need new front end shocks

WD21colorado

my car is a 1995 Nissan pathfinder SE-v6 it has the electronic comfort setting. anyway it came time to replace the shocks on the front end. i got the replacement ones put in. and now a new problem has arise. the new shocks i put in are way to weak for the weight of the vehicle. i am bottoming out the suspension way to much now. i can go down the road and its a constant battle as im trying to keep the vehicle going straight. bumpy roads over here. i also readjusted the torsion bars. so I would like to know what are the best or the most compatible shocks i can put on my vehicle my spending limit is going to be about 80 dollars per shock. I need to find some shocks that can handle the weight of the vehicle. so can any of you guys give some recommendation. and i do go offroading almost twice a week. so i need to have some shocks that are good on the road and offroad. btw i do know that their probably going to be conventional shocks since it seems like no one sells after market electronic shocks that will work for the vehicle.

I don't think that there are more than one or two manufacturers of electrically controlled shocks. I have read that they cost in the $200- $250 each range here online. www.4x4parts.com has some Bilstein Heavy-duty shocks on their site for $66.78 to fit our trucks. They ship quickly and the prices are good. That being said the last time I rode Bilstein was on my Volkswagen Rabbit and I thought they improved the ride by adding about 20% more damping which I thought ideal for that car.

The torsion bars control the height and weight of the front of the truck, if they are adjusted to low the ride will be very soft, too high and the ride of course will get rough, you should not be bottoming out the suspension just by changing the shocks. What shocks did you have put in? I also would recommend Bilstein and they would be at the upper end in terms of quality and price Rancho 5000's are a decent shock also and would probably be less expensive compared to the Bilstein's.

Rockauto.com has rancho 5000's for about $47/48 (rear/front) 4x4parts slightly more at $48 each (front or rear)

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?searchType=global&N=0&Ntt=KYB+GR-2&submit=

That page above has the KYB Excel G / GR2 front and rear shocks for our vehicle and is what I'm currently in the middle of setting up now. I've just received my rear shocks that I bought from Auto Warehouse for 26 bucks a piece, normally they're around 40 or 50. The fronts are 30 each. Every review I've read for these is positive so I'm pretty excited about them. And yes, I'm going to use them offroad too, just like you. They'll meet or exceed OEM, well our vehicle left the factory as an offroad capable truck, so these will be as good if not better than the original.

If it weren't these, I'm pretty sure I was going to get the Doetsch Tech 3000 for around $38 each, which I still may eventually if I don't like these KYB's...but I've got a good feeling about them.

Edited by gv280z

I don't know why rockauto lists the shocks as "except with adjustable shock absorber". either shock installs the exact same way so if you had adjustable shocks and wanted to install regular aftermarket it shouldn't matter what the truck originally came with, right?

the ones i put on were the KYB GR-2/excel-g part number KY344430.

got them from auto part warehouse. so i think i will give the bilstein a try. and btw do any of you guys know how much a new torsion bar would cost. because the ones i have on the car are stock. the one on the right side i can only adjust so much or should i just put the torsion bar out readjust it manually by taking out the torsion chuck and turning it a couple of degrees and putting them back in. and if i do it that was do i need to get a tool for that?

Man...so that means I've a chance of the same thing happening to me, unless you just somehow got a bad set. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just go straight to the DT3000s. Every review I read about these said they were firmer than the original but not unpleasantly so, they were the Goldilocks shock..apparently. I guess I'm going to go ahead and install my rear shocks today and wait until I can buy the front ones, I'll let you know how the rears perform. #344045

Years ago when Rancho came out with the 3 way adjustable shocks they didn't have an application for the front of our trucks, they said there was not enough room, anyway Gabriel who also was made ( at that time) by the same company that made Rancho had a 3 way adjustable shock that did fit and it also came with urethane bushings (which the rancho did not), I have no idea if Gabriel still makes those shocks, think they were called Silver E or something, but I had them in my hardbody and they were good. If Gabriel still makes a comparable shock I would consider it.

Well I installed my rear KYB Excel G Black shocks today and so far so good, I like them at this point. They do have a firm ride but so far it's okay. I've got quite a few pics but in this post I'm only using two, as I'm going to have my own write up in separate post.

oldandnew_zpscd4efb8a.jpg

finished_zpsea8b169a.jpg

you can see in the pic above the coil spacers behind the shocks, I've already ripped those out, I didn't like them.

my Truck needs new shocks all around and i had Rancho 5000's on my last Pathy, i will be ordering them again. didn't know about 4x4parts last time, so i spent alot more. lol glad to get them at a great price this time!

so i was browesing 4wheelparts.com and saw some shocks that i would give a try. so here's the link.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/ES9000-Series-Shock-Absorber.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXP922500#ReadReview

anyway i was wondering if anyone has put procomp shocks onto their pathfinders. and if so how well did they perform.

Hey Colorado I just did a quick VS search trying to compare the ES9000 to some other shocks, and what I saw was they tend to be waay too stiff and some guys couldn't wait to get rid of them...but, it's all relative, you know? All the products we deal with really are all over the map when you're asking a large group of people. From tires A/T - M/T - Bogger / Swamper to different brands to Gas shocks and hydraulic shocks, Gabriel and Bilstein and Pro Comp, Rancho and on and on...you know what man...it's a freaking roll of the dice.

All you can do is study as hard as you can and then make an informed decision based on what your gut tells you and hope for the best. Personally, my instincts say to be wary of the Pro Comps but I know dirt squat dude, all I have to go on is what I've read about them, and so I decided on a different direction and so far it looks like it's going to work out for me and my experiences within my own little situation.

well i just ordered the rancho rs5000 instead. lets hope it makes a difference. i'll post about it once i get them and install them on the vehicle. I'll post my opinion on how well or crappy they work.

I used the same Rancho shocks you ordered, after I finished the lift last night, I hit a very badly potted road up here, the road is so bad that my 04 titan is uncomfortable to ride. But other than the IFS popping noise the pathfinder rode down the road very good, more comfortable and control than I thought it would have beings the truck is lighter and still needs the alignment done. So in my opinion the Rancho shocks work great.

Btw Colorado, you don't need any special tools to get the torsion bar out or to adjust them. Suspend your front end so tires are the off ground and support truck frame with stands for safety. Remove the adjustment bolt, the dust boot, and c clip from frame end. All you need is a 3/4 wrench and socket, plus a couple screw drivers to pop the c clip out. Then loosen up the three bolts up front, one 3/4 and two 1/2 nuts. You can now remove torsion bar. You don't need to loosen up front if re-indexing the bar. Hope that helps you out. Make sure to lube every thing before you put back together will make it easier to take out and adjust if needed..

I just ordered some Rancho 5000's for mine as well. they'll be here next week I guess. I also have a crazy popping/metal sound that happens sometimes when i go over pretty good bumps Nissanland do you know what makes your noise?

On mine the sway bar has new bushings and end links, I have checked those today actually just incase they were loose, the only thing I haven't checked/replaced are the tension rod bushings, but I did say I wasn't sure...

just got the new Rancho rs5000 in the mail today, just got done installing them. and the difference is night and day now. nice firm riding. doesn't bottom out anymore when going up our driveway (small sidewalk curb.) it handles the way i wanted it to handle so this is by far way better than the kyb's i put on. and i checked the kyb after i pulled them off. im not sure how fast they are suppost to go down but you can go from full travel to complete compression by hand in a few seconds. so I give the rancho RS5000 5 out of 5 stars.

Edited by WD21colorado

I'll try the same test when I get mine in. What color are your KYB's ? They sound way too soft if you can do that by hand in 2 or 3 seconds, how much force did you have to apply, like all your strength, half...the ones I installed in the rear for my truck are pretty firm, I'm just waiting for them to get broken in. Should the front's be firmer than the rear because of having the weight of the engine to support / control? If they are then my truck is going to ride like a tank once I'm done !

Edited by gv280z