ABS? Who else hates that crap?!

Kyle94

I've noticed since going to 33's that the pulse seems too slow to be effective anymore. I'm sure there is someone on here smarter than me who can explain why that has happened - like reduced wheel rpm with increased diameter and such...or maybe it's just in my mind.

My real wish? I'd like a switch-mod to temporarily disable my ABS while wheeling. It's mostly annoying to me, but at times it can be downright frightening - like when I'm completely nose down in Moab trying to inch my way to a soft landing (so as not to "endo") and it decides to pulse for the final 2 feet drop into a rough touchdown. Sometimes I'd rather just slide smoothly than pulse. Any ways, just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I'd rather be the controller of my brakes over the car. I had no problems controlling my car before. No matter what I do, it starts pulsing and it won't stop. Bs. I hit a curb today because it wouldn't stop. And once it starts ratcheting, it won't stop... So I'm left sliding out into the intersection... Either that or the r50s braking sucks that bad. Either way I'll be pulling the fuse and seeing how I like it.

If your sliding with ABS, you'll slide without. Plus with ABS at least when it pulses you still retain some steering ability.

Now, if your ABS kicks in everytime you brake. Either your always applying the brakes to late and to hard, or there may be a fault. However it would have to be a fault of it sensing faster wheel spin that what is actual.

If you still have a hard time, I would suggest finding a open area to purposely engage and it and learn to steer with it. Also, check to make sure your LSV is adjust properly. Could be out which is causing excessive force to front brakes and not enough to rear. (My truck on the other hand, doesnt seem to want to engage it but at the very extreme only. Which I have had to do only a few times; go go Miami traffic.)

• Like 1

I think something is amiss in your system. It shouldn't be sliding, and if you engage 4-Low then I believe ABS turns off. ABS is definitely something you want, there's a video of Mercedes testing their system in the 80s (those zany Germans!) and the benefits of ABS are unreal. Keep it and be safer for you and everyone else on the road.

• Like 2

My rear brakes don't hardly do anything... The front just skids along... I adjusted the rear drums. Get more pedal. But they just don't engage and it causes the front to slide. Never really paid attention to it. But the thing stops horribly.

Can I ditch the lsv as well??

Why not fix what's there? :shrug: I wouldn't suggest ditching parts because they don't work, I recommend fixing the ones that are there so it performs optimally, and can accept off-the-shelf parts. I believe the LSV is what apportions front/rear braking. Clearly there's an issue with your system, and it's not performing to factory spec. However, if you're hell bent on the idea, here's a related thread for the LSV's removal: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35864-lsv-load-sensing-valve-deleteremoval/

I guess im just a little old fashioned when it comes to a LOT of silly computer electronics driving for me... i did just fine in my wd21's with none of it. :)

Luddite. Just kidding :laugh::laugh::laugh: I would say that functional ABS is generally a really good advancement in 'modern' driving, right up there with airbags and seatbelts. Definitely better performance with it than without it, and it's not really driving for you, as you can still plow that pathy into a tree and it's not going to get in the way hahaha

All joking aside, check that all the sensors aren't plugged up. Maybe bleed the system and make sure there aren't any leaks.

I think this weekend (granted my steering rack bushings get here) ill be bleeding all of my brake system. if i had the money i'd get the rear drums turned (they're warped). Along with replacing my tie rod end and alternator, alternator belt, and power steering belt. Hopefully get rid of most of my issues dangit! lol

• Like 1

Something must be wrong cause abs is disabled when you go in 4 lo.... I.m sure i read that in the fsm(brake section)

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread-jack On

Thanks for that info, I figured everyone must be dealing with this issue so I never brought it up. It does NOT disable. I've been in 4Lo in snow/ice and it pulses as I apply the brakes.

Me thinks it's beyond my limited "fixin" capabilities to diagnose and repair, but I'd rather fix than try a work-around.

Thread-jack Off

one question Kyle, what was the road condition when this braking issue started? On dry pavement the ABS shouldn't be engaging unless you are standing on the pedal. My experience with the ABS is that when there is limited traction (ice or hard packed snow) it engages. in those conditions I need to slow down and brake sooner. Generally I feel that if the ABS has engaged then I've been driving to fast for the available traction. Are you using winter tires? they greatly improve stopping distances on slippery roads. M+S tires are not winter tires, they don't have enough sipping and are usually a harder rubber.

^^^^ that too. Makes a difference.

I hear you on the ABS throwing you off. Learned to drive in a 1980 GMC K25 long bed. Then drove a '81 Malibu for 8 years till I bought my first car with ABS. After that been a believer in it.

Sent from my Moto X!

I have nexen roadian MT's. They do great. There was one spot in a parking lot is what really set me off (read pissed me off). The ABS engaged when i barely had my foot on the pedal, and wouldn't let me stop. Almost rear ended a minivan if i hadn't of put it on the curb. I was going like 5 mph.

Edited by Kyle94

There is obviously something wrong with the system, either sensitivity or proportioning. Fix it, don't mod and remove it.

I guess im just a little old fashioned when it comes to a LOT of silly computer electronics driving for me... i did just fine in my wd21's with none of it. :)

Dude, you worry about the color of your phone! Next you'll swear that Bieber understands and incorporates the Blues... :rolleyes:

B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have nexen roadian MT's. They do great. There was one spot in a parking lot is what really set me off (read pissed me off). The ABS engaged when i barely had my foot on the pedal, and wouldn't let me stop. Almost rear ended a minivan if i hadn't of put it on the curb. I was going like 5 mph.

Remember also, if you are in slick conditions and your ABS engages stand on it, dont try to fight with it. it will do its job, u have to trust it.

Just goes to show caR50's weren't meant to wheel. airbags, four wheel abs, and pencil thin tie rod ends... jeez.

If you have a LSV (Load Sensing Valve), do not get rid of it. I doubt you do as it's more of a pickup thing. As you had weight to the rear of the vehicle it increases line pressure to the rear brakes, so that when you are texting&driving and happen to look up and see that traffic has stopped in front of you and you slam on the brakes, you won't spin out and die in a fiery car crash.