in the fuse pannel I found that someone has jumped a 30A bracker in place of the fuse. Also the braker gets really hot . Has anyone had this problem before is this commen? Please any ideas would help.

Sounds like a bad ground possibly. Got back to the tail light and check how much voltage is at the power wire and at the ground wire for the tail lamp socket. You will need to do this with the lights on. If there is voltage on the ground side, something is wrong. Also, double check that the right bulb is installed and not damaged or anything.

Yea, the Volkswagen I had bought in B.C. had that problem that I was un-aware of. When the firefighters finally had the fire out they pointed out that the fuse box was hot-wired in just that way.

I would begin a grounding trace from the rear lights and go through to the front. Replace any sketchy wires on the way and look for un-attached grounding wires. Do the same from the headlights back to the panel.

Or give it to a mechanic and have them do it for you!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Yeah one thing I won't be doing is taking it to a mechanic!! I have found is under the column Cover I traced the taillight wire from light switch back to some kind of relay that I found melted wires. Is this some kind of relay for the stock alarm?

When I got my '95, I noticed that when I stepped on the brakes, the passenger side tail light functions normally (it brightens) but the driver side dims. The lights are normal when I'm not stepping on the brakes. I traced the problem to be a grounding issue on the lamp socket itself on the driver side. With a multimeter, it was clear that the socket ground wire isn't connected. To check quickly, I pulled the wire, stripped the end and inserted it between the insulator around the socket and the socket itself. The tail lights worked as they should! I then soldered the ground wire to the socket to secure the connection.