1989 Nissan Pathfinder dies- Intermittent

bushmangreg

89 Nissan pathfinder, 4wd, v6, carbonator, auto transmission. It has an intermittent problem with stalling while driving down the road. When it occurs, after it sits for a few to 15 minutes, it will start up and run, but will only rev up to a little over 3000 rpms. It tries to go over 3000-31000 rpms, but then it immediately cuts out and drops below 3000 rpms and then tries again. If I let it set for awhile without running, this issue will also go away and it runs fine. Then it can run fine for a day or even longer before it does it again. It sounds like it might be thermal related. I don't have much money to put into parts, due to being unemployed. I was wondering if someone might know the most likely part that would cause this or if this is something common that you have seen. Thanks.

I'd check the electrical connections, especially the coolant temp sensor and the mass air sensor plugs, for looseness/corrosion. Is the check engine light on? Try reading the codes (there's a how to on here, no code reader required) to see if the computer has any idea what's wrong.