Timing Belt Help...TDC question

amo1dun

Excuse my ignorance fellas,

Doing Tbelt and water pump....

Trying to set what I think is TDC...I have the cam marks aligned and the indicator on the cover is pointing at the 0 mark on the damper. But the rotor isn't pointing at the 1 spark plug...its off a little pointing more to where the coil wire would go on the cap. First time doing this so I want to make sure its right before i go any further...I searched around and looked in my haynes but its kinda vague. what am I missing here? Can anyone shed some light? I have 1 day to do this..

I don't think it should point right at #1, maybe a bit before.

Here, this might help...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/12828-how-to-change-your-timing-belt/

I just read that whole thread....thought I had everything all set....double checked by pullin dizzy cap and saw that Im not at #1 so im at a stand still ....its more pointing to 6 oclock....where as the #1 is at 7 oclock...

Yeah the rotor doesn't point exactly to #1. Make sure the cam sprockets are lined up to the marks, make sure the crank sprocket matches its mark. Make sure the crank pulley lines up to 0 on the timing tab. Then count teeth (unless your belt came marked, in which case just make sure the belt marks line up with the sprocket marks.

Once the belt is on and tensioned, spin the engine by hand once or twice to make sure nothing is binding and you should be fine. If I remember correctly the rotor pointed to just before or just after the #1 contact on the cap. Look in the FSM, its posted in the garage section , I think under how-tos. Gives a decent picture as to what the distributor should look like when installed

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36075-pictures-of-the-timing-marks-88-vg30i/ Here is a picture of the cam marks I used. If I remember right I thought the distributor was off, but it ended up being that the electrode inside the cap does not line exactly up with where the spark plug wire attached. It was something along those lines.

I just finished up my timing belt. the factory marks on the belt were waaaay off>

i set top dead center by using a rod in the number one cylinder turned over the motor by hand untill tdc was reached. i then set the belt by teeth count method. i used a gates belt and the white markes were off by 5 teeth in both directions>

do not over tension the belt it is very easy to over tension it.

so I got everything bac together and now i have a surging idle....idles at 2300 rps and then starts surging to 1800 back to 2300...Also put a new coolant temp sensor in but still surges like crazy...does this sound like a timing issue?

Check the ECU for codes first, before you push it off of a cliff. :D

That and check all connectors as well, try moving them when it is running to see if there is a change.

It sounds like something is not hooked up right or has failed...

B

Ok, checked everything again. Seemed ok. Pulled the chts connector while it was surging and it evened out but still high idle. Buttspliced a new chts connector on and its back to normal...wtf?