My next Nissan truck

ahardb0dy

I think I decided on my next Nissan truck, when I sell the Pathfinder I may start looking for a 2wd Hardbody, 97 would be nice, extra cab would be better than a regular cab ( more leg room for me I'm 6'1", plus room for a sub if I decide to install one), KA24 engine with a 5 speed. I know right away I will swap out the bench seat for a pair of pathfinder bucket seats and console, possibly down the road a set of Titan alloy wheels modified to fit, and I can swap my H4 Hella headlights right into it with no mods other than the upgraded wiring.

Maybe I can get my power rear sliding window installed too, would be nice to use it after all these years, and I can get my bed toolbox out of my yard and into the truck, I knew I kept it for a good reason all these years !!

Really don't need 4wd, would prefer it but I haven't been 4 wheeling since I got my PF and even when I had my 87 hardbody I only went one time too.

May need to get used to sitting lower in a 2wd than a 4wd would sit, wish Nissan made a pre run version like Toyota does.

But for now I think that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks the PF is def. being sold, THe bucket seats should be a bolt in since some of the hardbody's came with them, I may even find one with them already.

Not leaving the forum, don't worry.

• Like 1

Wd21 buckets are a direct fit in a HB, the threaded holes are in the floor pan and all. Just need 4 more bolts (obviously since there is 4 per bucket and only 4 that hold a bench in)

And there's plenty of ex-owners that are still parts of this community :aok:

Correct me if in wrong but don't the bucket seats sit a smig higher? I was thinking about doing it in my pickup and then I could have a center console, it's alrighty I tight fit with the lack of adjustment features, makes me wonder...

well as I said some hardbody's came with bucket seats so they should swap into yours no problem. I just meant if I happened to buy a hardbody that had a bench seat I would swap it out for bucket seats.

Does anyone know if it would be better to pick up a pre OBD2 truck over an OBD2 one? I don't want any problems like I am having with this newer sentra.

The king cab D21s all have bucket seats so no need to worry about that even though it's a direct bolt in and WD21 seats work perfectly. I would highly recommend a new cam if you go with a 96-97 D21. They seriously de-tuned the cam for 96. The result was less power and horrible fuel economy. I can personally verify that an O&J stage 2 cam and Pacesetter headers will not throw any codes on an OBDII truck. The power gain was noticeable and fuel economy actually improved. I was getting 22-23 mpg in town as long as I kept my foot off of the skinny pedal. This was with 18" Titan rims and 255-45-18 rubber. If you used a lighter wheel/tire combo you could probably see 25 mpg.

Edited by KovemaN

Good to know on the cams, my buddy (that I bought my PF from) has 2 hardbody 2wd pickups, thought he told me one was a 94 and the other a 96 and he was telling me last night one is a lot slower than the other.

I really don't care what year I get as long as it is decent, just figured 97 was the last year of the body style so would be good to look for a 97 but I'm open to anything that looks and runs good.

Edited by ahardb0dy

If you want to make a trip, there's a D21 in my area. King cab, 2wd, automatic I believe. 29,000 miles. $3000. Guy says it runs better than a new truck. Has sun faded paint though (try finding an old Nissan that doesn't).

It's a 1990 or 91. Might be older than you're looking for

Edit: it's a 1990 with 34k miles and it is a 5 speed. Asking $3000, but it's been on CL for months. Kinda sad actually.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/4229670310.html

Edited by fast5speed

Thanks for the heads up, out of my price range.

D22, Frontier right? Thanks, want to stay with the D21 body style, and the first gen frontier I absolutely can not stand the front end, I think it is the ugliest front end Nissan ever used on a pickup, anything newer than a first gen Frontier would be out of my price range.

I basically need to find a POS that I can rebuild slowly like I did my PF, I have the technology, LOL Not saying my PF was a POS when I bought it, well other than needing an engine,

Sorry,

Thanks for the suggestions, once I sell my PF I will really start looking, money in hand goes a long way in haggling.

When I bought my 90 sentra, the guy wanted $750, I wasn't even trying to talk him down I was telling the truth when I told him I only had $500 on me, and he tells me, "I'll tell you what, give me $580 for the car, $500 plus the $80 the ad cost" OK !! DONE !

As pro "21" as I am, next 'planned' (read-not for a very long time or a necessity) next 'purchase' is on the "22" frame. As much as I don't want to say it I want 4 doors next round and ether want a quad cab frontier or an x (don't judge :lol: )

Of course if a 2wd wd21 falls in my lap I could make a nice highway truck out of that...

I want to try to stay with the D21 hardbody body style, I don't care, as I said for the early frontier front ends. I like the later one's but no way I could afford the prices, I mean if I found one that needed an engine or something and it was real cheap I could do that. I'm not against putting money or time into a truck, engines are easy to find, JDM if possible. MY mech that does my big jobs is more than reasonable for me, he charged me $500 to swap the engines in my PF, and he swapped the 4 speed trans for my new 5 speed and replaced the clutch cable in my 90 sentra for me for $80 so I can't complain about his prices.

OF course a running truck would be better, if it looked like crap I can work with that. I've been looking on craigslist and other places, will start looking more seriously once the PF is gone.

If you want to make a trip, there's a D21 in my area. King cab, 2wd, automatic I believe. 29,000 miles. $3000. Guy says it runs better than a new truck. Has sun faded paint though (try finding an old Nissan that doesn't). It's a 1990 or 91. Might be older than you're looking for Edit: it's a 1990 with 34k miles and it is a 5 speed. Asking $3000, but it's been on CL for months. Kinda sad actually. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/4229670310.html

If that was closer I'd be all over it! :laugh:

And OP, I agree with you on the front end of the frontier- love the usability, but so plain. I'm sure Nissan went through endless designs and sessions, but it still got hit with the ugly and boring stick. Later ones look better, but for me finding a king cab, 4x4 with LSD was too tough.

I guess it depends on the area of the country you live in on the availability of 4x4 trucks. When I was looking for a frontier to buy new years ago, most dealers down here in Florida only had 2wd trucks, I looked on the web site for the Nissan dealers back home in NY and almost every truck was a 4x4. Never got a frontier as after we went to the local dealer to look at one we determined it was too small for our needs and my wife happened to notice a red Titan that someone had just traded in and that was it, we left the same day with the Titan, it was 2wd but she wanted it ! LOL, Don't have it anymore, should have kept it.

The D21 when it was introduced in 1986.5, was just so far ahead of every other manufacturer in it's styling, I feel the other manufacturers basically had to copy the styling. it was so much more of a rounded look compared to the 720 that came before it.

When I bought my 87 hardbody brand new, I looked at the Toyota 4x4 first but they did not have a V6 in 87 and that is what I wanted so I bought the Nissan.

Here is brochure I scanned while back, just a beautiful truck:

27y96ac.jpg

30uzi2f.jpg

153tki9.jpg

20gliu0.jpg

15mhfnd.jpg

n3qiyp.jpg

i6forn.jpg

fnh56w.jpg