RC Crawlers

89Rotary

So i'm getting into these RC Crawlers, my uncles a Jeep guy and i have a buddy with a XJ RC. and they look like fun. so been thjinking about getting into them. revcently i found a "Trail Finder 2 T Finder" and its a Scale Crawler with a Pathfinder Body!! i'm excited to get one.... its just the 400$ investment up front thats stopping me lol.

anyone else have an RC Crawlers?

I used to race by buddy's old Traxxas RC. Loads of fun and they go fast. But thats not crawling. His brother has a Crawler that is super expensive, but was tons of fun. They don't got fast but they go everywhere. We built tipsy tracks and trails for it and this thing blasted through it. It was fun watching as he never let me use it. If you want to try it then you'll love it. If you like offroading, its just smaller.

I used to dabble a little in some toy grade r/c rock crawling and was pretty heavy into r/c generally. I've sold all my equipment and the two trucks I'd built, so not really into it anymore. It takes a lot of spending money...there is some neat stuff out there though, if I were you I'd start small with this toy crawler, and believe me this thing has a lot more capability than even the toys my friends and I were modding a few years ago: http://www.rcmania.com/maisto-rock-crawler-extreme/ I would start with that, experiment with different bodies and tires and stuff, and just see if you like crawling before going big. I love that website too btw, tons of great toy grade r/c reviews.

I run comp crawlers, an Axial 2.2s and a Losi 2.2pro. That T finder body is crap, half the body lines are missing so itlooks like an XJ with a Pathy grill. If you want a quick easy scale truck look at the Axial RTRs like the SCX10s or Wraiths.

Can't say as I have, but it sounds like an interesting topic. Got any pictures?

i've only found a few. like mentioned it doesn't look too detailed, but hey. its got the similar look to a wd21 so that makes me happy!

lg-842402-1-4534.jpg

201.jpg

lg-842402-0-3736.jpg

I used to race by buddy's old Traxxas RC. Loads of fun and they go fast. But thats not crawling. His brother has a Crawler that is super expensive, but was tons of fun. They don't got fast but they go everywhere. We built tipsy tracks and trails for it and this thing blasted through it. It was fun watching as he never let me use it. If you want to try it then you'll love it. If you like offroading, its just smaller.

yeah they are cool, i have a Drift RC right now. its got a 2013 Mustang Body on it right now. love that thing lol

I used to dabble a little in some toy grade r/c rock crawling and was pretty heavy into r/c generally. I've sold all my equipment and the two trucks I'd built, so not really into it anymore. It takes a lot of spending money...there is some neat stuff out there though, if I were you I'd start small with this toy crawler, and believe me this thing has a lot more capability than even the toys my friends and I were modding a few years ago: http://www.rcmania.com/maisto-rock-crawler-extreme/ I would start with that, experiment with different bodies and tires and stuff, and just see if you like crawling before going big. I love that website too btw, tons of great toy grade r/c reviews.

hmmmm thanks i'll check them out!

I run comp crawlers, an Axial 2.2s and a Losi 2.2pro. That T finder body is crap, half the body lines are missing so itlooks like an XJ with a Pathy grill. If you want a quick easy scale truck look at the Axial RTRs like the SCX10s or Wraiths.

lol i'm not to concerned about absolute detail, i just think its cool that i could have a pathfinder R/C car ^_^ lol. i've been trying to find 1/10 scale FC rx7 to drift with

lol i'm not to concerned about absolute detail, i just think its cool that i could have a pathfinder R/C car ^_^ lol. i've been trying to find 1/10 scale FC rx7 to drift with

Kyosho made a great looking Pathfinder r/c truck like 25 years ago, it was highly detailed..that thing would be a nice prize if you could put your hands on one. I'll see if I can find any links for it and see what Ebay has.

Well, here are a couple links for the nitro versions but it's just FYI, not for sale..atleast you can see what's out there as far as old school scale Pathfinder / Terrano models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-9-Kyosho-RV-Series-Nissan-Terrano-Pathfinder-with-CCVT-Transmission-/140999702038

Kyosho made a great looking Pathfinder r/c truck like 25 years ago, it was highly detailed..that thing would be a nice prize if you could put your hands on one. I'll see if I can find any links for it and see what Ebay has.

Kyosho is cool, but they are very detailed, but not very much "modding" or usage from them. lol (so says my Uncle)

No, it's 30 year old r/c tech, there is no modding. This was just meant to be a scale model / Shelf Queen. Tamiya has the most detailed offroad-able / crawler chassis with die-cast metal bodies with this series here: The CR-01 chassis with many different licensed metal bodies, Toyota FJ Landcruiser, Jeep, Unimog but I don't think there is any Pathfinder body.

Actually RC4WD (who makes the T Finder) has the most detailed scale stuff. The Tamiya stuff is pretty worthless functionally ( unless it is a Bruiser). The bodies are all plastic.

I still want one of the Kyosho bodies, I'd build the rest of the truck myself. I might scratch build my own body from styrene though, since I doubt I'll ever find a Kyosho.

No, it's 30 year old r/c tech, there is no modding. This was just meant to be a scale model / Shelf Queen. Tamiya has the most detailed offroad-able / crawler chassis with die-cast metal bodies with this series here: The CR-01 chassis with many different licensed metal bodies, Toyota FJ Landcruiser, Jeep, Unimog but I don't think there is any Pathfinder body.

I forgot to add the link!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58429

I just think that looks friggin awesome. Are there better crawlers to be had? Sure, of course, this is just one that I happened to know of, and thought interesting. Plus I love Tamiya products. This hobby is so wide open, there are a 1000 different ways it could go and it just comes down to one's particular taste, skill level and how much they want to spend.

Like I said above, the Axial stuff is about the "best" for many reasons. Their stuff is easy to work with, parts are easily available, as well as have a lot of aftermarket parts for them. My Axial crawler started life as a RTC Scorpion AX10, but the only original parts left are the rear axle, and it even has upgraded gears and drive axles.

If you want to have a good reliable scaler, buy an SCX10 RTR ( comes with all electronics), then buy the T Finder body by it's self and mount it.

I forgot to add the link!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58429

I just think that looks friggin awesome. Are there better crawlers to be had? Sure, of course, this is just one that I happened to know of, and thought interesting. Plus I love Tamiya products. This hobby is so wide open, there are a 1000 different ways it could go and it just comes down to one's particular taste, skill level and how much they want to spend.

Yeah they always look good! i'm just weird i guess. i could be considered a "Closet Wheeler" i've been doing SCCA, NASA, and Drifting my whole "racing" life. never got into lifted 4x4's and such, but everytime i drive my pathy all i can think about is finding somthing to try and get over. i'm liking the challenge. just don't tell my SCCA buddies... lmao

Like I said above, the Axial stuff is about the "best" for many reasons. Their stuff is easy to work with, parts are easily available, as well as have a lot of aftermarket parts for them. My Axial crawler started life as a RTC Scorpion AX10, but the only original parts left are the rear axle, and it even has upgraded gears and drive axles.

If you want to have a good reliable scaler, buy an SCX10 RTR ( comes with all electronics), then buy the T Finder body by it's self and mount it.

yeah, i'm looking at the SCX 10. found one here locally for 170$ so hopefully after payday i can pick it up ^_^

• 4 months later...