Fender Flare Mod (With Pics)

Karmann

If some of you remember, one of the first things I did was take my front mudflaps off, to improve clearance etc. Well, what I didn't tell you was that shortly thereafter, I put them back on, as I thought it was rather dorky looking with just the rears on. A couple of weekends ago, with too much time on my hands, I decided to start a small project on my pathfinder- removing those rear molded-in mudflaps and yet retaining the original flare itself, as I'm not really a fan of the flareless look, and my paint was discolored underneath.

Anyway, through a process of hacking, sanding, bondoing, sanding, primering, sanding and then painting here's the result:

IMG_2298G_zps43d075fd.jpg

Matches the front

IMG_2299G_zps1a350393.jpg

From the rear

IMG_2301G_zpsaa09ec2c.jpg

Materials used:
DIY Bondo Kit

Duplicolor Color-Match Silver Mist Metallic paint

Duplicolor Clear Coat

Duplicolor Automotive Primer

600 and 100 grit sandpaper

Several hours

Hope you enjoy, it was a fun little mod, and I am so happy it makes it look factory.

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

Looks clean! Yours came with the 4WD badge or you swapped it out from the 3.5SE? Mine has 3.5SE on the back. And you have a roof rack but no wind deflector in the rear? Or did you remove it? Mine is an early 2001..So just wondering. You have a sunroof? Looks good though man! My flaps have been removed. I am thinking about slicing up my stock flares and modding them back on the truck. Maybe..?

Looks clean! Yours came with the 4WD badge or you swapped it out from the 3.5SE? Mine has 3.5SE on the back. And you have a roof rack but no wind deflector in the rear? Or did you remove it? Mine is an early 2001..So just wondering. You have a sunroof? Looks good though man! My flaps have been removed. I am thinking about slicing up my stock flares and modding them back on the truck. Maybe..?

Mine is an 02 SE, and as such the badge I removed only said "SE." Because that year the 3.5 was the only engine option, hence no need to badge. And yes, mine is part of the sport group SE package with that Xterra style rack, 6 spoke wheels, two tone interior, and no wind deflector. No sunroof (bummer). I added the 4wd badge off of a junkyard Isuzu. :)

PS- thanks for the compliments!

My 2001.5 came with 3.5L and SE badges. Guess they did away with that after the first year of the VQ35.

I think as soon as the 3.5 was the only engine choice, they stopped placing the dual badge on there.

Wait a second, i thought you painted your wheels? What gives?

Love the flaps though.

-Kyle

Yeah I did, and then I quietly peeled it off. :laugh: Since the plasti started to peel after one very mild off road trip, I didn't want anything that fragile and took it off. Next set of tires, maybe I'll powdercoat them gunmetal grey. :wub:

2001s never came with an option though. I'm guessing they just put it there to differentiate between 1999.5-2000 facelifted R50s and the 2001 with the VQ35 (and straight tailpipe vs. curved on VG33E models).

Possibly, or maybe to showcase the new motor? :laugh: Either way, it's about as random as the changes to the steering wheels throughout the years.

Yeah I did, and then I quietly peeled it off. :laugh: Since the plasti started to peel after one very mild off road trip, I didn't want anything that fragile and took it off. Next set of tires, maybe I'll powdercoat them gunmetal grey. :wub:

Really, it peeled off? How many coats did you do? I have had a decent amount of success with plasti dip, learned early on to go heavy. and so far, its held up very well on my fender flares, except when i spilled gasoline on them once, that takes plasti dip right off, lol

The only place i found that it doesn't work very well is anything you touch, your nails can leave very annoying scratches so i just recently peeled them off my handles.

But powder coating, now your talking something that is going to last!!

Cant wait to see that.

Really, it peeled off? How many coats did you do? I have had a decent amount of success with plasti dip, learned early on to go heavy. and so far, its held up very well on my fender flares, except when i spilled gasoline on them once, that takes plasti dip right off, lol

The only place i found that it doesn't work very well is anything you touch, your nails can leave very annoying scratches so i just recently peeled them off my handles.

But powder coating, now your talking something that is going to last!!

Cant wait to see that.

I did about 4 solid coats, but it's alright, I'm excited for getting them 'coated :) I still have my grille plastidipped, and I think it's the perfect application for it, just not wheels I guess.