Gasoline smell

smokersteve

I've got a 1993 SE that has a gasoline smell when I start it up. It's fairly strong but doesn't stay around. It only smells when I first start it up.

It started after a shop adjusted the idle. I don't want to take it back to them because they were dishonest and did poor work. Any suggestions to what it could be.

I think it's kind of funny that I too just started noticing the this too on cold start up but it goes away. I haven't had time to investigate it yet. I'm not too worried about it. I'll dig more into when I get sometime.

I think it's kind of funny that I too just started noticing the this too on cold start up but it goes away. I haven't had time to investigate it yet. I'm not too worried about it. I'll dig more into when I get sometime.

I'd make time and be concerned, it is gasoline leaking. ;)

B

^^This. Speaking as someone who had a car that smelled of gas for a few days. The problem went away after the engine caught fire and the car burned to the ground. Had the same problem with my Pathy - same issue. Tightened the hose clamps and fixed it. Will be replacing the hose soon too, just for good measure.

Edited by ThaBigPerm

mine has had a small leak for many years but only when cold. anyone know what the ID and OD of the fuel hose is so I can pick up a piece and swap mine the next time I have the intake off (to replace a collapsed lifter on the drivers side)?

mines had the same problem for the past few years. Only when cold and when it's cold outside. Don't notice it when the temps are warmer. How much of a pain is it to replace? I remember that hose from when I did my timing belt. Isn't it under the intake?

I replaced my piece of hose without removing or loosening either side of the fuel rail, just a bit of ingenuity and patience is involved. Performed the whole process with a Phillips screwdriver and a razor knife.....Ooops! throw a pair of curved needle nose pliers in that mix too.

Edited by SkiBumBrian

I just went through this on my 92 - used 5/16 hose. I also replaced mine without loosening the fuel rail. I just slid the new hose down enough so I could feed it on the other side without bending/crimping the hose. It will be pretty obvious once you cut the old hose off. My problem was that I used replacement clamps that were too big. A good long set of needle nose pliers will do the trick.

Yep, any rubber or nitrile hose that needs to be manuevered into place. Put it in a bucket of hot water, an oven set at 150 degrees or even just leaving it in the sun for a bit

^^This. Speaking as someone who had a car that smelled of gas for a few days. The problem went away after the engine caught fire and the car burned to the ground. Had the same problem with my Pathy - same issue. Tightened the hose clamps and fixed it. Will be replacing the hose soon too, just for good measure.

Nicely said, and I'm sorry that happened. I've had an engine fire also, but managed to save the car. I take gas leaks seriously... :shrug:

B

I had an old F150 many years ago. The carb started leaking and caught fire. Saved the truck but could never get rid of all the crap on the motor from the fire extinguisher. Gonna try to replace the hose this weekend but gotta go out of town. Hopefully I will have time.

I took the time to look at my Pathfinder today. It seems like we all have the same problem. The connecting hose in between the fuel rails were the issue. It wasn't leaking but it looked damp.

I took the time to look at my Pathfinder today. It seems like we all have the same problem. The connecting hose in between the fuel rails were the issue. It wasn't leaking but it looked damp.

Remember gasoline evaporates - if it was "Damp" its leaking.... I seem to have to tighten mine once a winter but then it doesn't give me any more trouble...