The "Big Move"

SUPERPOLLO

I want to tell you someting...

I'm from Barcelona (Spain), next month I am going to move to live permanently to New Mexico USA. I have my family there, and everybody is awaiting for me. So, I've started to prepare the move, the "big move". A month ago I put my clothes and personal belongings in boxes... but then ... I had a feeling...

I thought: "my car, my Nissan, my nice Pathy-Terrano". What am I going to do?"...

I walked to the garage, and looked at it, and thought: I can not live without it, I can not let it down, not without my Pathy¡

No matter how old it is, no matter how many miles/kms, no matter anything, after so many adventures toghether. I could never imagine how much I love that car.

Then,I've started to work hard to find the way. It's not going to be that easy, but it is worth.

Everybody claims: "what are you doing? just forget it, an old car"... but for me, it is something else, it is a part of me.

I'll be posting about the move, the "big move". Know what? after so much wheeling, our hardest trip will be by ship¡¡¡

I hope you can understand me... if you want to listen / read to me. Thanks. :happy:

Diesel Pathfinders get imported from Japan and Canada, so I'm certain it can't be too hard. I'm sorry, I have never dealt with the process so I can't give you any advice, other than be patient and persistent.

I understand where you are coming from though, I would have a hard time leaving my Pathfinder behind as well...

:beer:

B

• Like 1

I am sure smog regs in New Mexico are nothing like they are here in Commiefornia where it would be costly to bring it up to our requirements but you may have some safety issues that are not required in Spain.

Do your homework, as much as you love your Terrano it might make more sense to pick up a Pathy here...

Welcome to the states! I own some land in New Mexico close to Taos but haven't been there in years....

Thanks guys¡ Nice to know there's someone right there...

Ok, that's right, It's a hard work, certainly, need to be persistent. First off I made sure the car can enter the USA, my family in NM went to ask for the federal register, they said the car is ok, even a few have been sold. I have proove in the NHTSA. That seems easy but...

...but now, I start to work, by the way always appear difficulties...

I need to do de-registration of the car the in Barcelona, a few days before shipping¡¡¡ Once I've got the papers of de-registration, the shipping company comes to pick up the car with a tow truck... ever after a few days, couse they need to recieve the papers and check everything is ok. My problem: once I do de-registration the car can not stay or wheel in the public roads, not even one day just waiting for the tow truck, it's a risk. I don't live in a house with a big yard, in a city like Barcelona I have to leave the car in a underground public garage, the tow truck can not fit there inside, the gates are small... I need somebody to help¡ :blink:

I'll go talk right now to the manager of the garage to see if they offer me something... :sly:

So, that's gonna be harder than I though, paperwork, logistics...soon I will bring you news¡

Hello everybody...

Starting Point: I have to move the car to other garage with largest gates. They've assured me that the tow truck fits there inside. So I went yesterday... and.... I think the gates there are also small.

Can somebody explain me how will fit in there?, even more, after go outside the tow truck with the car up? ... :scratchhead: Look at that pics, look at that small car coming inside...

They are going to crash my Pathy on the roof¡¡¡ I asked about to the manager of the garage, he said "don't you worry, they have it by the hand¡¡¡"... :wtf:

016dd160-524e-4eff-b60b-644cef16f79e_zps2d236c35-e47f-41d9-9311-93365535c8b3_zps5a86d1b9-8002-4c53-9404-3d7c8a4c08ef_zps

Doesn't look too low, but it depends on the truck. If necessary I'm sure they could tow or push it out the door and then bring it onto the truck. They've probably gotten bigger rigs out of tighter places, if they ever tow no starts/breakdowns.

If it comes down to an inch or so you could always let some air out of the tires!

Thanks everybody¡¡¡ Happy to see your support and interest, really, that comforts me ... :itsallgood:

Ok, that's right, the most easy was to drive out of the street and then put it on the tow truck, but it's a risk I can not assume, becouse I have obligation to de-register the car before, and the risk is too much in a big city like Barcelona. Police can take it and put direct to the trash yard.

The shipping company took me out of the head the idea. I am not a car dealer with a big warehouse, I don't live in a house with a big yard, so they told me to do it this way. I think I have to trust in the "hability" of the driver...

That's it: at first seems easy, but after... difficulties appear, and multiply¡

Tomorrow I have to talk to the shipping company again, to tell them the Pathy is already in the "right place". And then what's the next "difficulty"... (I have chills only to think about)

Thanks for all your support, I consider all your opinions and suggestions... :lmao:

I heard my name!

1st welcome to NPORA and eventually here to the USofA bud :beer:

2nd on the "drive it to the gate" option, being ignorant to the ways of Barcelona I will use a local to me way of looking at it. An unregistered vechile on the street is asking to get towed by the police to an impound lot. Now the parking garage sounds to be a private owned structure so with permission of the owner/manager moving around with no registration a non-legal matter.

Now for the towing it out of the garage situation. From experience having towed many no starts/inoperables out of parking complexes, a flatbedtiltbed truck is NOT going to happen. A wheel lift truck CAN though, just keep the wheel lift low to the ground so the tires are bairly off the ground and SAFETY STRAPS!!! (And don't let them touch it with a sling setup, factory wd21 bumpers are basically cosmetic appendages to begin with, a sling will pretzel the marker light mount bar unless the driver is good with wood-and not like that people who know me :lol: )

If I understand you correctly, once you De-register your pathy, it's not legal to be driven on the road, correct? If I were there, in your place, with my vehicle just waiting in the underground parking garage until the day the tow truck comes, just wait for the day to come then once the tow truck arrives, like someone else said above, just drive it out to meet them in an adjacent parking lot in a safe area away from the street, where you can supervise the handling of your truck. If any authority happen to drive by and question you, show them your paperwork, you are shipping your vehicle, you followed the designated laws set in place by the Jurisdiction of Spain, you do have the supporting documentation / paperwork to show that you don't intend on driving the vehicle and obviously, the tow truck is right here..it's getting loaded up..so, I think you'll be okay.

Here in the states occasionally at one time or another everyone has driven with out of date registration and inspection sticker, like 3 or 4 months old....it's kinda the same thing I'd guess.

in your pic of the car entering the garage y cant the towtruck/flatbed back up to there (outside of the garage)and then you pull your pathfinder on to the truck if its owned by one person and not the city and since you have ok to leave it the till pick up.Why would it be illegal to pull it in on the entrance/ drive way as that would still be considered the owners property ? if you did that the height wouldent matter as you would be outside an its not on the street so you wouldent be able to be towed

Hi / Hola :lmao:

Thanks everybodyyyyy¡¡¡¡¡ nice to know there's someone... :aok:

You are all right, differerent , but you all make me think right, couse I've lost objectivity. If someone asked me about it, surely I would answer similar, as you to me.

I've talked today with my agent of the shipping company, and difficult number TWO: THE GAS TANK, now, the gas tank...... has to be empty before the tow truck comes.... (AAAaaarrrggghhhhh). I thought was necessary to do it before shipping (of course), but I thought they would do. I have no problem with that, I know how, but that makes more difficult the driving out of the gates if necessary.

Looks like shipping companys move cars only for car dealers, with a big warehouse, but when you want to move your own car by yourself... that's another story.

Know what? I have appointment with the register office next friday 10 th. January. And after, the tow truck comes 22 th. January. Now I start to feel the pressure and nerves, I/we 've started the COUNTDOWN ¡¡¡ :bounce:

Thanks everybody, please let me know, what do you think... It's going to be a hard work, the "Big Move" has just begun, but I think it's worth, don't you?...

Hasta luego¡¡¡

If I understand you correctly, once you De-register your pathy, it's not legal to be driven on the road, correct? If I were there, in your place, with my vehicle just waiting in the underground parking garage until the day the tow truck comes, just wait for the day to come then once the tow truck arrives, like someone else said above, just drive it out to meet them in an adjacent parking lot in a safe area away from the street, where you can supervise the handling of your truck. If any authority happen to drive by and question you, show them your paperwork, you are shipping your vehicle, you followed the designated laws set in place by the Jurisdiction of Spain, you do have the supporting documentation / paperwork to show that you don't intend on driving the vehicle and obviously, the tow truck is right here..it's getting loaded up..so, I think you'll be okay.

Here in the states occasionally at one time or another everyone has driven with out of date registration and inspection sticker, like 3 or 4 months old....it's kinda the same thing I'd guess.

My Pathy's registration expired several months ago. Forgot to renew it then came the government furloughs and then Christmas. Once I get the funds it will get re-registered. haven't been driving it though...too much :tongue: .

Hopefully you don't hit too many snags bringing the Pathy over. I know vehicles over 25 years old are pretty easy...and it's almost there. I've heard it can be pretty tough to bring vehicles over that are under 25.

I'VE GOT THE PAPERS¡¡¡¡¡ :lmao:

OOUUUUUuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh¡¡¡¡ The countdown just started¡

Just today I've got the papers from the Register in Barcelona, I needed to de-register the car for export to the USA. They've noted in the official document the country where the car is traveling (USA), if I go there to pick it up, if the car is paid off, if there's outstanding penalties, sanctions, ...and ...

... and also requires a criminal history certificate ¡¡¡ :wtf: I thought that was only necessary for me, when I tramited my resident visa, the embassy asked me for the police certificate, but the car also needs¡?¡?¡ :blink:
Ok, sorry, should not complain, If it's necessary, that's it. I got crazy all day in the office, but now it's done yeeaaaaaaaahhhh¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ :itsallgood:

Now, I have to empty the gas tank, becouse next date, 22 January the tow truck comes to pick it up¡¡¡

Thank you everybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for listen/read/follow....

Good to hear it's moving along!

... and also requires a criminal history certificate ¡¡¡ :wtf: I thought that was only necessary for me, when I tramited my resident visa, the embassy asked me for the police certificate, but the car also needs¡?¡?¡ :blink:

"Terrano, have you, uh, ever been arrested?"

Sorry I seen this late or I could have helped. My Pathy was an Airborne Base running vehicle it a past life. It has been to Germany twice and to Italy. It's not too bad moving the vehicle around once you know what to do. Glad to see you have it in motion.