not to brag but....

bushnut

at this temperature it takes about 20min to reach operating temp at idle. the transmission doesn't warm up for another 10, and the rolling resistance of the tires is increased by probably 50%. the oil in the shocks feels frozen the diffs and brake fluids are as thick as molasses.

I have to drive about 30minutes before the truck begins to feel like it's working properly.

In summer I get about 200-250km on half a tank of gas, now between idle time (warming up) and the increased drag of everything being frozen I can half that.

sure beats riding my bike though. I did that 365 days a year for 7years.

woke up to -36"C (-45*C with windchill) the Pathy wasn't plugged in but the starter turned over about 3 times and then it caught. man this truck is awesome!

time for a engine block heater !

I'm guessing he meant that his block warmer wasn't plugged in.

at this temperature it takes about 20min to reach operating temp at idle. the transmission doesn't warm up for another 10, and the rolling resistance of the tires is increased by probably 50%. the oil in the shocks feels frozen the diffs and brake fluids are as thick as molasses.

I have to drive about 30minutes before the truck begins to feel like it's working properly.

In summer I get about 200-250km on half a tank of gas, now between idle time (warming up) and the increased drag of everything being frozen I can half that.

sure beats riding my bike though. I did that 365 days a year for 7years.

I don't know whether to be amazed by your fortitude or concerned by your insanity. :shrug:

B

• Like 3

ya, every once and a while winter starts to get me down...but then I go camping! I'm doing a 3 day snowshoe trip through the lake country on the border of Manitoba and Ontario with a few other guys. should be fun, though I do hope it warms up a little -15 to -20 would be OK. -36 is brutal.

ya, every once and a while winter starts to get me down...but then I go camping! I'm doing a 3 day snowshoe trip through the lake country on the border of Manitoba and Ontario with a few other guys. should be fun, though I do hope it warms up a little -15 to -20 would be OK. -36 is brutal.

You, Sir, are insane. I don't even want to be outside when it's around freezing...let alone camping in minus temperatures.

Whiteshell area? Being from NWO myself and moving out west 11 years ago, I sure can appreciate the beauty in that part of the country. Sounds like fun trip. -36 is pretty bad. Makes you re-think your living situation. Then it warms up and you forget all about it until next winter.

Edited by pathybuilder

FYI

According to the Curiosity Rover, Mars reached a maximum temperature of -29 C on Tuesday, a temperature Winnipeg only reached shortly before 3 p.m.

The deep freeze over much of Southern Manitoba prompted extreme wind chill warnings in the area and most of the north.

In Winnipeg, the daytime high temperature for Tuesday was only expected to reach –31 C, but the windchill made it feel more like –40 to –50. That means exposed skin can freeze in less than five minutes.

On Monday, it got as warm as –28 C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-deep-freeze-as-cold-as-uninhabited-planet-1.2479967

If you live in in Winterpeg, you might as well be on Mars, perhaps in more way than one... ;)

B

Woke up to this:
1526841_10202978448443718_761741301_n.jp

Pathy started right up and we went snowboarding. However. The gas-lines at the pump started leaking and the passenger door handle broke off.. So -23 has it's +'s and -'s..

-33 degrees F... F that! I can't imagine living there... :shrug:

So when you start up that cold, do you get oil flow and pressure right away?

B

I run full syn and the engine oil light comes on for maybe 2-3 seconds and then the motor purrs right up.. Letting the clutch out on the other hand (even in neutral) kills it, and the total lack of mtf viscosity is enough to pull the truck forward in neutral if you rev the engine to prevent it from dying. I usually have to rev and slowly let the clutch out after the engine has about 10-20 seconds of run time. It is nearly impossible to move the shifter and the steering is very stiff. After maybe 1-2 min I have a normal but strong idle and the tranny fluid is loose enough to slowly shift into gear with quite a bit of effort. 2-300 yards of driving gets everything moving and shifting, steering, etc. all come to life.

That said, my door handle broke off right off the other day, my gas lines started leaking at the pump above the tank, gauges act funny until their warm, the washer fluid freezes to the windshield unless you get the special -50 stuff, my gas tank door hinge stopped working, the washer fluid pump motor blows the fluid line right off regularly because it's now frozen hard plastic instead of soft rubber, and the heat barely keeps up without a box wedged in front of the radiator.. So there's that.

Damn! I have experienced some of that with my M/T pathy, but certainly not to that degree! I have a couple of recommendations though...

Consider Redline MT-90 synthetic tranny fluid and over filling with 5.1 liters (there is a TSP for it), that should help with the tranny/shifter.

Put a small clamp on the fluid line.

Zip tie a piece of cardboard behind the grill, covering 1/4 to 1/2 of the radiator. Watch the temp gauge to see what it wants...

Other than some little stuff, it sounds like the typical trooper of a Pathfinder. :aok:

And just for the record, no thank you, you can keep that kind of weather!

I worked for a division of 3M out here and had visitors often. We always heard about how beautiful the fall was in Minnesota... I'd ask them what they did the other 9 months. :D

B