Blast from the Past - Nissan C22 in JY

xterra

I came across this dodo in the JY last weekend while looking for parts for my Pathy. Anyone else remember the 1987-1990 Nissan Van (aka C22, aka POS)? They had a nasty habit of catching on fire. And despite having been in the yard since November, I couldn't find a single piece that had been puled from it.

C22.png

From Wikipedia:

"

The Nissan C22 was modified for the United States market to compete with the similar sized Toyota Van and Mitsubishi Van, and to join the growing minivan market in the USA. This van was sold as the "Nissan Van" in the USA from 1987 to 1990. Nissan had to engineer its larger 2.4 liter Z24i engine into the C22 in order to handle American requirements such as air conditioning. The C22 was not originally designed for such a large engine, and the resulting tight quarters would later contribute to overheating and engine fire issues.[citation needed]

In 1994, after four safety recalls did not end the engine fire problems, and with a class action lawsuit pending,[citation needed] Nissan took the unprecedented step of recalling every Nissan Van sold in the USA.[6] Van owners were offered blue book value or more for their van,[7] and most accepted, but a few opted to keep their vans.[8] The class-action settlement offered discounts on the purchase of a new Nissan vehicle.[9] Never before had an entire vehicle range been bought back by its maker. The vehicles which were recalled were crushed en masse"

From Wikipedia:

"

The Nissan C22 was modified for the United States market to compete with the similar sized Toyota Van and Mitsubishi Van, and to join the growing minivan market in the USA. This van was sold as the "Nissan Van" in the USA from 1987 to 1990. Nissan had to engineer its larger 2.4 liter Z24i engine into the C22 in order to handle American requirements such as air conditioning. The C22 was not originally designed for such a large engine, and the resulting tight quarters would later contribute to overheating and engine fire issues.[citation needed]

In 1994, after four safety recalls did not end the engine fire problems, and with a class action lawsuit pending,[citation needed] Nissan took the unprecedented step of recalling every Nissan Van sold in the USA.[6] Van owners were offered blue book value or more for their van,[7] and most accepted, but a few opted to keep their vans.[8] The class-action settlement offered discounts on the purchase of a new Nissan vehicle.[9] Never before had an entire vehicle range been bought back by its maker. The vehicles which were recalled were crushed en masse"

Wowzers! I had no idea.

That just means it's rare and will go for big money on Barrett-Jackson one day. Good investment :laugh:

Nah, they'll just get ripped off on one on Fast an Loud and try to sell it for 5x profit
  • Like 1