Crank Timing Mark Off

bakon

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum but not new to Datsuns, mostly owend some 510's, and the older type. :)

Anyways my quick questoin is, I got this 95 Pathy and I am doing the timing belt on. The problem I run into is, the car ran fine right before I started the timing belt, except it was pretty rich.

So as I get all the parts off and get to the belt, I notice my Cam sprocket marks line up and I have 40 teeth between the left and right cam timing marks, and dizzy points to #1 plug, but from my LH sprocket mark to my crank mark I only have 40 teeth as well not 43, and the timing mark on the crank sprokect is pointintg to 3o'clock not 530 like the posts on here indicated, and also the piston screwdriver test does show that the piston is not compltetly at TDC.

So my question is, obviously Im three teeth off on the crank mark. I am not sure how long this has been like this(Sticker shows last timing job in 1997), and other then running rich the car ran fine, and it didnt make any noises or anything from the valve train, since Im not sure being 3 teeth off could damage valves or anything?

And is it as easy as turning the crank by it self three teeth over so everything lines up to fix this problem?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Mike

Move crank to 43 teeth between the LH timing gear and the crank, reassemble, and enjoy. I'm sure you know, but left-hand means the driver's side.3 teeth may not have bent anything, only way to tell is correct everything and run it and do a compression test.

Thanks for the quick reply. Im definitly going to do that.

Im not going to be able to put everything back together for a day or two, but is it possible being three teeth off and still run, yes it was super rich and idled at about 1200rpm, but other than that everything ran pretty smoothly.

Im just used to motors running like crap being a tooth off hehe.

Edited by bakon

I think you would notice if it was running 3 teeth off...

Did you remove your crank pulley and inspect the keyway, woodruff key? They have been known to shear or damage the crank snout. Definitely rule that out before buttoning it back up.

B

Thank you for the quick response precise.

My keyway is fine, one of the first things I checked when I got my harmonic balancer off.

I guess what really throws me off that like mentioned, other then running rich and idling at 1200rpm, the car ran fine before I tore into this.

Only reason I know that my crank is off by three theeth is because when I counted the marks from LH gear to my crank gear mark I only had 40 teeth, and the mark on the crank gear is also pointing to 3o'clock not around 530 like it should.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, any insight definitly helps, Im about to finish this project up today :).

If it ran, I imagine the valves are okay. Amazing that it ran like that... I'm interested to see if it feels much different when you put it back together.

Actualy thats exactly why I made this post thinking Im mising something, cause it ran so well, other then the fact that it smelled like it was dumping raw gas and idled at like 1200-1300rpm before and after warmup.

When you put it back together yours distributor might be off on the timing. Maybe they moved it to compensate.

Actually I'm glad you mnetioned that, cause one of my family members at xmas said the exact same thing yesterday, so I went to the garage quicklty to check something, and the dizzy is definitly clocked all the way to one side, not somewhere towards the middle like most older Datsun I did timing on before. Edited by bakon

So I hooked everything up, and the car started right up. I have a weird whistling noise, I looked it up and found its usualy the timing belt being too tigh, I at this point still think its somewhere from my intake area will investigate, I guess worst case Il tke it part again and relese some tensions heh.

Good news the high rpm and gas smell is gone, I didnt even touch the distributor yet, and she drives great.

One more question, I notiecd this truck has some weird cylinder thing for the rear brakes in the back. Is i safe to just get rid of that and relace it with a simple t-splitter? cause it just spells trouble, as I have to bleed my rear brakes anyways.

Edited by bakon

Well I was correct, the whistling sound is coming from the inside of my TB, gotta clean it up so it closes properly hehe. But yeah other then that, the car runs super strong, didnt even have to compenste with the distributor :).

Thanks for the responses and help.

• 3 weeks later...

There is also a load sensing valve in the brakes that keeps your back tires locking up during high speed braking( like we are locking up at 80 in our trucks) it's a weird valve that if you replaced with a T would probably trash your braking power... I believe the repair manuals have a brake bleeding order that you use ie: rear, load sending valve, front... Or something similar