not to brag but....

bushnut

I just checked my thermometers memory and it hasn't gotten below -30.5 C since the New year when I reset it. But then there is the wind chill. I've never used my block heater and the truck still start fine every time. It takes about 4 or 5 miles before the tranny will shift to overdrive(AT). But it is blowing hot air after about 3 miles. I've never let it sit and warm up...start and GO! The dog and me go out every morn. for a 1/2 to an hour hike in the woods. After all we are Canadian so we just tuff it out 'till the 'skeeters get here.

Edited by kdj

I thought the same when I drove mine to Michigan, in the U.P.My Pathy is mostly in Florida, soaking up the sun. I drove up north to see my daughter for Christmas, took me 21 hours to drive. When I left home it was 87 degrees. When I stopped the next day it was 0. That's zeroooooooo. Woke the next morning , it was covered in snow. Turned the key.....vrooommm....Never hesitated. I love this truck

• Like 1

+1 on the reliability factor.

Just the other week, after 19 years of ownership, my Pathy gave me its first 'check engine' light.

But here's the weird thing about it:

It's been starting and running just fine throughout this brutal winter, with many below zero days where I live.

The check engine light came on after I parked it in a heated garage for an hour while running errands. Fired it up and got an immediate rough idle and check engine light, then after 2-3 minutes the idle returned to normal and the light went out.

Drove it again for a week or so in the cold with no problems. Parked in the same heated garage for an hour or so and got the same rough idle on startup, check engine light. After 2-3 minutes, all goes back to normal. And no problems since.

So I guess my old truck likes -10 below more than a 60-degree garage.

Head scratcher, to me.

Maybe condensation from the sudden change from bitter cold to warmth built up on a sensor or something.

My other car gave me a 'stop engine immediately' death warning once on a bitter cold startup. Took it to the shop and they found nothing wrong with it.

Been driving it without a problem for two years since then.

Mechanics told me the same thing, that condensation on a sensor can make it think something horrible has happened.

Thermal expansion in connectors as well. I'd go about jiggling some wires/connectors to try to chase it down. I know my TPS in my '95 will act up every blue moon, I know exactly what it is when it happens...

B

Worst thing that's happened to me (other than the wiper freezing to the windshield and destroying the ball joint on the wiper arm pivot) is the fuel lines off the tank shrank and began leaking.. That was at -35, and hasn't happened since, but I did pickup extra fuel line to replace them once it's above zero again.. Other than that it starts and drives just fine, no matter the cold.. I always use agm batteries and have never needed a jump. Using the transmission trick to let the fluid warm up with the engine was truly a revelation and I haven't had a hard shift since. Now I just have to slowly start replacing all the 20 year old plastic parts that are breaking.. Like the door handles. :)

Turns out the starter problem I had last month was due to an excess of oil built up after a few oil changes drained onto it.. Will probably do a relocation this summer to eliminate that issue..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by madhakish

• 1 month later...

if we didn't like the cold i suppose we'd move...to like florida.

I figure it makes us tough...like WAY MORE TOUGH than like even Chuck Norris...oh crap I'm starting to sound like a teenager, the cold must be freezing my brain....everyone idle your cars to help global warming now!