installing a steering wheel in a 1995 pathfinder ?

FUELER

Hey all,

I'd like to install a Grant GT steering wheel in a 1995 Pathfinder, but Grant GT says their adapter kit only works from 1987-1994

Does anybody know what the difference is between 90-94 and a 1995 steering wheel setup??

Has anybody installed a wheel in a 95?

Thanks!!

I checked the adapter using Momo Steering wheels and they list up to 93 as one part number and 94 and on as a different part number.

The grant adapter says except vehicles with steering wheel mounted cruise or radio controls, maybe that has something to do with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight!! I can see momo does -93 and then 94+, that throws me off even more :(

I am OK with eliminating cruise as it's broken anyways.

I'll just have to try and see what happens

ohhh, opportunity to steal this thread, I had a question about the steering wheel clock spring, My horn and my Cruise control buttons arnt working, my cruise control is lighting up on the switch, and I know my horn is making contact with the contacts behind the wheel, also I checked the fuses, no blown fuses, and i don't think the cruise control operaites under a relay?

My guess is the clock spring? what do you all think?

there is no clock spring on a 95.

Try turning the steering wheel to different positions and see if the horn works, also try pulling on the top of the st. wheel and try the horn.

Edited by ahardb0dy

When my horn quit it was because of gunk in the contact rings. Contacts touching doesn't mean electrical continuity if they've got 19 years of dust and old grease between them. I gave the contacts a half-assed clean and the horn started working again. Later the contacts started squeaking/grinding so I cleaned them better. I don't have a steering wheel puller so I just pulled off the clamshell and went at it with a paper towel and some spray (silicone IIRC) and they've been quiet and operational since. :)

To the original question, it doesn't help that the WD21/R50 changeover was '95/'96. The plug I got for my radio install said it was for 1995 but I suspect it was built for an R50, because it didn't fit, but a '94 plug went right in. It's not unlikely that the manufacturer has the wrong info. I doubt Grant sells a lot of wheels to owners of '95 Pathfinders.

you shouldn't need a steering wheel puller to get the st. wheel off, I have never had to use one on any Nissan. I will loosen the nut holding the st. wheel on BUT DO NOT REMOVE IT !!!!, than grabbing the St. wheel at the 9 & 3 positions, pull towards you and wiggle it slightly and it should come right off, leaving the nut on prevents the wheel from coming off and hitting you in the face !!!

I forgot I also cleaned all the copper gunk off the contacts and rings on the back of the St. wheel and used new dielectric grease on the pins but it did not help.

• Like 1

you shouldn't need a steering wheel puller to get the st. wheel off, I have never had to use one on any Nissan. I will loosen the nut holding the st. wheel on BUT DO NOT REMOVE IT !!!!, than grabbing the St. wheel at the 9 & 3 positions, pull towards you and wiggle it slightly and it should come right off, leaving the nut on prevents the wheel from coming off and hitting you in the face !!!

I forgot I also cleaned all the copper gunk off the contacts and rings on the back of the St. wheel and used new dielectric grease on the pins but it did not help.

This.... I did this with my honda.. :lmao: Only hurt for a little while.

Does a 95 have an air bag? That is usually why the manufacturer will claim it won't fit. They can't tell you it's ok to remove a safety function.

As for yanking the wheel off without a puller, we are not all 6 foot 10 and built like the monster under our bed!

James

Nissan steering wheels do actually come off quite easily without a puller. Like was mentioned I just thread off the nut until the outside surface of the nut matches the outside surface of the stud and wiggle and pull a bit and it should pop right off. I've never had to exert myself to get them off, it is a valid trick to get em off quick and easy. :)

Well now I feel like a weakling, I was beating on mine from every possible angle like a pissed off toddler and all I managed to do was engage the steering lock. :rolleyes:

You don't want to turn the wheel just pull on it and wiggle, remember to leave the nut on.

I use spring compressors when needed and jack stands too !

Not 6'10 either lol

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 2 months later...

ohhh, opportunity to steal this thread, I had a question about the steering wheel clock spring, My horn and my Cruise control buttons arnt working, my cruise control is lighting up on the switch, and I know my horn is making contact with the contacts behind the wheel, also I checked the fuses, no blown fuses, and i don't think the cruise control operaites under a relay?

My guess is the clock spring? what do you all think?

My cruise and horn didn't work until I put the top AND bottom of the plastic shroud around the steering wheel even though they are kinda messed up i think they allow something to make contact... My horn button/ centerpiece keeps coming off I want a new steering wheel bad but I want cruise control too!